Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-03-30, 13:08)AuXBoX Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-30, 12:48)ciquta Wrote: [ -> ]is the wifi now working on ATV520 with XDA release?

I think so, please try and give feedback, I personally don't have an atv520. If it turns out that wifi doesn't work you can always revert back to android and then back to version you have at the moment
they says wifi broadcom not working

i am sure the ATV520e has broadcom so i guess the ATV520 too
AuXBoX:

Found a very interesting thread on Google +. It's creator has a method to duel boot Android and Linux on the same box. It involves adding a custom boot loader to NAND to intercept the boot sequence and look for a bootable SD card. If it finds it, the operating system on it will run. If it doesn't, the on-board operating system launches.

This was made for the Rockchip SoC but maybe it could be adapted for Amlogic. It would make everyone's life so much easier if we could add a custom boot loader and then have each version of Linux/XBMC on SD cords to test and switch at will. Also, it would leave the Android OS intact, best of both worlds.

Here's the thread on Google + that discusses it:

https://plus.google.com/1094511780066838...aWnacNUQHb

Can you do anything with this?

tinker
(2014-03-30, 16:03)ciquta Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-30, 13:08)AuXBoX Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-30, 12:48)ciquta Wrote: [ -> ]is the wifi now working on ATV520 with XDA release?

I think so, please try and give feedback, I personally don't have an atv520. If it turns out that wifi doesn't work you can always revert back to android and then back to version you have at the moment
they says wifi broadcom not working

i am sure the ATV520e has broadcom so i guess the ATV520 too

I believe this is correct... 520R added antenna but same wifi chipset

(2014-03-30, 18:07)tinker Wrote: [ -> ]AuXBoX:

Found a very interesting thread on Google +. It's creator has a method to duel boot Android and Linux on the same box. It involves adding a custom boot loader to NAND to intercept the boot sequence and look for a bootable SD card. If it finds it, the operating system on it will run. If it doesn't, the on-board operating system launches.

https://plus.google.com/1094511780066838...aWnacNUQHb

+1
Where does it say anything about it not working on Broadcom?
It applies to the RC1 firmware for the dongles.

Can someone test and tell us if it does or not
AuXBoX:

What do you mean by Broadcom? Are both Amlogic and Rockchip somehow related to Broadcom? Do you mean both SoCs are similar enough to each other that this might work out of the box? If you think so, I'll test it.

[edit] I can see from this chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-..._on_a_chip

...that the Amlogic and Rockchip SoCs are very similar but I still can't make a connection with Broadcom. Do you mean the WIFI?

tinker
(2014-03-31, 00:37)AuXBoX Wrote: [ -> ]Where does it say anything about it not working on Broadcom?

A guy with ATV520e from the xda forum tried without success because of the broadcom.
(2014-03-31, 22:08)ciquta Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-31, 00:37)AuXBoX Wrote: [ -> ]Where does it say anything about it not working on Broadcom?

A guy with ATV520e from the xda forum tried without success because of the broadcom.

ciquta:

Are you talking about the WIFI? If that's the only thing not working, I'd still like to give it a try.

Could you post the link for the XDA forum thread where this is discussed?

Maybe we could replace our kernal for the one this system uses. Once we have a Linux system booting from SD, we can troubleshoot issues like any other Linux based PC.

tinker
Tinker we are talking about Wifi

This works on Geniatech Version for ATV520 right?
Why is it an issue for XDA
New XDA Release is working well on ATV 1200 ..... WIFI, poweron and so far everything else is working well .... it is a Linuxbase Rom ..... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2418029
(2014-04-01, 06:14)Biatsch Wrote: [ -> ]New XDA Release is working well on ATV 1200 ..... WIFI, poweron and so far everything else is working well .... it is a Geniatechbase Rom ..... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2418029 (Linux Bootloader Wink )

Thats good Biatsch, now has anyone tried this on ATV520?
AuXBoX:

Tried the new XDA version on my ATV520 and everything seems to work... except WIFI (but we were expecting that). Like the JynxBox version of Linux/XBMC, it just finds the wired LAN and connects with no user input. As Biatsch notes, the remote's power on/off button does still work. Timezones works this time too. It boots a little faster than the Geniatech version.

I used the MX_LINUX_v1.00-STVMX-conversion.zip file to revert from Geniatech to XDA. This archive has all the files needed to make a boot SD card and it worked just fine for me first time through. I haven't tried, but this may be a way to revert back to Android if the recovery menu will update the Android image file properly.

The only caveat so far is red lights instead of blue (but that may just be my box... after all the things I've done to it Smile).

Only time will tell if it's stable, but looking good so far.

tinker
I'm getting one of these

Amlogic 8726 MX Dual Core Dual Cortex A9 Neon CPU, 1.5GHz
MBX Reference Board (g18ref)

Has anyone got one and if so have they tried any of these firmwares on it
AuXBoX:

Go for it! I'd suggest the XDA Linux/XBMC version now that all the bugs (except WIFI on the ATV520) have been dealt with. Also, it uses the Android boot code so all you'd have to do (maybe) is update the XDA image file.

Folks:

Today I'll try to revert back to Android from XDA Linux/XBMC to see if it'll work for us folks that have had trouble reverting to Android from the Geniatech version.

tinker
Folks:

Nope, can't revert to Android. I installed Geniatect's Linux/XBMC and then used the SD boot card made from the STVMX_MAR232014_Android_Revert.zip file to try to revert to Android. Same problem, boots to blank blue/green screen. I installed the new XDA version of Linux/XBMC from there and it worked fine.

It must have been something I did to the ATV520 before I knew better that's preventing Android from installing.

No big deal, the new XDA version rocks, it's even a little peppier than the Geniatech version.

Everything but WIFI works. Does the WIFI work on the ATV1200?

tinker
(2014-04-01, 00:34)AuXBoX Wrote: [ -> ]Tinker we are talking about Wifi

This works on Geniatech Version for ATV520 right?
Why is it an issue for XDA
According with my test, the ATV520 wifi works under Geniatech but is very weak, there's a big big noticeable difference in wifi performance with the android version

If wifi is what you need for your ATV520, settle down with android