Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-08-13, 10:22)Branphma Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

so I finally got my NUC (i3 Version) a couple of days ago.

I am running Windows 8.1 witch 4 GB of Ram and a 64 GB SSD. Everything seems fine except that the NUC has difficulties handling the XBMC menus smoothly.
My main skin is arctic but the performance is horrible with the NUC :-( However the performance monitor shows only a max workload of ca. 75% of all componentns (cpu,gpu,ram)

From different statements here on the forum I got the impression that the NUC could handle nearly anything perfectly smooth.
Would the i5-Version show a significant performance boost?

Would be glad about your opinions on that.
Cheers!

That's odd. I've run XBMCBuntu, Openelec, Linux Lite with XBMC, and XBMC on top of Windows and the menus for all are smooth. I work for Intel so I test as many configurations as I can. I haven't seen an issue with sluggish menus on any of the NUCs, including the Ivy Bridge and Celeron models.

Seems like there must be something else going on.

Jason
(2014-08-13, 06:08)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ][quote='JasonHoffman' pid='1772126' dateline='1407899668']
[quote='voip-ninja' pid='1771884' dateline='1407869179']

3. I don't even know if 27 fixed the issue I was originally trying to squash... random power-up of the NUC... have to monitor that.

All in all this has been a huge PITA. I feel like my part time job is nursing this NUC into doing what I want... it's even more frustrating because half the stuff I run into, nobody (but me) gives a crap about.

I can't say for sure if it will have fixed it for you, but I can say that since moving to 27 I no longer see the random power on, which I was seeing before. It made for a few interesting conversations with my wife:
"Honey, did you leave the UC on?"
"No"
"Well it's on."
"Well I turned it off."
"Ok, I think we have a ghost then."
"A ghost with a remote control?"

Anyway I've been running it for a couple of weeks and my NUC hasn't spontaneously turned itself on at all.

Jason
(2014-08-13, 17:22)JasonHoffman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-13, 06:08)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ][quote='JasonHoffman' pid='1772126' dateline='1407899668']

3. I don't even know if 27 fixed the issue I was originally trying to squash... random power-up of the NUC... have to monitor that.

All in all this has been a huge PITA. I feel like my part time job is nursing this NUC into doing what I want... it's even more frustrating because half the stuff I run into, nobody (but me) gives a crap about.

I can't say for sure if it will have fixed it for you, but I can say that since moving to 27 I no longer see the random power on, which I was seeing before. It made for a few interesting conversations with my wife:
"Honey, did you leave the UC on?"
"No"
"Well it's on."
"Well I turned it off."
"Ok, I think we have a ghost then."

Anyway I've been running it for a couple of weeks and my NUC hasn't spontaneously turned itself on at all.

Jason

Ah, well that's a possible silver lining to this whole mess... I found the one other person who powers down/up the NUC, runs OpenElec, and gives a crap if it turns itself on!

I will be hoping that this issue is resolved too. It's pretty much the only reason I felt the need to upgrade the FW... and created all of these other headaches for myself.
(2014-08-13, 17:22)JasonHoffman Wrote: [ -> ]

Pro.... Big Grin
Good news for Win 8.1 users:

Someone recently posted the "exclusive mode" fix for the Dolby Digital+ Netflix bug. This workaround apparently causes problems with XBMC bitstreaming. An Intel employee just posted this on the Intel forum:

"Hi all,
I have an update from the engineering team. A new audio driver that fixes this problem is currently in the final validation phase. I've tested it and it WORKS! So, stay tuned - the problem with Dolby Digital 5.1 on Netflix is soon going to be a thing of the past!
Lois"

Would have been nice to have this fixed a year ago, but this is really the biggest bug plaguing the Windows NUC (since SuperHD Netflix is pretty much the only reason to use Windows over openelec).
LOL 50 bucks says it somehow manages to get netflix 5.1 working but STILL doesnt give us bitstream HD audio from XBMC. I know the problems are similar (to do with windows not understanding the supported output formats of the HDMI connection) but the cynic in me has seen too many days pass and too many unhelpful responses from the Intel people! It's good to hear that a release is coming soon, and we can now wait to see whether it actually does fix the problem
What's the current status of the i5 NUC and it's IR receiver working out of the box with OpenELEC? I remember having to fiddle with a script when I first installed XBMCBuntu, but am planning a reinstall and hoping things are somehow figured out!
I believe the ir issue is fixed in openelec.
(2014-08-14, 04:17)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]but STILL doesnt give us bitstream HD audio from XBMC.

Bitstream HD audio works under windows 8.1
(2014-08-14, 07:12)ratzofftoya Wrote: [ -> ]What's the current status of the i5 NUC and it's IR receiver working out of the box with OpenELEC? I remember having to fiddle with a script when I first installed XBMCBuntu, but am planning a reinstall and hoping things are somehow figured out!

Mine is an i3, but the i3 and i5 are essentially the same (the CPU is the only component that's different). With the latest bios the remote works with Openelec without the need to modify anything.
(2014-08-14, 15:16)JasonHoffman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-14, 07:12)ratzofftoya Wrote: [ -> ]What's the current status of the i5 NUC and it's IR receiver working out of the box with OpenELEC? I remember having to fiddle with a script when I first installed XBMCBuntu, but am planning a reinstall and hoping things are somehow figured out!

Mine is an i3, but the i3 and i5 are essentially the same (the CPU is the only component that's different). With the latest bios the remote works with Openelec without the need to modify anything.

The power on is working but unless something changed a line in autostart.sh is still needed for the IR to work once OE is booted. When I had my recent problem I removed this line and the IR stopped working.
A couple of weeks ago I installed Openelec fresh and didn't have to modify any scripts for the remote to work. The only change I made was enabling the "remote sends keyboard presses" option, but I don't know that it had anything to do with the remote working or not.

Believe me if I'd had to get into a script I'd remember.
(2014-08-14, 08:23)Crssi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-14, 04:17)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]but STILL doesnt give us bitstream HD audio from XBMC.

Bitstream HD audio works under windows 8.1

oh right, this is the haswell i3/i5 thread and indeed bitstream HD audio works just fine on my haswell i3 NUC. I was getting confused as I also have Celeron 2820 NUCs and the Celerons don't do bitstream HD audio under windows due to PAP (protected audio path) issues - intel hasn't (or perhaps cant) release an IME driver for the Celeron which is what is required on every other system where it works. Netflix has similar issues on the Celeron and I believe it was something to do with them using DD EX or something like that. Sorry for getting confused, and bummer that there is no light at the end of the tunnel for Celeron HD audio still
(2014-08-14, 15:50)JasonHoffman Wrote: [ -> ]A couple of weeks ago I installed Openelec fresh and didn't have to modify any scripts for the remote to work. The only change I made was enabling the "remote sends keyboard presses" option, but I don't know that it had anything to do with the remote working or not.

This is what I've got in my autostart.sh

Code:
OpenELEC:~ # more /storage/.config/autostart.sh
#!/bin/sh
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir && echo "auto" | tee /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources && modprobe nuvoton-cir
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

The first line was required when I initially loaded Gotham based OE 4.x to get IR to work after initial boot (the 2nd line sets RGB output to "full" on HDMI port 1 to fix some white/black crush issues with my particular TV/AVR combo).

However, you are correct. I just commented it out a second time and the IR is still working. I'm pretty sure though that if I took this line out and tried to use my older Windows Media Center remote profile it would still fail. I specifically did that during troubleshooting and discovered that the remote stopped working when I took that line out.

This all makes me feel like I should just do a fresh install of OE, but have little energy for it at the moment.
(2014-08-14, 17:10)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-14, 15:50)JasonHoffman Wrote: [ -> ]A couple of weeks ago I installed Openelec fresh and didn't have to modify any scripts for the remote to work. The only change I made was enabling the "remote sends keyboard presses" option, but I don't know that it had anything to do with the remote working or not.

This is what I've got in my autostart.sh

Code:
OpenELEC:~ # more /storage/.config/autostart.sh
#!/bin/sh
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir && echo "auto" | tee /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources && modprobe nuvoton-cir
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

The first line was required when I initially loaded Gotham based OE 4.x to get IR to work after initial boot (the 2nd line sets RGB output to "full" on HDMI port 1 to fix some white/black crush issues with my particular TV/AVR combo).

However, you are correct. I just commented it out a second time and the IR is still working. I'm pretty sure though that if I took this line out and tried to use my older Windows Media Center remote profile it would still fail. I specifically did that during troubleshooting and discovered that the remote stopped working when I took that line out.

This all makes me feel like I should just do a fresh install of OE, but have little energy for it at the moment.

Are you using an MCE profile on a Logitech remote or something? I had an Xbox remote and couldn't get the power on to work for the life of me.