Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't think modprobe cares whether you use _ or -.
(2013-11-30, 20:54)BLKMGK Wrote: [ -> ]I guess that depends on what you mean by MySQL not working...

yes this is exact configuration I've on my mind. This is popular setup and it keeps me with official 3.2.4 OE right now.

MS W7/8 its too much for only playing movies and LiveTv and nfs is problematic, full Linux distro would take to much time with setting and updating. OE is small print, very recent and dedicated to my needs.
(2013-11-30, 20:54)BLKMGK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-30, 20:22)bardek Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-30, 20:17)BLKMGK Wrote: [ -> ]Just his remote workaround and my SQL attempted madness.

so you saying that mysql does not work on his build?

I guess that depends on what you mean by MySQL not working. XBMC and I assume Openelec don't usually use this functionallity. My configuration is unusual and one that's generally only useful if you have multiple XBMC installations and you want to share a database for what's been viewed etc. At this point I'm also not sure that there's an issue only that I know I'm having troubles with it right now. I do not think it's strictly NUC related at this point and looking in my XBMC logs I can see the settings being loaded. However Wireshark on my SQL instance (ESX) shows no SQL traffic from my NUC. <shrug>

Unless you really need access to a remote SQL database I wouldn't sweat it. This could still be a configuration issue on my part Confused or perhaps an issue with the XBMC\OE build.

Not that unusual. Many people use mysql. I think your permissions may be wrong on advancedsettings.xml. you could probably check from a debug log, it'll tell you what is being read from advancedsettings.xml.
(2013-11-30, 21:24)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think modprobe cares whether you use _ or -.

also dont care for info that module is wrongly named Smile
DUMB QUESTION ALERT!!!!!

ive just gotten into the nuc world. my i5 haswell nuc along with memory, msata, and windows 7 will be here Wednesday.

which leads me to my DUMB QUESTION......

what is the most successful HDMI cable used? i was thinking of this one....

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=10...1&format=2

hoping it would be sufficient. any input would be greatly appreciated.
(2013-11-30, 21:28)bardek Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-30, 20:54)BLKMGK Wrote: [ -> ]I guess that depends on what you mean by MySQL not working...

yes this is exact configuration I've on my mind. This is popular setup and it keeps me with official 3.2.4 OE right now.

MS W7/8 its too much for only playing movies and LiveTv and nfs is problematic, full Linux distro would take to much time with setting and updating. OE is small print, very recent and dedicated to my needs.

Honestly with my track record setting this thing up making stupid mistakes I wouldn't let my issues dissuade you - the NUC is proving to be a very nice box and OE makes setting it up pretty simple. Up until this point I'd always setup my own desktop builds and compiled myself. However the NUC has been quirky enough that going the OE route was simply the easier path - my thrashing aside. Sadly I've been unable to build OE myself but wow building this thing makes XBMC look like a picnic! I would agree that a Windows OS makes no sense for this!

Nickr - I think my permissions are okay as they match my other files. My XBMC log shows that the file is being read, looking further into it I see issues with the SQL connection that I hadn't noticed before - it's trying for sure! OE can ping the SQL machine, there's no firewall in play is there? That could certainly explain this issue if there were! My desktop is able to open an SQL connection using the same creds and information without issue.

Bardek, if I were you I'd pull the trigger on this - this issue is solvable.

(2013-11-30, 21:37)Bryman31 Wrote: [ -> ]DUMB QUESTION ALERT!!!!!

ive just gotten into the nuc world. my i5 haswell nuc along with memory, msata, and windows 7 will be here Wednesday.

Seems pricey, I bought this for less -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRMU...UTF8&psc=1
I am not aware of any firewall in openelec. Does openelec have a mysql client to test with?
(2013-11-30, 21:55)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I am not aware of any firewall in openelec. Does openelec have a mysql client to test with?

Nothing comes up when I try mysql or SQL so I think not. Google finds nothing for this subject other than how to set it up which I have done correctly judging from how my other machine is accessing it (and is currently rebuilding my music database too!). apt-get is disabled on OE, no surprise there Smile I find no mention of a firewall with OE either. <shrug>

The software version I'm on is pretty much Alpha software (Gotham) so truly, don't base any go\no-go decisions on this bump in the road. It likely works fine in other builds and can be fixed.

DING DING!!!!!

I'm not the only one with this issue -> http://openelec.tv/forum/112-mysql-setup...nuc-client

Will follow this and figure it out, wow it may really be a NUC issue after all lol. Solvable, buy a NUC! ;-)

Seems pricey, I bought this for less -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRMU...UTF8&psc=1
[/quote]

thanks for that! ill get that one.

much appreciated!
Quick question, is the hardware intel video decoding activated in the newer lmyllari openelec built ? (i5 D54250WYK)

And the IR shutdown problem, is it bypassed in the Imyllari builts ?

Because in the normal openelec nightly builts I don't see the option VA-API in the playback list.

Tnx Imyllari for your work !
Under the Settings type make sure Expert is selected. It starts on Standard, which has no options.
(2013-11-30, 23:28)djbase666 Wrote: [ -> ]Quick question, is the hardware intel video decoding activated in the newer lmyllari openelec built ? (i5 D54250WYK)
No change from nightlies. It should be working in both.

Quote:And the IR shutdown problem, is it bypassed in the Imyllari builts ?
No change from nightlies for this either.

Monoprice is a great source for cables - I pretty much buy all mine from there. But ya thats pretty high end and will not make a difference since the HDMI signal is digital. I actually order my cables for the nuc from here (non redmere):

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10242

Ernie
(2013-11-30, 23:37)lmyllari Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-11-30, 23:28)djbase666 Wrote: [ -> ]Quick question, is the hardware intel video decoding activated in the newer lmyllari openelec built ? (i5 D54250WYK)
No change from nightlies. It should be working in both.

Quote:And the IR shutdown problem, is it bypassed in the Imyllari builts ?
No change from nightlies for this either.

Oke thanks for the quick response!

Is there a sollution for the IR shutdown & reboot problem ?

Greetz,

Djbase
A workaround for the SQL issue, a common issue it turns out, is to place a sleep command in the autostart.sh file. This isn't optimal and this doesn't get run on a restart but it DOES solve the problem for me and hopefully others. Looking at journalctl it looks like I might even be able to cut the sleep down further but for now 10 seconds isn't bad. XBMC logs show no problems connecting to my SQL server now. I strongly suspect any i3 NUC user (and likely i5) who wishes to use an SQL server as I am will run into this. there may be a more elegant solution but for now this is working for me and mirrors what others have done. Nerd

I've simply added the following to my autostart.sh:

Code:
#attempt to fix SQL connection issue

sleep 10

Update: Well I'm learning more about Openelec! If you go into system, Openelec, Network, then scroll that dialog DOWN to unhide an Advanced Network Setting named "Start XBMC after network" or somesuch you will have found the secret to solving this. You can set the max wait time too! Rolleyes I guess this was common enough to get built into the Openelec software Smile