Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: EzeeCube - Low cost XBMC box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Happy new year all

Further to my last post here I would like to provide more details of EzeeCube hardware here. The box is built on custom hardware board (schematics available on request) that has

Freescale iMX6 Quad Core CPU
2GB DDR3
1TB 2.5" SATA
Wifi
Bluetooth
1xHDMI
2xUSB
1xOptical Audio
1xEthernet Port
1xIR Receiver
1xQi Transmitter

DDK is available for developing new hardware/accessories that works with the box. EzeeCube has pins exposed on top for USB and power so that any additional accessories built on DDK can interface with the main board without any external wires. Similar mechanism works for accessories too, works like lego. Idea is for users to be able to extend the EzeeCube with additional hard-drive or CDROM etc with ease.

This is an FYI post to get the comments from XBMC community, there is a Facebook page here that has latest updates on the box development.
Availability? Cost? Website? Resellers?

Linux or Android? Remote? SoC model and MHz? Detailed hardware spec? Have any pictures or videos?

DDK? Lego idea sounds interesting, got more info? Will you sell DVD-ROM and Blu-ray redares as options?

For us that do not use Facebook, and those to lazy to read the other thread Wink
The other thread is even less helpful, ditto for facebook.

don't think the box exists outside the developer's head, but hey that's where all good ideas start. Keep us informed Ashok.

My comment? Needs to run linux with usable (by xbmc) video acceleration. Needs audio support up to and including hd audio. Without those things, you won't get traction by xbmc people.

Oh and IR needs to work out of the box with (at least) MCE remotes.
(2014-01-04, 23:40)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]The other thread is even less helpful, ditto for facebook.

don't think the box exists outside the developer's head, but hey that's where all good ideas start. Keep us informed Ashok.

My comment? Needs to run linux with usable (by xbmc) video acceleration. Needs audio support up to and including hd audio. Without those things, you won't get traction by xbmc people.

may i also add
a) gigabit ethernet?
b) playback in 1080p (and not just playing 1080p files in 720p)
c) passthrough for all HD audio formats...

Nod
Why gigE? Not neefed for a player.
Thanks for your support everyone, just little more background on the project.

We are extending the XBMC to natively support picture, videos and contacts support for users. We already have finished major part of the code to support photos, videos and contacts JSON as well as Database support, pull request has been made however there is still lot of clean up work to be done. Other photo management features e.g. face recognition, location based, date based organisation, albums, removal of duplicate and similar images etc is also under development.

We also have been working on a new skin to support navigation through photos, videos and contacts.

We have working apps for iOS/Android to automatically upload users content from their phones/tablets into XBMC. This app also has WiFi remote support for XBMC.

- Pre-sales will start mid of Feb at http://www.ezeecube.com and would be taking it on Kickstarter mid of March
- Quad core+1TB (1.2ghz) version would be at USD249 (hopefully) while we still working with Freescale for better pricing of dual core (1ghz)
- CEC would be supported so some TV remotes would already work
- Linux based (Yocto)
- We got our first prototype box case last week, working on some details and will be sharing photos in couple of weeks
- DDK (Device Development Kit) is a lego Unit that developer could get and build their own hardware accessory for EzeeCube e.g. a game controller or a router or setup box and if device developer needs to take it to production, we would be able to help them build and ship it along with EzeeCube.
- We will be shipping DVD, BlueRay readers later, current focus is to get EzeeCube on Kickstarter
- We are looking at the Gigabit ethernet however we will let backer on Kickstarter decide which specs they prefer
- Box is also Qi wireless charging enabled for mobile phones
- We aim to ship in June based on response from Kickstarter

Again would like to thank you all for you suggestions and support, please let us know what would be the best way to keep the community posted.
(2014-01-05, 00:30)solamnic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-04, 23:40)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]The other thread is even less helpful, ditto for facebook.

may i also add
a) gigabit ethernet?
b) playback in 1080p (and not just playing 1080p files in 720p)
c) passthrough for all HD audio formats...

Nod

Not sure I agree about GigE unless you are using the network for file transfers to/from the box. 100Mbs properly implemented is fine for playing even untouched Blu-ray discs IME.

I'd add decent de-interlacing at full-frame rate (i.e. 50/60Hz not 25/30Hz) of 1080i and 576/480i content as well. (Lots of people are now using XBMC for PVR duties where this is a must)
Will it at least come with a simple physical remote control like Apple TV or original Pivos Xios DS remote?

Using phone as remote is a nice option but physical remote is a must, and not everyone's TV have CEC.

(2014-01-05, 15:16)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure I agree about GigE unless you are using the network for file transfers to/from the box. 100Mbs properly implemented is fine for playing even untouched Blu-ray discs IME.
Gigabit should not be nessesary unless it will also be marketed as a network storage device, like these

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/01/04/p...r-for-259/
http://www.cloudmedia.com/products/popco...tore-a-400

Popcorn Hour A-400 and Popcorn Hour A-410 would then be in competition, even without XBMC on those.

How open will the hardware platform of the final box be and will be firmware come rooted out-of-the-box?

Will advanced power users also be able to open the box and access GPIO without voiding warranty?

(2014-01-05, 14:19)aeropriest Wrote: [ -> ]- Pre-sales will start mid of Feb at http://www.ezeecube.com and would be taking it on Kickstarter mid of March
- Quad core+1TB (1.2ghz) version would be at USD249 (hopefully) while we still working with Freescale for better pricing of dual core (1ghz)
Is that retail price? Will you offer lower price offers during the Kickstarter for campaign founders?

(2014-01-05, 15:16)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]I'd add decent de-interlacing at full-frame rate (i.e. 50/60Hz not 25/30Hz) of 1080i and 576/480i content as well
For playback answers about Freescale i.MX6 SoC see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=161793
Copy, delete
i forgot the most important...
(dont know if this is possible with the hardware that will be used by EzeeCube, though)

perfect 24p playback.... (like sigma or haswell chipsets Wink )...
(2014-01-05, 23:22)solamnic Wrote: [ -> ]i forgot the most important...
(dont know if this is possible with the hardware that will be used by EzeeCube, though)

perfect 24p playback.... (like sigma or haswell chipsets Wink )...
For playback answers about Freescale i.MX6 SoC see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=161793

All i.MX6 SoCs are same for codecs and playback, and since it's Linux and not Android 24fps should work.

Also checkout http://stephan-rafin.net/blog/ and http://jas-hacks.blogspot.co.uk for more i.MX6 info
The IR receiver on the board is to support the IR remote, specially if some talented hardware engineers develops some cool stuff (may be a game console with camera that uses RAM, CPU, ports etc from EzeeCube).

You are right about Giabit and popcorn, EzeeCube is targeting home users who would like to backup the photos, videos and contacts from their phones and that is why we added Qi transmitter on top surface (and every accessory would have it on top surface) so users could backup phone content and charge it (Qi enabled phone or Qi enabled phone covers)

On kickstarter, ror the quad core version, we would be offering USD199. We have not decided on dual core yet however based on interest from funders, if we find more than 500 users interest, we would offer dual core with 1GB RAM and probably no hard-drive (USB drives could be used) however this becomes more like the wandboard with better laid out ports and cool case design.

On kickstarter we would support warranty for open boxes those who would buy hacker's edition and will provide hardware layout however for other users.

Stephan's work has helped us a lot and one of the reason we are using Yocto is because amount of work he has already done.
I think Lenovo just torpedoed your idea, the Beacon for $199 which has XBMC linux installed out of the box and some sort of sync capability with Android/iOS for your personal photos/videos.
Wow! that thing is ugly, wouldn't pay 199 for it, looks like a closed accordion. Why can't anyone come out with a simple black box without any goofy edges. You think they could of at least installed a plugin for XBMC.
ZOTAC have now also announced that they will ship a ZBox nano with i.MX6Q Quad Core with 2.5-inch hard drive and Linux/Android OS to be sold for $100 - $150

http://liliputing.com/2014/01/zotac-laun...u-150.html

ZOTAC ZBox nano “ARM” specifications:

SoC – Freescale i.MX 6Q quad core Cortex A9 @ 1 Ghz with Vivante GC2000 GPU
System Memory – 1GB DDR3
Storage – 8GB eMMC flash, SATA 3Gb/s interface with 2.5″ HDD support, and SD card slot (SD/SDHC/MMC)
Video Output – HDMI 1.4
USB – 4x USB 2.0 host port
Connectivity – GbE Ethernet, and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n via mini PCIe module.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/01/09/z...i-mx6-soc/

Think that I would prefer a quad-core model with open-bay hard drive slot for a 3.5-inch hard drive, instead of 2.5-inch hard drive, cheaper and larger hard drives.

It would be especially nice to have a 3.5-inch hard drive for those who do not already own a NAS, then could use it as a combo NAS and media player

(2014-01-05, 14:19)aeropriest Wrote: [ -> ]Quad core+1TB (1.2ghz) version would be at USD249
(2014-01-06, 03:06)aeropriest Wrote: [ -> ]On kickstarter, ror the quad core version, we would be offering USD199
@aeropriest, no offense but today you can not call any ARM-based box over $99 for a "Low cost XBMC box".

Maybe a year ago you could call a $199 ARM-based box "low cost", but not today.

You even can get a new low-end x86 mini-PC HTPC for under $199 today, and those can be legitimately be called "low-cost" because they are still full blown x86 HTPCs.

If I was you then I would change the topic summery of this thread to something like:
"EzeeCube - Upcoming user-friendly XBMC based media player" or something similar

I would highlight things like integrated hard drive, quad-core CPU, and other extra features instead of cost, as people can otherwise just go out an buy a cheaper "low-cost" box.

If you wanted to make a "low-cost" box then make it single-core CPU, and leave the hard drive slot as open-bay to let users install their own hard drive.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5