Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-02-13, 22:33)superfreak79 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-13, 22:30)privado Wrote: [ -> ]Could anyone confirm that this box works with the two imges from the first post in this thread ?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wholesale...13750.html

"AML8726-MX Cortex-A9" - Yes it should. Good price too. Note: The seller says contact for best price Cool

ok I think I screwed up my friends box, ive been trying to load it for ever (keeping in mind I am very new at all of this and could use a little help) I have tried to follow the instructions on the 1st page but it all ways fails, the box I am trying to load is the same one in the link from above......I would be grateful for ANY help some one can give me either getting it back to the android original firmware or to load Linux xbmc or point me in the right direction
Hi everyone.

I'm having some trouble with my XBMC here.
I'm FTP-ing from my Laptop to my ATV1200 with XBMC via FlashFXP. So far so good. (login: root / password: letmein)
But when trying to copy files to the external usb-hdd it says "read-only filesystem".

Is there any way to change this? Haven't found a solution so far.

Any help much appreciated.
I would love to turn my ATV1200 into a dedicated XBMC box, getting rid of Android (The Android version always loses my skin settings in XBMC). Hence I'd like to shift to the Linux version with XBMC, even though I am a complete Linux Noob.

Here is the embarassing bit. I can't get past the first stage of the instruction listed in the first post, even though I have tried both the installation methods listed in the first post of this thread.

1. When I try and install the XDA Linux XBMC version, I can boot into Recovery mode, and see the screen see you pictured in the first image in post #211 of this thread. There is no "Install from EXT" option on that screen, as you can see in Superfreak79's picture. If I do select "apply update (*.img)" from that screen, I can then navigate to Udisk, but having done so, it does not find the MX_LINUX_PRERC2-TEST1-STVMX-update.zip file, even though the usb stick with this file in the root directory has been inserted in the ATV1200. Even if I rename the file to .img (not .zip), the box still does not see the file on the usb stick.

2. When I try and install the Geniatech Linux XBMC version, I cannot get the box to do the blank-screen update described with the requisite files on an SD card inserted into the box. I can get into the recovery screen as described above, but even after holding the reset button for 10 seconds, and leaving the box for several minutes, the box just doesn't do anything.

I am assuming the reset button on the rear of the ATV1200 functions as the "upgrade" button referred to in the instructions - I can't find any other button on the box.

Do I need to do something specific when formatting the SD card or USB stick in windows so they will work for this purpose?

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here? Thanks for any help in advance.

One final question: is there any reason to prefer one of these linux XBMC version over the other?
Update:

I read that I have to use ssh. (ftp is read-only).
But when I try in in flashfxp it says:

[R] [info] subsystem request for sftp failed, subsystem not found.
[R] [execute] /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
[R] [execute] /usr/lib/sftp-server
[R] [execute] /usr/local/lib/sftp-server
[R] [execute] /usr/libexec/sftp-server
[R] [execute] sftp-server
[R] Verbindung fehlgeschlagen (Unable to access SFTP sub-system, operation failed.)
malcolmbarr:

Some of us have problems reverting from Geniatech Linux/XBMC back to Android, so you might want to try the XDA version first. The XDA version has a problem with timezones but has a better 'power off' function. The Geniatech version works flawlessly except for reverting back to android.

If you can get to the recovery screen by holding down the reset button, your problem is probably with the SD card or USB stick. Make sure that they are formatted as FAT32.

Try the XDA version first so that you can revert back to Android if you're not satisfied.

tinker

Animus:

If you are using a Windows PC, use Putty for Windows to access the My Gica. It works 'out of the box' and is easy to set up.

tinker
I have a pair Sumvision Cyclone X2, one i have managed to get the Geniatech Linux xbmc on OK. The other one i have managed to turn into a brick, red light only.
I have tried all of the tricks/boot cards to try and bring it back to life with no luck so the only thing left is to try a serial cable, i would be grateful if some one who has had success with these cables in the UK could provide me with a link to where i could buy one, i could then get it sent to me in the Caribbean.
Thanks
Tinker - thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

I just made sure a USB stick was formatted with FAT32 and put the XDA zip file on it, booted into recovery mode on the ATV1200, and the the issue is still the same as before. If I select "Update from *.img" and navigate to the the Udisk folder, it just doesn't see anything on the USB stick. I will try copying the file to another USB stick and another SD card and trying again, but I don't think the specific media I am using is the probelm.

Any other ideas?
So I copied the XDA zip file to another USB (formatted with FAT32). I also created a folder on the USB stick called test, copied the zip file into it, and renamed it as .img. When I boot into recovery mode and selecet "Upgrade from *.img" and then Udisk, there is nothing to select into the USB root directory, although the test folder is listed. If I select the test folder, it does not list the .img file within it.

This is driving me mad!
Hooray! I got the XDA version to install.

Windows on my PC was set not to show file extensions and that was causing me problems.

To get the XDA version to install on the ATV1200, I had to rename it to .img from .zip before the Android recovery would recognise it and apply the upgrade.

Someone may want to put that information in the first post in this thread.
malcolmbarr:

Good! Stick with the XDA version for now. The only issue is that the timezone won't function but that will be fixed in a future update. The bonus is that the power button on your remote will actually turn the box off and on like it should.

If you want to get a quick start, you can use the XBMC Backup Addon to back up a version of XBMC on another machine, like your PC, and then restore it on the XDA version. This will port all of your addons and most of your settings. Install the XBMC Backup Addon on both versions, backup from your PC's version, copy it to a USB stick then restore it to your XDA version.

This worked great for me.

tinker
I already used putty, tinker. But actually I have no idea what to do with it.
It seems it really does connect with my box. Should I just keep it running in the background and use my sftp client as desired? Should it work that way?
Because it doesnt.

I'd really love to use the graphical interface of flashfxp.

Sorry for the annoying noob questions.
Animus:

Read through this entire thread and you'll find the commands we used in SSH with Putty to copy/move files 'mv', list files 'ls', change directories 'cd', edit file with 'vi' and so on. Also Google 'Linux Putty', 'Linux SSH commands' and 'Linux vi commands'. It's really not that hard to learn the basic kind of stuff like we're doing here. Do the SMB mod to smb.conf we discussed earlier in this thread for practice. You can then browse the files in Finder (Mac) or Windows Explorer (Windows) at least, but not write to them. That's what Putty is for.

So, really, Putty and SSH (Secure SHell) are the way to go if you want to get anything done.

tinker
(2014-02-16, 16:17)malcolmbarr Wrote: [ -> ]I would love to turn my ATV1200 into a dedicated XBMC box, getting rid of Android (The Android version always loses my skin settings in XBMC). Hence I'd like to shift to the Linux version with XBMC, even though I am a complete Linux Noob.

Here is the embarassing bit. I can't get past the first stage of the instruction listed in the first post, even though I have tried both the installation methods listed in the first post of this thread.

1. When I try and install the XDA Linux XBMC version, I can boot into Recovery mode, and see the screen see you pictured in the first image in post #211 of this thread. There is no "Install from EXT" option on that screen, as you can see in Superfreak79's picture. If I do select "apply update (*.img)" from that screen, I can then navigate to Udisk, but having done so, it does not find the MX_LINUX_PRERC2-TEST1-STVMX-update.zip file, even though the usb stick with this file in the root directory has been inserted in the ATV1200. Even if I rename the file to .img (not .zip), the box still does not see the file on the usb stick.

2. When I try and install the Geniatech Linux XBMC version, I cannot get the box to do the blank-screen update described with the requisite files on an SD card inserted into the box. I can get into the recovery screen as described above, but even after holding the reset button for 10 seconds, and leaving the box for several minutes, the box just doesn't do anything.

I am assuming the reset button on the rear of the ATV1200 functions as the "upgrade" button referred to in the instructions - I can't find any other button on the box.

Do I need to do something specific when formatting the SD card or USB stick in windows so they will work for this purpose?

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here? Thanks for any help in advance.

One final question: is there any reason to prefer one of these linux XBMC version over the other?

You need to change the extension of MX_LINUX_PRERC2-TEST1-STVMX-update.zip to MX_LINUX_PRERC2-TEST1-STVMX-update.img for recovery to see it and you have to use a sdcard.
The sdcard has to be formatted with FAT
If you can get Geniatech version going I'd go for that till at least the next version of XDA

EDIT: Didnt see tinker had already helped you out

Hey Animus

What exactly did you want to do?
Thanks so far tinker. I'll give it a try.

I want to organise my external usb hdd on my box via my laptop. (copying movies, fanart, etc.)
So I dont have to plug and unplug it all the time. Worked like a charm on my modded xbox with xbmc.
But from what tinker wrote, I guess it's not gonna work that way.
(2014-02-17, 18:37)Animus Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks so far tinker. I'll give it a try.

I want to organise my external usb hdd on my box via my laptop. (copying movies, fanart, etc.)
So I dont have to plug and unplug it all the time. Worked like a charm on my modded xbox with xbmc.
But from what tinker wrote, I guess it's not gonna work that way.

Another thing you can do is to transfer media files from a USB stick to your box using XBMC's File Manager (in the submenu below 'System' on the home page). Plug the USB into the laptop and copy your media files to it. Then put the USB in your ATV to copy file to the external drive. You'd never have to unplug it that way. If you have an ATV1200, you should have enough USB ports. If not, use an SD card to transfer files.

It's good to do it this way because you then safely point your addons to save to the external hard drive without worrying about what happens if it's not there.

XBMC's File Manager is intuitive and easy to use. The context menu of a file give options to move, copy, delete files etc.

tinker