Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
check out this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143775

last post says:

Ok, thank you very much, I've solved the problem.
I folowed the steps, and added the "everyone user" to the share folder. Now I'm able to connect the share media.

(2014-01-20, 23:03)Perfectdark Wrote: [ -> ]hi all

just purchased the mygica atv520E

i was using the android xbmc but wanted to try the Linux version so i followed your instructions here and loaded it. It loads and works fine, however, i have a windows 8 PC with my shared media folder (containing movies, tv shows etc) when i tru to add any of the folders i cannot. It prompts me for the username and password so i enter it but then it reprompts me like it was incorrect or something. So i removed the linux and put back the android and i was able to add my media folders. Prompted me for username and password, i entered it and it worked. Went back to Linux and it keeps prompting me.. Is there a fix for this?
I have installed MX_LINUX_PRERC2-TEST1-STVMX it appears to be more stable than Geniatech linux. so far.

the issue i am having is with my time zone, i cant change it in XBMC any thoughts??
(2014-01-21, 03:06)markcf105 Wrote: [ -> ]I have installed MX_LINUX_PRERC2-TEST1-STVMX it appears to be more stable than Geniatech linux. so far.

the issue i am having is with my time zone, i cant change it in XBMC any thoughts??
Have you actually read this thread? The timezone issue is dealt with a couple of pages back.
(2014-01-21, 04:15)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Have you actually read this thread? The timezone issue is dealt with a couple of pages back.

I was able to go from Geniatech Linux to XDA Linux. I first reverted toi Geniatech Android, and then flashed XDA Linux. First boot did not succeed but got stuck to TUX logo. So I reflashed, and it booted nicely.

And yes, I noticed the timezone fix couple of pages earlier, but it really does not fix the timezone for me.

I even copied my guisettings.xml from Geniatech Linux before I flashed XDA Linux, and tried to replace locale setting with following:

Code:
<locale>
        <audiolanguage>original</audiolanguage>
        <charset>DEFAULT</charset>
        <country>Canada</country>
        <language>English</language>
        <subtitlelanguage>original</subtitlelanguage>
        <timezone>America/Toronto</timezone>
        <timezonecountry>Canada</timezonecountry>
    </locale>
This does not have any affect.

The other issue seems to be with mythtv PVR addon. It does not work very well. I have a lot issue while swithcing live-tv channels. It's very slow, and some of them do not work at all. I did not have any issues with Geniatech Linux.

Also audio is off sync.

I will most definetely go back to Geniatech Linux, since this does not work for me as it is now.
Yes, no matter how hard I would have loved to stay with community created and supported Linux, I had to flash back to Geniatech Linux. With mythv pvdr addon it works much better. Audio is in sync and I can switch to any live-tv channel much, much faster.

Only thing I have issues with is that I can not power it down except by unplugging the power chord, but I can live with that.
Actually there is one thing I would like to change for ATV520E remote. The button with two "windows". Check picture below, the button next right to "home" button.

At first it didn't do anything, but I checked the code from dmesg, and mapped it no to work as the "info" button just to check how to get it mapped to something. So I added line:

Code:
    0x51 23        ;NOTIFICATION (like to change this to EPG)

Now it works as configured, but what would be correct code for letter "E", so I would get EPG? Any ideas?

ATV520E Remote

Thanks!
I have been looking at the timezone issue and appears that you can add the information in to the advancedsettings.xml file located in the .xbmc/userdata folder.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=169674&page=47

The issue is that it does not fix the problem nor does just editing the guisettings.xml. it appears that this version is missing a folder in user/share/zoneinfo it is not there. I have copied the folder from my raspbmc but cant copy it to the folder as it is locked out, any thoughts on how to copy the folder over to see if it will work?
If you check /etc/fstab, you notice:

Code:
/usr.sqsh       /usr            squashfs ro,defaults,noatime 0    0

It's mounted as read only. If you change ro --> rw, and reboot, /usr should be writable.

Be aware, that if you break your system following my advice, I'm not responsible for that.

I tried to remount it as writable (mount -o remount,rw /usr) with no luck. I also tried mount /usr/sqsh to mount as writable, but no luck there either.
hey tinker,

I added smb shares to the / folder as you detailed, however it seems I only have read access.

I did this on my nexus7:

SSH'd to the box, used vi to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf

I added in only these shares:

[XBMC]
path = /root/.xbmc
public = yes
only guest = yes
writable = yes
printable = no

[home] # Use at your own risk. Shares the home directory of the Linux install!
path = /
public = yes
only guest = yes
writable = yes
printable = no

I took the revised remote.conf and tried to copy it directly into /etc/ folder but got permission denied. I tried this both in windows 7 and using es file explorer from a nexus tablet.

am I missing something?

(2014-01-19, 22:19)tinker Wrote: [ -> ]Folks:

If anyone has noticed, the XDA version of Linux/XBMC won't properly set up timezone from the System/Appearance/International page.

There are two ways to fix this issue. Both require that you have a working copy of XBMC on another machine. You can collect the proper data from the Userdata/guisettings.xml file. Search for <locale> in the file, it looks like this (with your specific info instead of these defaults):

Code:
<locale>
        <audiolanguage>original</audiolanguage>
        <charset>DEFAULT</charset>
        <country>USA (12h)</country>
        <language>English</language>
        <subtitlelanguage>original</subtitlelanguage>
</locale>

These are the two ways you can replace the data. You can use the 'vi' editor to edit the guisettings.xml file directly or you can use Jatho's method to open up the XBMC folder to SMB networking and alter the guisettings.xml file with you favorite word processor (don't use MS notepad). Once the file is changed to your timezone settings, reboot the box and the clock will be set to your timezone.

Here's Jatho's SMB solution:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1594222

...and here's my own adaptations to it that you might find helpfull:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1597844

Aside from not having wireless access, the XDA version of Linux/XBMC is just what I was looking for, even the power button 'Suspend' mode works just the way I want it. When I 'Suspend', the 3 port smart HDMI switch hooked up to my TV automatically switches back to my satellite box the same way my DVD player does when I switch it off.

tinker
(2014-01-21, 21:17)sonicov Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:

It's mounted as read only. If you change ro --> rw, and reboot, /usr should be writable.

Acually, I don't think that will do it. Potentially you could do changes by copying the usr.sqsh to Linux with squashfs tools, mount it there, add the files, and transfer it back to MX.

Example:

I used scp to copy usr.sqsh to Linux box running mythbuntu. Then there I did:

Code:
root@lumi:~# unsquashfs usr.sqsh
Parallel unsquashfs: Using 2 processors
5747 inodes (6469 blocks) to write

[=============================================================/] 6469/6469 100%
created 4964 files
created 1626 directories
created 406 symlinks
created 0 devices
created 0 fifos
root@lumi:~# cd squashfs-root/share/zoneinfo/

Do your edits/add files and directories, then squash it back and trasfer it back to MX

Code:
mksquashfs quashfs-root usr.sqsh

UPDATE: actually MX Linux has the unsquashfs and mksquashfs utilities, so no need to transfer to another box. Unsquash, make edits, squash back and replace usr.sqsh. I emphasize, that I certainly haven't tried this myself!!!
(2014-01-21, 21:17)sonicov Wrote: [ -> ]If you check /etc/fstab, you notice:

Code:

Be aware, that if you break your system following my advice, I'm not responsible for that.

I tried to remount it as writable (mount -o remount,rw /usr) with no luck. I also tried mount /usr/sqsh to mount as writable, but no luck there either.
squashfs is a read only filesystem.
(2014-01-21, 22:29)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-21, 21:17)sonicov Wrote: [ -> ]If you check /etc/fstab, you notice:

Code:

squashfs is a read only filesystem.

Yes I noticed, but geniatech Linux has both unsquash and mksquash, so you could actually use those. I'm pretty sure XDA Linux has them too.
(2014-01-21, 03:06)markcf105 Wrote: [ -> ]I have installed MX_LINUX_PRERC2-TEST1-STVMX it appears to be more stable than Geniatech linux. so far.

Check out my post on the time zone issue here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1604897

Also, go through this thread thoroughly to make sure you haven't missed any other tips, tricks and opinions. Smile

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers:

tinker
Still confused on remote.conf replacement. I can't write to etc/xbmc folder. Am I missing something? I set up my SMB shares
Tinker, did you get the timezone to work? I have read through the xda-developers forum and they are indicating that there is no current fix for the timezone issue as the files are not in the build. They say that the build is missing the TZ database.

Redi, I have just done a fresh install of the xda build. Using filezilla and connecting using ftp not ssh i was able to change the remote.conf file located in ect/xbmc with out any issues. it was the first thing i did after enabling the wired connection.