Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got one more question.
Is it possible to use custom remote control with MX Linux?
I know i need to replace remote.conf, but how can I generate it?
Actually i use this remote control with RaspberryPi and I have lircd.conf generated. Maybe i can reuse it?
It's a can of worms, but you can look at dmesg or /var/log/messages output to see what's being pressed and modify /etc/xbmc/remote.conf to map keys to functions. You need to get the right remote ID in the file first.
Can anyone tell me the ATV582 is that supported for MX Linux? It's a A9 processor quad core. Would it be same upgrade process as the other ATV devices. Thanks in advance
No, that's an M8 device, which is not supported by this version.

Stane1983 has ported to some M8 devices but I don't think the ATV582 is one of them. I also don't think there are any custom Android ROMs for this box.

See freaktab forums for more info
(2014-09-11, 12:59)belliash Wrote: [ -> ]I got one more question.
Is it possible to use custom remote control with MX Linux?
I know i need to replace remote.conf, but how can I generate it?
Actually i use this remote control with RaspberryPi and I have lircd.conf generated. Maybe i can reuse it?

I have been trying to figure this out for a while now and I recently have made some progress. Here is what I have done so far.

First, I had to ssh (I used putty) to my atv520. Then I ran the command:
Code:
while true ; do dmesg -c ; sleep 1; done

That will start spitting out system messages (mine are 99% ethernet driver messages) once every second. Leave that running while you do the next step.

Next, use whatever remote you want to reprogram and press the same button (like a down arrow) multiple times.

Quickly go look at your ssh window and you should hopefully see messages like:
Wrong custom code is 0xbe41fb04

The last 4 digits of that code are the first 4 digits of the "factory code" (fb04 in my example).
The 2 digits before fb04 are the key code (41 in my example).

Now, armed with that information, edit the /etc/xbmc/remote.conf (I'd recommend making a backup of this file before you make any changes so you can easily revert).

in the remote.conf, edit the "factory_code =" to the last 4 digits of the code plus 0001. So in my example it would be 0xFB040001

Then in the same remote.conf file find the line that's commented with the word "down":
0xd2 108 ;DOWN

and change that to the key code from the "wrong custom code" error (in my example it was 41):

0x41 108 ;DOWN

Save and reboot your atv520. After it has rebooted, test it out by pressing down on the remote you reprogrammed. It should move down in the menu's. None of the other buttons will work at this point, but the down button should work. Assuming that the down button works, you can then continue on to reprogram the rest of the keys.

Again, use putty to ssh to your atv520 and run the same command:
Code:
while true ; do dmesg -c ; sleep 1; done

Now press a different button that you wish to reprogram (let's use the up arrow for example), you should get a line in ssh like this:
scancode is 0x0006, invalid key is 0x0000.

Change the remote.conf up arrow to 06:

0xca 103 ;UP

to

0x06 103 ;UP

Save and reboot and now both your up and down arrows should work. Repeat for the rest of the buttons (you don't have to reboot between each button, once you have one button working, you can do all the rest in one update if you want).

I have not yet figured out how to get multiple remotes working at the same time and I also have not yet figured out how to add new functions that are not yet in the remote.conf (like pause, stop, ff, rw, etc).

Hope this helps. If i figure out how to get more buttons working (like pause, stop, etc), I'll update this post.
Thank you very much.

BTW, instead of this loop, you can simply enter `tail -F /var/log/messages`, that will output all new lines from that files as soon as they appear Wink
(2014-09-11, 15:36)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]No, that's an M8 device, which is not supported by this version.

Stane1983 has ported to some M8 devices but I don't think the ATV582 is one of them. I also don't think there are any custom Android ROMs for this box.

See freaktab forums for more info

Thanks for the heads up. What I'm trying to find is something that's faster then the Jynx M6 that I'm running MX Lunix to run faster maybe more memory or quad core.
Hello,

I have tried to flash the Gotham version in my atv1200 with last version of android from geniatech. When I try to flash instead of install as described in the thread it enters in recovery, I try to "update from SD" the ZIP file but it does not work, goes back to recovery menu.
Why does it enter in recovery instead installing as expected?
Other way to install?
I believe you need to flash an special Android revert version.
(2014-09-12, 17:02)bobones Wrote: [ -> ]I believe you need to flash an special Android revert version.

Would be OK if I flash the previous android version from geniatech?
Javier, can you clarify whether you're trying to install Linux or Android? I interpreted your first post as trying to go back to Android from Linux, but I now realise this could be wrong.
Bobones,
I have installed right now Android version 4.2 from Mygica.es in the ATV 1200 (this should be equivalent to Geniatech one).
I am trying to install the Gotham version of XBMC linux, but instead the "automatic" installation described in page 1 of the thread the device enters in recovery (??). If I try to install from recovery the .zip file it does nothing but going back to recovery menu.
How can I install then the Linux XBMCHuh
(2014-09-12, 22:28)javierpalj Wrote: [ -> ]Bobones,
I have installed right now Android version 4.2 from Mygica.es in the ATV 1200 (this should be equivalent to Geniatech one).
I am trying to install the Gotham version of XBMC linux, but instead the "automatic" installation described in page 1 of the thread the device enters in recovery (??). If I try to install from recovery the .zip file it does nothing but going back to recovery menu.
How can I install then the Linux XBMCHuh

Use this one newest g02ref update and flash from recovery
Thanks Bobones, I cannot test it now but I will do it as soon as possible (in 2 or 3 days) I will let you know if it works. To be sure I am not doing something wrong how should I use this .zip file?
Save it in the root of an empty SD card and use the option install zip from SD in recovery menu?
Or should I save in the SD card any other file together with this?
Should I do the three wipes before installing?

I would appreciate If you can describe the steps to follow.

Thanks again for your help.
First you need to download this http://goo.gl/Khw16K to convert an stvmx box
Then flash it.
Put the file i posted earlier on a blank fat32 formatted sdcard.
Get to recovery menu wipe cache and user data.
Flash from EXT and select sdcard.
Select the file I gave you, If you can't see the file pull the sdcard out while in recovery and plug in computer and change the extension to .img and then plug in device and try to flash