Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-08-19, 23:40)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]My haswell i3 nuc is doing 24p output and bitstream hd audio to an onkyo 705 receiver, running Windows 8.1,I imagine the i5 would be no different

This is in XBMC, I don't use plex

why did you get an i3 instead of an i5? I want to buy another nuc, what is the i5 getting me if i do not use the nuc for anything except watching movies (full bitrate blu-ray disc rips) and live tv in WMC?
(2014-08-20, 04:46)TheReef510 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-19, 23:40)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]My haswell i3 nuc is doing 24p output and bitstream hd audio to an onkyo 705 receiver, running Windows 8.1,I imagine the i5 would be no different

why did you get an i3 instead of an i5? I want to buy another nuc, what is the i5 getting me if i do not use the nuc for anything except watching movies (full bitrate blu-ray disc rips) and live tv in WMC?

Power consumption, heat, draining of bank account...

I got an i3 because I wanted a pure XBMC box that is only for watching tv/movies so that's all I needed. I have other PC/servers for things like gaming, torrents, sickbeard, video editing, TV backend, a NAS for file storage etc. I have one i3 and 2 celeron NUCs and all of them do a good job. I dont see any reason to pay more on a more powerful i5 when that power is not required for the tasks you need it for
(2014-08-20, 08:14)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]

I got an i3 because I wanted a pure XBMC box that is only for watching tv/movies so that's all I needed. I have other PC/servers for things like gaming, torrents, sickbeard, video editing, TV backend, a NAS for file storage etc. I have one i3 and 2 celeron NUCs and all of them do a good job. I dont see any reason to pay more on a more powerful i5 when that power is not required for the tasks you need it for

Is the motherboard the same, except for the two cpus? I need it to do the following (which the i5 already does):

Turn on the nuc from s5 state from both WOL and ir command.
Bitstream hd audio and 24p (but you all already confirmed it does this)
Have a msata and sata port (i want to put a large hdd in the sata port to use as a dvr)

So between the two, the specs are identical except the cpu?
(2014-08-20, 15:27)TheReef510 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-20, 04:46)TheReef510 Wrote: [ -> ]why did you get an i3 instead of an i5? I want to buy another nuc, what is the i5 getting me if i do not use the nuc for anything except watching movies (full bitrate blu-ray disc rips) and live tv in WMC?

Is the motherboard the same, except for the two cpus? I need it to do the following (which the i5 already does):

Have a msata and sata port (i want to put a large hdd in the sata port to use as a dvr)

The SATA port is on the motherboard, not sure how you would break it out of the chassis since there is no power provided for running a full size HD... you'd probably have an easier time using a USB 3 enclosure and plugging it into the NUC that way.

Yes, otherwise, as far as I know they are identical aside from the CPU.

i5 is overkill for an XBMC box... not sure though if the i5 CPU would provide some kind of benefit for handling interlaced content that you record from a cable tuner.

Again, NUC is not expandable really.. beyond a couple of USB ports. You put in your RAM and your MSATA (or if you get the Celeron based NUC your 2.5" SSD) and you turn it on.
(2014-08-20, 04:46)TheReef510 Wrote: [ -> ]why did you get an i3 instead of an i5? I want to buy another nuc, what is the i5 getting me if i do not use the nuc for anything except watching movies (full bitrate blu-ray disc rips) and live tv in WMC?

Get this...

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...0wykh.html
or its equivalent in i3

both units have space for both msata and SATA... Smile (i bought the i3 model Nod)
(2014-08-20, 19:36)solamnic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-20, 08:14)scarecrow420 Wrote: [ -> ]I got an i3 because I wanted a pure XBMC box that is only for watching tv/movies so that's all I needed. I have other PC/servers for things like gaming, torrents, sickbeard, video editing, TV backend, a NAS for file storage etc. I have one i3 and 2 celeron NUCs and all of them do a good job. I dont see any reason to pay more on a more powerful i5 when that power is not required for the tasks you need it for

Get this...

or its equivalent in i3

both units have space for both msata and SATA... Smile (i bought the i3 model Nod)

yeah, im sorry i wasnt clear before. that is exactly the model i was referring to. I dont want to burn up the SSD in the nuc by constantly doing writes to it by using it as a DVR so I need to have at least a regular dvr storage drive and just use the msata drive for the OS. Seems like the consensus is that I can go with the i3 and save a hundred bucks. I'll definitely give it a shot, thanks everyone for all the responses.
Fair enough, in my case I don't need any storage in the nuc (except for os drive) as I have a TV server backend on a separate machine. Either way, sounds like the i3 will suit you so go for it
Honestly my experience with SSD has been that they can take an incredible beating. I know that they're pricey compared to rust but using them as a preprocess before moving video to a NAS you would probably go years before you burned one up.

Also, I have both an i3 and an i5 NUC of this generation. The i3 handles everything just fine but I run a full desktop on the i5 and compile XBMC regularly so I wanted the extra power. Otherwise you cannot tell the difference and I even ended up marking them to make sure I wouldn't get them mistaken for one another moving them around lol.
I really should put my celerons through more paces because I just checked the prices and they are literally half the price of the i3 now ($160 AU vs $320 - $350 depending on FYK or FYKH). In my case I have an i3 in the media room with the 65" Panasonic VT60 where I thought I may wish to run demanding 3D content and generally want the best experience I can get, whilst I use the celerons in the lounge room (46" LCD) and bedroom (32" LCD). In all cases they are handling anything thrown at them, although it's also fair to say that we dont often watch the most demanding high bitrate content in the bedroom etc. Given the price difference though, going for Celerons (particularly if its just basic usage on additional home locations rather than primary home cinema type usage) is a good option
(2014-08-21, 03:17)BLKMGK Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly my experience with SSD has been that they can take an incredible beating. I know that they're pricey compared to rust but using them as a preprocess before moving video to a NAS you would probably go years before you burned one up.

Also, I have both an i3 and an i5 NUC of this generation. The i3 handles everything just fine but I run a full desktop on the i5 and compile XBMC regularly so I wanted the extra power. Otherwise you cannot tell the difference and I even ended up marking them to make sure I wouldn't get them mistaken for one another moving them around lol.

Well, i already had a few 2.5 hdds laying about when i replaced all of them with ssds. Anyway, i put them into 3 computers to use as dvr drives and i havent yet noticed a bit of slowness. Using tb ssds is too rich for my blood. Smile

Do you feel the i3 nuc has enough power for upcoming video compression codecs. Id like to have the nuc last a while and ill gladly pay for the i5 if that means more future proofing in *just* the htpc arena. I just dont know enough to know the difference between the two for just this use.
I7 barely has enough for next gen codecs, I wouldn't count on NUC doing this for awhile yet.
Hi!

I finally managed to get dualboot running with Win 8.1 and Openelec. I was very disappointed to see, that there's still the standby bug! Is it just me, or do you also have still problems with going to standby / shutting the nuc off in Openelec?

I'm on FW 27, btw.
@voip-ninja

What next gen codecs? My i5 does HEVC without breaking much of a sweat.
(2014-08-21, 12:21)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]@voip-ninja

What next gen codecs? My i5 does HEVC without breaking much of a sweat.

What resolution? 4K 2160p, 1080p or 720p? And what framerate.

My i5 NUC certainly can't handle 2160/60p HEVC...