Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-12-04, 20:31)Peppin Wrote: [ -> ]Finally got my Apple remote working Smile
I used this tutorial: http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-rem...ilt-and-ir

I'm experiencing quite some remote lag, even compared to my AT2 XBMC setup. Tried different remotedelay, remoterepeat settings but didn't get any better. Is it due the NEC protocol of the Apple remote? Or is the just the NUC CIR? Are there no-lag remotes in the house?

I didn't make a remote.xml, since functionality-wise everything is working well. Does that might have to do with it?

Is it possible to get the Apple remote working with the nuc where xbmc installed on windows 8.1 ? Huh
(2013-12-07, 08:49)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]So HD Audio and 23.976 is working? Did you have to create a custom modeline for the refresh rate to set correctly?
No need for modelines at all. Recent intel linux drivers detect the supported CEA modes from the EDID data and have the standard modelines built in. They generate the 1000/1001 variants (23.976 and 59.94) automatically.

You get accurate refresh rates including 23.976 and 59.94 out of the box on Haswell without any configuration.

HD audio works otherwise, but using refresh rate matching with it sometimes triggers a bug that disables audio.
For those that got Mint working on their Nuc, I have a (probably silly) question. I booted from a USB Drive and chose the "Install Mint" option so I could install to my SSD, which looked normal and everything went great. I just did the "Express" option and had it do the install for me.

Now it's done, but when I remove the USB drive and try to boot, the SSD does not appear to be bootable. I can SEE the drive in my bios, but it's not showing up as a boot option under UEFI or when I go directly to the boot menu on startup.

Any ideas?
Anyone using wireless with their NUC?

Just got an intel ac-7260 card to try out ( for one specific room where I don't want to run cat6). Problem is, in openelec I can see my network but when I enter the pass phrase it say 'associating' for a short while then goes back to 'idle' resulting in no connection?

I know the wireless LAN works fine so I was wondering if there is more I can do on openelec to configure the adaptor or the wireless settings? It looks a little too basic to me?

Any help here would be great thanks.

Oh I'm using Imyllari's build with the black/grey fixes in (think it's based on Gotham)

Cheers
Power button on the brand spanking new replacement nuc just stopped working. This thing is really starting to piss me off. Hit the button, it hung on load, held the button and it started blinking, wouldn't stop. Unplugged from power, replugged. Button is fried. Now I can only wake on lan again. ARRRRRGHGHGHHGHGHHGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It also reboots once on shutdown and also often hangs on shutdown. Others are past this somehow?

Just updated to bios 22, no change. What in the sam hell is going on here?

In short, I'm back to a dos prompt to turn this on. Wife used it once successfully for the first time last night after almost a month of me fiddling with this thing "to get it set up right". I think she's going to throw it out the window. Sad
Since the old days of MCE in a desktop, I yearned for a small PC for the lounge room.
Bought a i3 Haswell NUC and tried to boot OPenElec on a USB key. No go.

Then installed Ubuntu to a 60 g mSata HDD - intending to add XBMC - but again the NUC failed to boot up.

Installed W7 to the mSata HDD and it boots up OK. I have not installed a wireless card.

But
[1] I have NEVER been able to access F2 Setup

[2] the NUC does not recognize that a Cat5 cable is connected.

Any thoughts ?
SadTIA
(2013-12-08, 01:12)dfdeath Wrote: [ -> ]For those that got Mint working on their Nuc, I have a (probably silly) question. I booted from a USB Drive and chose the "Install Mint" option so I could install to my SSD, which looked normal and everything went great. I just did the "Express" option and had it do the install for me.

Now it's done, but when I remove the USB drive and try to boot, the SSD does not appear to be bootable. I can SEE the drive in my bios, but it's not showing up as a boot option under UEFI or when I go directly to the boot menu on startup.

Any ideas?

Okay, if you look at the release note sit tells you how to fix this..... However... I tried this just last night and no-go. The files it claimed would be copied into a specific EFI directory weren't there and I was forced to solve this the way I was previously. To do that I used a Rescue Distro just built for this purpose. I'm not at home right now to get you the exact name but booting with this and using it I've been able to rescue both Ubuntu and Mint with no problem.. It's like the original install doesn't see the UEFI when it installs for some reason, I'm not sure why... Once you do this it boots fine and the UEFI bios will show a new boot drive under the UEFI boot section.

I'd love to know the right way to fix this but booting from a USB stick and mounting the original disk I don't ever see the right files (shrug)

(2013-12-08, 04:07)pdlb71 Wrote: [ -> ]Since the old days of MCE in a desktop, I yearned for a small PC for the lounge room.
Bought a i3 Haswell NUC and tried to boot OPenElec on a USB key. No go.

Then installed Ubuntu to a 60 g mSata HDD - intending to add XBMC - but again the NUC failed to boot up.

Installed W7 to the mSata HDD and it boots up OK. I have not installed a wireless card.

But
[1] I have NEVER been able to access F2 Setup

[2] the NUC does not recognize that a Cat5 cable is connected.

Any thoughts ?
SadTIA

Go into the bios boot options and change the boot order to boot USB first. You say you cannot go into the bios, do you never see the message to hit f2? Do you spam f2 during boot to try and get it? Tried a different keyboard? Not booting Ubuntu or Mint out of the box is "normal" and requires a fix like I've listed above or in the release notes to solve.

P.s. how did you install Ubuntu if it won't boot from USB? What steps exactly did you use to build the Openelec stick?
Got it--that makes sense. If you could get the name of the Rescue Distro you used I would appreciate it. I'm wondering if it was rEFInd?

EDIT: Just tried rEFInd and it worked Smile

(2013-12-08, 04:10)BLKMGK Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, if you look at the release note sit tells you how to fix this..... However... I tried this just last night and no-go. The files it claimed would be copied into a specific EFI directory weren't there and I was forced to solve this the way I was previously. To do that I used a Rescue Distro just built for this purpose. I'm not at home right now to get you the exact name but booting with this and using it I've been able to rescue both Ubuntu and Mint with no problem.. It's like the original install doesn't see the UEFI when it installs for some reason, I'm not sure why... Once you do this it boots fine and the UEFI bios will show a new boot drive under the UEFI boot section.

I'd love to know the right way to fix this but booting from a USB stick and mounting the original disk I don't ever see the right files (shrug)
(2013-12-08, 03:15)Clack Wrote: [ -> ]Now I can only wake on lan again. ARRRRRGHGHGHHGHGHHGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same here - WoL or IR as the power button on mine doesn't wake it. Gonna try to attach a power button to the onboard headers, when I get around to it, to see if that has the same behavior as the built-in power button.
I'm thinking this for my NUC build that will double as a HTPC and my computer:

Crucial Single 8GB DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) Notebook Module, CT102464BF160B

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC3...ory+module

Crucial 240GB mSATA SSD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...24G15X2755

Intel NUC D54250WYK, Mini HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, USB 3.0, Intel HD Graphics 5000, 4th Gen Intel Core i5-4250U

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-D54250WYK-Di...=D54250WYK

Intel Network 7260 HMWG WiFi Wireless-AC 7260 H/T Dual Band 2x2 AC+Bluetooth HMC

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Network-7260...etooth+HMC

Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-...itech+k400

I'll pick up another 8GB to extend the RAM later. And the monitor is a:

http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-gw2750hm

Thoughts?
Now that my NUC has stabilized, I thought I'd share my experiences in case others are interested. I have the i5 NUC (D54250WYK), with a similar build to bmstrong's post above. I'm running a dual boot configuration of Windows 8.1 (which runs primary Plex Media Theater at the moment) and the Gotham Nightlies of OpenElec.

Getting a stable dualboot system was a bit of a hassle. I followed guide in the OpenElec Wiki, but soon found that restarting from OpenElec would result. in a "machine not ready" bios boot error. More searching showed that the ExtLinux 4.xx bootloader used in the guide can have this issue with EFI bioses like the NUC had. OE now ships with version 5.10, so a simple "/usr/bin/extlinux -i /flash" command from SSH updated it, but unfortunately did not come with the updated .c32 files needed for the boot menu. I eventually found all of those (kernel.org download) and was good to go.

In the end however, the extlinux bootloader menu is not worth the hassle, as it can't be controlled by the remote as far as I can tell, so I'll likely default it to OE, then when I need windows, if I hold down Shift or Alt at boot, I can get the menu prompt and switch.

Once the dual boot was sorted, the remaining tweaks were all found in this awesome thread. Remote is working fine in OE thanks to the Autostart change. HD Audio works great, as long as I don't select "Automatically match refresh rates" -- still hoping that last bug gets squashed. I had to enable the "wait for network" setting in OpenElec settings because I use a mySQL library... Without that setting the system cold boots to OpenElec in like 2.5 seconds. Even with it, it is still usable in well under 10 seconds (windows boot is around 5-8 seconds too).

I've found in the gotham nightlies there are a couple of my videos that don't play perfectly with the VAPI hardware decoding enabled (some pixelations), so for now I'm using the multithreaded software decode which seems to be working just fine. I'll play with this some more, and eventually file a bug if needed.

Really, I can't thank folks in this thread enough -- especially lmyllari -- for all your efforts to make this such a great solution for XBMC.
If someone wants to list all the facts and fixes in this thread I will update the first post.
(2013-12-08, 22:59)zag Wrote: [ -> ]If someone wants to list all the facts and fixes in this thread I will update the first post.

that would be wonderful
(2013-12-08, 22:59)zag Wrote: [ -> ]If someone wants to list all the facts and fixes in this thread I will update the first post.

PLEASE! Big Grin