Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sounds like you haven't set content correctly on your top level tv folder. Can you confirm your settings.
(2013-11-28, 00:01)zoroeyes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-27, 23:38)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I can turn mine on with my HTC One using an IR app for Android emulating a rc6 MCE remote.

Hi arokh

Are you saying you have full ir boot-up/shut down on your Haswell nuc? If so you're the first person I've noticed who can do this with the new nucs. I thought so far that everyone could possibly power down but not back up again.

Can you give details of your bios version and anything you might have tweaked to enable full power on/off functionality. It's the only thing stopping mine from being the complete solution.

Cheers

Hi
I come up with a solution that works on 3 new nucs here and couple on the forum also tested it and its working.
Try this:
Play a movie. Press STOP 2 times, Power off with remote. It should stay Off.
Power on with the remote again.

S4/S5 in bios should be disabled.

May take a couple of tries to make it work.

(2013-11-28, 00:04)prae5 Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like you haven't set content correctly on your top level tv folder. Can you confirm your settings.

If you mean me, i set NFS share, added the folder i have my movies, set content to movies, enabled movies are in separate folders.

I do the exact same procedure with SMB and it works flawlessly.

I use Imyllaris builds r16441, r16417, r16408.
(2013-11-28, 00:01)zoroeyes Wrote: [ -> ]Are you saying you have full ir boot-up/shut down on your Haswell nuc? If so you're the first person I've noticed who can do this with the new nucs.

I have full IR boot and shutdown on my i5 Haswell NUC (Bios v21). Running OpenELEC 3.2.4 with an Harmony One emulating a Windows MCE remote. BIOS set to defaults.
whats the difference between 3.2.4 and Imyllaris latestbuild r16441?
Openelec.tv is down for maintenance so i cant see whats in the new stable release.

Cant download the new stable release for testing Sad
Happy Thanksgiving All! Catch up with you on the other side.
Would it be possible for someone to summarize what the NUC can and cannot do depending of the version of the NUC that we have (i3, i5)? Maybe something like that:

Audio Passthrough
DTS --> yes
DTS-HD HR --> no
DTS-HD MA --> yes
Dolby Digital --> no
Dolby Digital Plus --> yes
Dolby True HD --> no

Video output
2D
3D SbS (side-by-side)
3D TaB (top-and-bottom)
etc..

Video refresh rate
24p
30p
etc...

is there any other information that could by summarized?
(2013-11-28, 01:26)skoub Wrote: [ -> ]Would it be possible for someone to summarize what the NUC can and cannot do depending of the version of the NUC that we have (i3, i5)? Maybe something like that:

Audio Passthrough
DTS --> yes
DTS-HD HR --> no
DTS-HD MA --> yes
Dolby Digital --> no
Dolby Digital Plus --> yes
Dolby True HD --> no

Video output
2D
3D SbS (side-by-side)
3D TaB (top-and-bottom)
etc..

Video refresh rate
24p
30p
etc...

is there any other information that could by summarized?

i3 and i5 both do all of this.

(2013-11-28, 00:16)LastMile Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-28, 00:01)zoroeyes Wrote: [ -> ]Are you saying you have full ir boot-up/shut down on your Haswell nuc? If so you're the first person I've noticed who can do this with the new nucs.

I have full IR boot and shutdown on my i5 Haswell NUC (Bios v21). Running OpenELEC 3.2.4 with an Harmony One emulating a Windows MCE remote. BIOS set to defaults.

Same here on my i3 , and with the nightlies. Haven't even flashed the bios.

Power on from full off with ir is one of the features of the new nuc.
(2013-11-28, 00:38)Ravetrancer Wrote: [ -> ]whats the difference between 3.2.4 and Imyllaris latestbuild r16441?
Openelec.tv is down for maintenance so i cant see whats in the new stable release.

Cant download the new stable release for testing Sad

The new 3.2.4 doesn't fix the colors/blacks, and it has several broken features (FLAC 6.1 channels due to the outdated ffmpeg, auto forced subtitles,...) which are fixed in the gotham builds.
Got my new i3 Haswell kit in today.

Followed the recent instructions, and within 45 minutes, I had my NFS network shares playing a 30gb TrueHD MKV as smooth as butter.

Colors look pretty great to me overall. UI and general responsiveness is just great.

For those of you that are hesitant about moving forward with the Haswell NUC... let me tell you: don't be! It's a really, really nice device for XBMC.

Thanks to all for the help/support/fixes!
(2013-11-27, 11:03)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-27, 03:19)tehbrd Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't seen an issue with passthrough on frodo with r16438. I'm at 60 and don't have any issues (as yet).

The issue is with HD audio passthrough, not DTS/AC3. Did you try that?

Not yet, but I will test it tonight. One thing I did note that I've had a couple of lockups on public generic x64 nightly (r16438).

(2013-11-28, 00:01)zoroeyes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-27, 23:38)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I can turn mine on with my HTC One using an IR app for Android emulating a rc6 MCE remote.

Hi arokh

Are you saying you have full ir boot-up/shut down on your Haswell nuc? If so you're the first person I've noticed who can do this with the new nucs. I thought so far that everyone could possibly power down but not back up again.

Can you give details of your bios version and anything you might have tweaked to enable full power on/off functionality. It's the only thing stopping mine from being the complete solution.

Cheers

Mine works fine as of nightly r16438. No special configuration appeared to be required, likely it was simply patched (I was thinking it was acpi related on my nuc).
(2013-11-25, 20:02)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]Haswell HDMI audio fix on alsa-devel, although I don't think this will fix the HD audio issues. Here are links though if anybody wants to take a look:

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermai...68230.html
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermai...68229.html (cosmetic)
I just tested these, and they fix the garbled output with 5.1 speaker configuration. Combined with https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3721 I can play 5.1 FLAC and PCM properly (5.1 channels active, audio fine).

I'm still seeing audio device hangs with HBR audio passthrough. Trying 3.13-rc1 next - that has some other audio fixes too.
(2013-11-28, 00:16)LastMile Wrote: [ -> ]

Man what am I doing wrong then?

To be fair, my harmony 900 remote has just lunched itself after failing half-way through a firmware update so I'm waiting for support on getting it so it can do something other than just show me the logitech splashscreen!.

Therefore I'm stuck with the xbmc iOS app at the moment, but there's no way that is powering the nuc on from a full off (using Imyllari's latest build).

I do have one of the very early MCE remotes (for the original xbox) but I think that had it's own ir receiver, anyhow, that has no effect on the nuc whatsoever, whether it's on or off. I'm just puzzled as to why I'm struggling here, maybe I need an ir remote for the power on, in which case it's back to getting the Harmony 900 fixed.

Does anyone know of a cheap remote that just works (i.e. powers on and off etc) that I could pickup until my harmony is sorted? I also take it that, for those running the harmony, you've just selected a device as a media center pc, by manufacturer: microsoft, and just given it a name of xbmc, because that's about all mine will let me do (it doesn't offer you devices to pick form).

I'm also a little confused as to what the ir reciver on the nuc understands:

"arokh Wrote: I can turn mine on with my HTC One using an IR app for Android emulating a rc6 MCE remote."

So, with the built-in receiver, the nuc understands rc6 remotes? Without having to explicitly use/install lirc? (I've been looking through the remote wiki and it seems to push lirc heavily).

Cheers
So is DTS-HD Master and DTS TrueHD working? How about 3D and WOL?

Would be handy if we could get a Wiki page for the Nuc like the Ouya has that can put peoples expectations where they should be.

I would but I have never edited a wiki before.
(2013-11-28, 04:55)docpaul Wrote: [ -> ]Got my new i3 Haswell kit in today.

Followed the recent instructions, and within 45 minutes, I had my NFS network shares playing a 30gb TrueHD MKV as smooth as butter.

Colors look pretty great to me overall. UI and general responsiveness is just great.

For those of you that are hesitant about moving forward with the Haswell NUC... let me tell you: don't be! It's a really, really nice device for XBMC.

Thanks to all for the help/support/fixes!

How does your kit look like? Want to order mine today Smile