Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC 12.3 barely plays video after long idle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm on a 2012 Mac Mini (Mavericks) with XBMC 12.3. The mini is always running with XBMC open and after it's been idling for several hours and I then try to play a video, it's incredibly choppy. Choppy isn't even the right word, it plays videos at like 1 frame a sec...so not even watchable. I'm not sure what is causing this...the rest of the machine is running normally. The only way to get XBMC to play videos properly again after a long idle is to restart the app.

Any ideas how I can stop this from happening?

Thanks.
debug log (wiki)
Here's the log file: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=108129

(...but, should I have waited until the video playback problem happens again to generate the log?)
Yes i need the log when the problem appears of course.
Ok I will keep debug on and running until it happens again then get you the log. Thanks.
I was able to recreate the issue after having XBMC idle for about 15-20 hours or so. Here is the log I just uploaded: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=108826
I realize Step 3 of the log file instructions says to restart XBMC, but if I did that, the problem would not persist. So I was not able to restart before uploading this log file Sad
There happens something with the audio device after that time. Do you know if this also happens with current nightly version or maybe is only an issue on frodo?
It's interesting you mentioned the audio device. Because if I select 5.1 and HDMI, movies will barely play, just like after idling. In order to get that to work, I need to set the output to Analog and 2.0 (instead of 5.1...even though I have 5.1 support)

Haven't tried the nightly...where would I get that?
(2014-01-12, 00:01)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]There happens something with the audio device after that time. Do you know if this also happens with current nightly version or maybe is only an issue on frodo?

As I posted in another thread, the latest nightly build cures this problem.
(2014-01-12, 19:25)adro21 Wrote: [ -> ]It's interesting you mentioned the audio device. Because if I select 5.1 and HDMI, movies will barely play, just like after idling. In order to get that to work, I need to set the output to Analog and 2.0 (instead of 5.1...even though I have 5.1 support)

Haven't tried the nightly...where would I get that?

http://xbmc.org/download/
See the nightly builds section near the bottom of the page.
@adro21 5.1 is the wrong setting. Set it to 2.0 and enable the passthrough options . and disable lpcm. 5.1 is only needed in special cases (and is not working very well on osx).
thanks...I've never used the nightly builds before. Assuming it fixes this particular issue, are the nightly builds stable enough for everyday use?
more or less
(2014-01-13, 00:07)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]@adro21 5.1 is the wrong setting. Set it to 2.0 and enable the passthrough options . and disable lpcm. 5.1 is only needed in special cases (and is not working very well on osx).

Thanks for the tip. Should I change from Analog to HDMI as well?
If you have an hdmi connection - yes.
Pages: 1 2