Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@stokd - you absolutely can - check out advanced-launcher (wiki)
(2013-12-11, 22:11)stokd Wrote: [ -> ]This looks like it will be used for both XBMC and my CableCard Windows Media Center. Just ordered one and am looking forward to using this with Win 8.1. I just have to figure out if I can navigate between between WMC and XBMC with an IR remote, and have to read through 120 pages of forum to figure out everything.

Grabbed a D34010WYK for $267 at http://www.frys.com/product/7930130
Grabbed a 60GB Intel mSATA SSD for $79.99 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820167152

Prices are dropping like a rock now that general availability has started! That's a great price, congrats! You may want to add a wifi/Bluetooth card as well as some memory to finish it up. I expect you'll be pretty pleased with it :-)
(2013-12-11, 23:12)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]@stokd - you absolutely can - check out advanced-launcher (wiki)

Thanks - that will come in handy! Guess my last hurdles will be whether I can get the tuner sharing to work between my Win7 Ceton machine and the NUC. Fingers crossed. And making sure the Frodo MySQL library is compatible with Gotham builds.
(2013-12-12, 01:00)stokd Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-11, 23:12)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]@stokd - you absolutely can - check out advanced-launcher (wiki)

Thanks - that will come in handy! Guess my last hurdles will be whether I can get the tuner sharing to work between my Win7 Ceton machine and the NUC. Fingers crossed. And making sure the Frodo MySQL library is compatible with Gotham builds.

Check out PseudoTV Live by Lunatixz its still a work in progress but an excellent program which can really improve the way you use xbmc.
(2013-12-12, 01:00)stokd Wrote: [ -> ]

The library should upgrade itself but if you have new and old clients on the same server things will get out of synch between them.
Picked up a D34010WYK earlier today, and have been having a hell of a time getting things set up. I downloaded the Generic X86_64 version of OpenELEC nightly build r16519, popped it onto a USB key, and tried to get things installed. I was under the impression (which could be the problem), based on some of what I've read here, that OpenELEC would support UEFI booting. Yet so far, any time I even touch it in the BIOS it renders the machine completely useless. Tried multiple ways of getting the USB key recognized (playing with gparted, using Rufus to format for EFI, building it in both Windows and Linux), but that was a complete non-starter. Once I got OpenELEC on, it refuses to recognize the SSD in UEFI whatsoever. Even tried loading Boot-Repair but it did nothing (GRUB options greyed out, pretty obviously, but even trying to run the standard repair it does absolutely nothing). I've tried searching here to no avail (most of the posts in this thread seem to be UEFI issues with Linux Mint, and not XBMC/OpenELEC specific), and spent about 2 hours trying to hack together Google searches for OpenELEC forum threads to read from cache (as they're still down), so I figured I'd ask here....am I completely missing something or should I just give up on OpenELEC completely and deal with a full Linux install?
(2013-12-11, 15:17)kish1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all,
Just receive my i3 NUC today, running latest version of the nightly build via USB, first impressions amazing! Plays 30gig+ mkv files with DTS HD, still getting a few micro stutters with video and DTS True HD the audio drops out every 10 seconds or so but all looking good!

I don't want to be rude, but " still getting a few micro stutters with video and DTS True HD the audio drops out every 10 seconds" is hardly what i would call 'looking good'.

my boxee box does all that without the stutters...

im still holding off on buying one of these because of all the reported headaches.
(2013-12-12, 07:27)NoLoveForFrank Wrote: [ -> ]Picked up a D34010WYK earlier today, and have been having a hell of a time getting things set up. I downloaded the Generic X86_64 version of OpenELEC nightly build r16519, popped it onto a USB key, and tried to get things installed. I was under the impression (which could be the problem), based on some of what I've read here, that OpenELEC would support UEFI booting.

I have a few suggestions (I installed OpenElec without any issues, using the bios defaults, and the windows cmd script that comes with openelec to create the bootable USB key):
- Have you got it set to boot from USB first? hit (I think) F10 for the boot menu as it starts and select the USB device -- this worked for me using the bios defaults
- try a different USB key. On a previous build (non-NUC) I found it a little picky about which USB key it would boot from

I didn't use the pre-built nightly (I built from scratch), but they should be built the same way.
(2013-12-12, 07:27)NoLoveForFrank Wrote: [ -> ]Picked up a D34010WYK earlier today, and have been having a hell of a time getting things set up. I downloaded the Generic X86_64 version of OpenELEC nightly build r16519, popped it onto a USB key, and tried to get things installed. I was under the impression (which could be the problem), based on some of what I've read here, that OpenELEC would support UEFI booting. Yet so far, any time I even touch it in the BIOS it renders the machine completely useless. Tried multiple ways of getting the USB key recognized (playing with gparted, using Rufus to format for EFI, building it in both Windows and Linux), but that was a complete non-starter. Once I got OpenELEC on, it refuses to recognize the SSD in UEFI whatsoever. Even tried loading Boot-Repair but it did nothing (GRUB options greyed out, pretty obviously, but even trying to run the standard repair it does absolutely nothing). I've tried searching here to no avail (most of the posts in this thread seem to be UEFI issues with Linux Mint, and not XBMC/OpenELEC specific), and spent about 2 hours trying to hack together Google searches for OpenELEC forum threads to read from cache (as they're still down), so I figured I'd ask here....am I completely missing something or should I just give up on OpenELEC completely and deal with a full Linux install?

The service guy who helped me a bit, said you need to select LEGACY.
(2013-12-12, 07:48)Dropbear67 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-11, 15:17)kish1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all,
Just receive my i3 NUC today, running latest version of the nightly build via USB, first impressions amazing! Plays 30gig+ mkv files with DTS HD, still getting a few micro stutters with video and DTS True HD the audio drops out every 10 seconds or so but all looking good!

I don't want to be rude, but " still getting a few micro stutters with video and DTS True HD the audio drops out every 10 seconds" is hardly what i would call 'looking good'.

my boxee box does all that without the stutters...

im still holding off on buying one of these because of all the reported headaches.

Something wrong with his setup obviously, it's a Haswell CPU and it performs like other Haswell CPU's, which is good. I'm guessing he has sync playback to display or something enabled which he shouldn't. There are some issues of course as you can see from this thread but during playback it's perfect.
My NUC finally arrived
Just installed Windows 8.1 / XBMC on it and configured Logitech Harmony One to power on the Device.
Everything works just fine for now Smile
I didn't like the default Intel Color Scheme, so I changed a couple of Settings there, but now it looks OK for me. (for now Smile)
(2013-12-12, 17:01)Camlann Wrote: [ -> ]My NUC finally arrived
Just installed Windows 8.1 / XBMC on it and configured Logitech Harmony One to power on the Device.
I didn't like the default Intel Color Scheme, so I changed a couple of Settings there, but now it looks OK for me. (for now Smile)
Congrats! Smile

How is the remote lag with the Harmony One?
A big "Thank You" to all the posters on this thread for sharing their info and knowledge about the Intel NUC and OpenElec. After receiving my D54250WYK yesterday, I fired it up this morning with an OpenElec nightly that I had been testing on test server. The entire purpose of my switch to the NUC from the C-200 Popcorn Hour is the playing of 10Bit MKV files. Secondary YAMJ was becoming problematic, overly complicated, and now rewritten to support newer hardware which IMHO stinks.

The file listed below played great! 17.1 Mbps bit rate (10Bit MVK) (High [email protected])

Just for reference NUC has 8 gigs of ram and 60 gig mSATA running latest OpenElec nightly.

General
Unique ID : 234983119767204599225269968296712000503 (0xB0C81A4923B1C42A9D8F605F7566D3F7)
Complete name : /Volumes/hptank/Media/TV/10Bit Test/[Commie] Ghost in the Shell Arise - 02 [BD 1080p AAC] [E215ADCE].mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 6.67 GiB
Duration : 55mn 55s
Overall bit rate : 17.1 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-12-09 05:54:23
Writing application : mkvmerge v6.6.0 ('The Edge Of The In Between') built on Dec 1 2013 17:55:00
Writing library : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.1
Attachment : Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 16 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Writing library : x264 core 129 r2245+729M 1a52e03
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=16 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / fade_compensate=0.80 / psy_rd=0.80:0.25 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=6,6 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / fgo=0 / bframes=16 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=17.0 / qcomp=0.80 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=81 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.10 / aq=3:0.70
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Title : Commie
Language : Japanese
Forced : No

Text
ID : 3
Format : ASS
Codec ID : S_TEXT/ASS
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Sub Station Alpha
Compression mode : Lossless
Language : English
(2013-12-12, 17:20)Peppin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-12, 17:01)Camlann Wrote: [ -> ]My NUC finally arrived
Congrats! Smile

How is the remote lag with the Harmony One?

Well, it's bad as it used to be from Day One on, but I accustomed to it Wink
(2013-12-12, 17:53)Camlann Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it's bad as it used to be from Day One on, but I accustomed to it Wink

I recently bought the latest harmony smart control remote and it is such a huge improvement on the harmony one.

The lag killed it for me, the new one is so much better. Not perfect but better Smile