Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-11-28, 00:10)Ravetrancer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-28, 00:01)zoroeyes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-27, 23:38)arokh Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I can turn mine on with my HTC One using an IR app for Android emulating a rc6 MCE remote.

Hi arokh

Are you saying you have full ir boot-up/shut down on your Haswell nuc? If so you're the first person I've noticed who can do this with the new nucs. I thought so far that everyone could possibly power down but not back up again.

Can you give details of your bios version and anything you might have tweaked to enable full power on/off functionality. It's the only thing stopping mine from being the complete solution.

Cheers

Hi
I come up with a solution that works on 3 new nucs here and couple on the forum also tested it and its working.
Try this:
Play a movie. Press STOP 2 times, Power off with remote. It should stay Off.
Power on with the remote again.

S4/S5 in bios should be disabled.

May take a couple of tries to make it work.

(2013-11-28, 00:04)prae5 Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like you haven't set content correctly on your top level tv folder. Can you confirm your settings.

If you mean me, i set NFS share, added the folder i have my movies, set content to movies, enabled movies are in separate folders.

I do the exact same procedure with SMB and it works flawlessly.

I use Imyllaris builds r16441, r16417, r16408.

I also use Imyllaris last build and I have full power on/power off from remote (Microsoft MCE) without problems or reboots, I don't have to press double stop as others. I have these problems on 3.2.x build to be clear, of course S4/S5 disabled in BIOS (default), I have also power management in BIOS set to lower energy not for performance (default) I don't remember exaclty what is the name of this setting on Power tab in BIOS.
It doesnt look any different than described here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...video.html
(2013-11-28, 10:47)zag Wrote: [ -> ]Ask for a login here

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165868

Then edit this page here

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Intel_NUC

Thanks found the Nuc page after I posted haha

Requested an account.
Can someone PLEASE answer me:

1. I can't get into the bios anymore. I activated Fast boot, now the first thing I see is the the Peter Anvil title. I tried to push F2 very fast, but it didn't work...

Solution to that from Intel:

Power button recovery
The power button can be used to recover if you encounter Fast Boot problems.

From a powered off state, press and hold the power button for about two seconds, release it when you hear three short beeps.
The BIOS follows a normal boot path, as if Fast Boot is disabled.

2. Why doesn't the usb HDD spin down - even in standby mode? I activated the option in Openelec settingsHuh

HELP
(2013-11-28, 11:24)mstef Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-28, 00:10)Ravetrancer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-28, 00:01)zoroeyes Wrote: [ -> ]Hi arokh

Are you saying you have full ir boot-up/shut down on your Haswell nuc? If so you're the first person I've noticed who can do this with the new nucs. I thought so far that everyone could possibly power down but not back up again.

Can you give details of your bios version and anything you might have tweaked to enable full power on/off functionality. It's the only thing stopping mine from being the complete solution.

Cheers

Hi
I come up with a solution that works on 3 new nucs here and couple on the forum also tested it and its working.
Try this:

(2013-11-28, 00:04)prae5 Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like you haven't set content correctly on your top level tv folder. Can you confirm your settings.

If you mean me, i set NFS share, added the folder i have my movies, set content to movies, enabled movies are in separate folders.

I also use Imyllaris last build and I have full power on/power off from remote (Microsoft MCE) without problems or reboots, I don't have to press double stop as others. I have these problems on 3.2.x build to be clear, of course S4/S5 disabled in BIOS (default), I have also power management in BIOS set to lower energy not for performance (default) I don't remember exaclty what is the name of this setting on Power tab in BIOS.

Thanks mstef, I'm thinking perhaps its the fact that i dont currently have an ir remote i can try, what with the harmony being useless due to corrupt firmware. I thought that perhaps the xbmc iOS app might wake the box on LAN, but this does nothing, so I'm guesing that the nuc must require ir input to be woken from a full shut down (I don't suppose someone could try the xbmc app and tell me whether they're able to WOL from a full shutdown?).

As it stands, this is all I have to crack, everything else is working fine and I'm mighty impressed with the nuc (the i5 is awesome and the i3 would be fine, but I like the future-proofing, what with 4K around the corner).

Just gotta get this boot-up on ir/WOL sorted, then it's setting up ServerWMC for the TV backend...... oh god, I'm trying not to think about it.

Cheers
(2013-11-28, 12:00)micoba Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone PLEASE answer me:

1. I can't get into the bios anymore. I activated Fast boot, now the first thing I see is the the Peter Anvil title. I tried to push F2 very fast, but it didn't work...

Solution to that from Intel:

Power button recovery
The power button can be used to recover if you encounter Fast Boot problems.

From a powered off state, press and hold the power button for about two seconds, release it when you hear three short beeps.
The BIOS follows a normal boot path, as if Fast Boot is disabled.

If you can't get back in using power button recovery, use the CMOS/BIOS Recovery methods here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034211.htm (choose 'Settings where changed in BIOS' option).

Given all the reported button problems with the NUC I've left fast boot off for now. It disables all USB/Video until the OS starts.
Thanks for the answer, but I used the solution described by Intel and could solve the problem in seconds.+

But what about the issue with the external HDD? Does yours spindown? Mine only after complete shutdown, which by the way only works with the stop trick (I'm on OE 3.2.4). Regarding the hdd spindown problem none of the posted images here helped.
Just ordered my NUC:

Intel NUC Barebone (Intel Core i3 4010U) BOXD34010WYK2
Kingston 60GB mS200 SSD (mSATA) SMS200S3/60G
Crucial 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SODIMM (1x 8GB, 1600MHz) CT102464BF160B

Smile
Where is the best place to buy the NUC Haswell i3?
(2013-11-28, 12:18)zoroeyes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-28, 11:24)mstef Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-28, 00:10)Ravetrancer Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
Try this:

Thanks mstef, I'm thinking perhaps its the fact that i dont currently have an ir remote i can try, what with the harmony being useless due to corrupt firmware. I thought that perhaps the xbmc iOS app might wake the box on LAN, but this does nothing, so I'm guesing that the nuc must require ir input to be woken from a full shut down (I don't suppose someone could try the xbmc app and tell me whether they're able to WOL from a full shutdown?).

As it stands, this is all I have to crack, everything else is working fine and I'm mighty impressed with the nuc (the i5 is awesome and the i3 would be fine, but I like the future-proofing, what with 4K around the corner).

Just gotta get this boot-up on ir/WOL sorted, then it's setting up ServerWMC for the TV backend...... oh god, I'm trying not to think about it.

Cheers

I didn't try WOL, I'm just using Microsoft remote and power button on top of NUC and both works very well. I tried lastes OE build and it works the same.
Hi mstef

Would you mind sending me a link to the remote you're using so I can consider purchasing one, until I sort my harmony out (it'll come in handy for another room anyhow I expect).

Also, you're using it without a separate IR receiver right? I.e. you're just pointing it at the NUC's own IR receiver and it's all good?

And I take it you're using the autostart.sh in order to load the IR module software on boot?

Cheers
(2013-11-28, 14:31)zoroeyes Wrote: [ -> ]Hi mstef

Would you mind sending me a link to the remote you're using so I can consider purchasing one, until I sort my harmony out (it'll come in handy for another room anyhow I expect).

Also, you're using it without a separate IR receiver right? I.e. you're just pointing it at the NUC's own IR receiver and it's all good?

And I take it you're using the autostart.sh in order to load the IR module software on boot?

Cheers

I don't know if/where you can buy it now, here is picture http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/2006/11/...fig-21.jpg
And I use internal NUC IR receiver with 3-line code in autoexec.sh, of course.

I alse have XBOX black remote which I can normally use without power on function, it doesn't works.
Thanks mstef

I too have one of the old xbox controls, like the one pictured, but black with a separate xbox button below the clear/enter buttons. Yes, I've tried it with the NUC, it does nothing, regardless of whether I've already powered the NUC on or not, so I guess that one is useless.

Might have a look out for one like yours though, thanks for the picture.

Cheers
(2013-11-28, 14:49)zoroeyes Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks mstef

I too have one of the old xbox controls, like the one pictured, but black with a separate xbox button below the clear/enter buttons. Yes, I've tried it with the NUC, it does nothing, regardless of whether I've already powered the NUC on or not, so I guess that one is useless.

Might have a look out for one like yours though, thanks for the picture.

Cheers

You can also try this one, it is MS compatible, should works too:
Just a FYI, when it's booted you can program the NUC to work with any remote. The power toggle on MCE remotes (rc6 protocol) works to turn on the NUC.