Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to enable the Hifiberry Modules in Openelec(only bcm2835 available)?
Got the EXACT same problems since the last few builds.

- Movie playback starts, is working for some seconds and then the screen goes black, audio is still running in background.
If I hit STOP on the remote, SOMETIMES it gets back to GUI, sometimes it stays black.

What's going on? Sad

(2014-02-13, 12:51)Milky-Joe Wrote: [ -> ]I've only been using Gotham since the 2014-2-10 build (and I'm now running the 20140-2-13 build), but I'm having a few issues (using OMXPlayer):

- Sometimes, when playing a movie, only the sound plays (I can still navigate around my movies)
- Sometimes, when starting a video, the screen goes black and nothing happens *
- Some movies refuse to start (I haven't figured out if there's a pattern yet)
- DVDPlayer is too unstable, and keeps freezing

I am using caching (with a 64Mb buffer), and I have configured NFS with a rsize of 32k, but everything else is pretty much stock.

* Once this has happened, I've had the Pi refuse to reboot - it froze after clicking Quit > Reboot
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0213b
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.2 #1 PREEMPT Thu Feb 13 17:51:51 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Feb 12 2014 20:29:25
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 981c14ae8229477232a0349d9c3abbedbfa68d99 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140213175528-r17700-g56e8f72

Based on tip of XBMC master (2ebd0d5, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (56e8f72, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for ddcc72e which I've replaced with a static spinner)
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
  • "Show RSS Feed" default setting changed to disabled
Build Higlights:
  1. newclock3: New Ben Avison commit that improves performance of the CArchive cache considerably (this is used to cache items when entering libraries such as Movies, TVShows, Songs etc. so that subsequent entry to the same library is faster). I'd say that my 1GHz Pi with 7356 songs is about 4 seconds faster when re-entering the Songs library with this new build (previously taking 14 seconds, now only 10 seconds). Re-entering Movies is about 1 second faster (654 movies, previously 4-5 seconds, now consistently about 3 seconds).

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. The following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content. For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).
Quote:New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0213b
Opening my movies list is noticeably much quicker now, and I only have a hundred or so movies! Nice Smile

(2014-02-13, 16:43)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-13, 16:28)Milky-Joe Wrote: [ -> ]I have a Model B (512Mb), and the gpu value is 128 (after running that statement).

Should be okay, but you could changing to
gpu_mem_512=256
just to rule out memory. Posting a debug may have some clues.
I've set my gpu to use 256, but it's just happened again - a black screen when opening a movie.

Which log file do you need? I see 10 of them.
(2014-02-13, 17:33)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-13, 17:31)Shanyel Wrote: [ -> ]@popcornmix
Following that note - is it safe to say that for Model B we should be using gpu_mem_512=256 on a normal basis?
thanks for clarifying it

No, 128M is the recommended value. There are some circumstances where this isn't enough, so if you are having problems, then increasing this value is a useful test point.
If the problems go away, then we know your use case is using more than 128M of gpu_mem and can investigate further.
I have been at 256 forever, which was the stock setting in my config.txt file — never revised by me. What are the disadvantages of 256? I have checked available CPU memory from time to time and always found plenty of free RAM. What about a setting somewhere in between 128 and 256?

(2014-02-13, 17:38)bAD kLOPFER Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-13, 11:38)gusmin Wrote: [ -> ]- All videos either from Nas or Streaming Services played as Audio and not Video
- When i got to setting in whatever option i tried to get into (Video, Audio , System etc.) the system freezes.

I got these problems with some of the builds too. Renaming or deleting the guisettings.xml fixed them for me. After that your gui is back to stock configuration so it might be a good idea renaming guisettings.xml to .bak i.e. to check if it helps. If this isn't the cause you can still rename it back.
If you rename it back and do a normal reboot from the interface, I think your guisettings.xml file will get overwritten (and lost). Doing a reboot from an ssh session avoids this.
Hello Millhouse,

Since the Problem with DTS i tried everything in config.txt, in xbmc... Connect my rasp to tv or direct on DTS Master HD kompatibel Receiver... BUT every Movie with DTS HD Master oder DTS ES Dscr. ... Is not realy playing anymore...

It plays, then stops for about 2-3 sec, my receiver switches between DTS and PCM, then back to DTS, movie starts for in good case, 1-2 Minutes, then the same procedure again...

Only DTS Movies and DD Movies are played fine...

If disabled passthroug, the sound is PCM ... BUT the behaviour of DTS HD or ES is the same.

Any idea?

Thx in advance Wink
question, if I have a RPI can I just use RBEJ's advancedsettings.xml file and dump on my rpi. or must I use his image and all.

Thanks!
(2014-02-14, 01:14)LilSnoop40 Wrote: [ -> ]question, if I have a RPI can I just use RBEJ's advancedsettings.xml file and dump on my rpi. or must I use his image and all.

Don't use that advancedsettings.xml - several of the settings are out of date and are more likely to cause problems with recent builds.
I'm using RBEJ's dvancedsettings.xml (modified a little) and having no problem whatsoever. I'm using dvd player as default player and works great so far as well.
I'm using RBEJ's latest frodo build. Pitty he's updates are not as often as used to be.
Last night i installed the milhouse build (#0213) and everything its ok now. All my videos and streaming add ons working great, even Sportingstreams add on for which i had a message for incompatibility working great.

Great release Milhouse!!!

Thank you

edit: Today i saw that there is a new build the #0213b. Does it only contains the patch for faster library performance or more as i am affraid to try it as soon as the #0213 works very nice with video playback.
Only faster library performance, I think. It does make a noticeable difference.
(2014-02-14, 10:19)gusmin Wrote: [ -> ]edit: Today i saw that there is a new build the #0213b. Does it only contains the patch for faster library performance or more as i am affraid to try it as soon as the #0213 works very nice with video playback.

The changes in each build are all documented... click the changelog links. Smile
(2014-02-13, 20:34)MilhouseVH Wrote: [ -> ]Build Higlights:
  1. newclock3: New Ben Avison commit that improves performance of the CArchive cache considerably (this is used to cache items when entering libraries such as Movies, TVShows, Songs etc. so that subsequent entry to the same library is faster). I'd say that my 1GHz Pi with 7356 songs is about 4 seconds faster when re-entering the Songs library with this new build (previously taking 14 seconds, now only 10 seconds). Re-entering Movies is about 1 second faster (654 movies, previously 4-5 seconds, now consistently about 3 seconds).
This change decreased the load time of my library considerably. Great work guys!
Great work guys, thanks.
(2014-02-13, 18:20)Bullsei Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to enable the Hifiberry Modules in Openelec(only bcm2835 available)?

Maybe this post from popcornmix would help

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1615266