Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-10-01, 07:05)Wanderlei Wrote: [ -> ]Also notice that both files and folders are sorted differently.

Yes, I've informed Ben (I'm guessing his faster sorting commits may be responsible).
Updated Gotham Branch

- updated OpenElec build

- updated Xbmc Gotham

- updated PVR add-on

- updated firmware and kernel

- [rbp] Add streamsilence option for hdmi

http://netlir.dk/rbej/builds/

http://lysin.me/rbej
Hey rbej this this Gotham build has the fix from popcornmix where he post a video of faster menue and fanart.
(2013-10-02, 00:19)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-01, 02:30)javaboyuk Wrote: [ -> ]Issue 1:
5.1 channel versions would not play correctly and came out as only stereo.
That is expected. Only passthrough DTS/AC3 will be multichannel. Everything else is downmixed to stereo. Currently.

(2013-10-01, 02:30)javaboyuk Wrote: [ -> ]Issue 2:
My DTS tracks don't "play" the amps DTS symbol binks on and off and I get
"snipit" of disorted sound.

The samples are here:
http://www.gimell.com/recording-free-tri...ads-1.aspx

or these which are easier to get
http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-download...files.aspx

Can you point at a specific DTS file that is failing? Do you have DTS passthrough enabled? Did this used to work?

Yes I double checked all the passthrough options are ticked in xbmc and I have:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
hdmi_drive=2
force_hdmi_open=1

set in my RPI config.txt file.

-----------
What I did find was if the DTS is in a Video format (eg .mkv) it is passed through
as expected. However, as in the examples when the DTS stream is a wav/dts file
then it doesn't play correctly with the amp seeing the stream "twitching" as DTS
with different bit rates. I was soooo pleased with the new firmware playing tracks
fully and not hanging I started trying everything else out :-) so I have not tried
this on the RPI before so not sure if it worked on a previous rpi release/firmware.

Is there a "hidden" option not to down mix to stereo and just pass the stream
through to the AMP? Or a different ".xxx" filetype name to use?
Rbej Frodo 01.10:

This is strange,in LiveTv only some channels working.
When i try to change audio setting tvstream break up.
Channel switching is a bit slow (9 sec). No so fast than rbej system 24-08 (2sec)

Gui works ultrafast here
HD Movie starts playing instandly
SD Movie needs some seconds

i tryed to find changes for my own but still no luck.
it must be in SYSTEM on sd_card
PVR=Argus Card=FireDTV

btw. thx 4 shareing all your builds
Same results for me, Rbej Frodo 01.10 no live-tv
Gotham 02.10 live tv seems to be working fine, but dosen´t have working subtitles in Live-tv (recordings works)
Openelec 3.2.0, Frodo is working fine , will update to 3.2.2 and se how it goes.

Have you guys also noticed that 1080i streams is identified as 4k in xbmc gui in the latest nighlies?
Updated Gotham Branch

- sync with Gotham Popcornmix branch (newclock3)

Hi rbeji just lost two sdcard with latest frodo builds with this error.(Error in mount_storage:mount _common:could not mount/dev/mmcblk0p2***
### Starting debugging shell...type exit to quit###
sh: can't access tty: job control turn off
#_
@nuttypro69

Get yourself a low-level format-utility as SDFormatter or "Mini Tool Partition Wizzard" and your SD-Cards should work again.
(2013-10-02, 21:05)nuttypro69 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi rbeji just lost two sdcard with latest frodo builds with this error.(Error in mount_storage:mount _common:could not mount/dev/mmcblk0p2***
#_

This has happened a couple of times to me. Not good. It will continue to happen. You're better of buying a new card and use that one to test only.

Anyway, under Ubuntu, Debian, etc., run

Quote:dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
to write zeros to the card. Run it a couple of times. Most of the times it will run fine again. Just don't trust it with valuable data.

To know where your card is mounted, run
Quote:dmesg

Make sure you know what mount point is your SD card. This will wipe all the data.
Thanks hudo that what i will do junk it .
(2013-09-30, 16:51)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-09-21, 21:22)javaboyuk Wrote: [ -> ]Alas with the
hdmi_force_open=1
With 3.1.6 and still with 3.2 on my Raspberry PI, I find if I "jump" to the next song or skip forward in the song my raspberry will loop playing the "current" 1/4 second of music and you have to reboot the PI to stop this, unplugging and plugging th HDMI does not fix it, and nor does trying to stop, play another track etc work. However I can still reboot the PI.

(Note I am controlling the PI vi the XBMC remote controller on my iPhone over wifi.)

So looks like a firmware/driver issueHuh
Any suggestions who I can talk to about this, happy to help.

I spent some time stepping through the code and believe I have fixed the issue.
I've also tried to do sane things when switching between PCM and passthrough audio.

Can you follow the update procedure in previous post, and report if the behaviour is better.

I had exactly the same issue sometimes after playing a song or a video since my first try with openelec about a year ago, and with hdmi_force_open=1 it became reprodrucable as the repeating/looping sound appeared always. With recent openelec 3.2.2 it's gone and hdmi_force_open=1 brings clicking and popping sounds at the end of playback to an end. A big thank to javaboyuk for well describing the issue and especially to popcornmix for solving it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(2013-10-02, 21:05)nuttypro69 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi rbeji just lost two sdcard with latest frodo builds with this error.(Error in mount_storage:mount _common:could not mount/dev/mmcblk0p2***
#_

I never had the issue of a "lost" sdcard, but I usually use the windows tool diskpart from within cmd to clean an sdcard before formatting, maybe another solution (besides the ones of Lindar and hudo) for windows:

- type "diskpart" inside cmd (the command-line in windows)
- type "list disk" inside the new diskpart window
- search the correct sdcard by size and type "select disk X" with X for the corresponding number
- double-check that you have selected the right disk!!! ... and then type "clean"
- exit by typing "exit" or just close the window

Now you have a clean sdcard without partitions/mft which could confuse any program. I'm not sure, but I think that might work as well and should be worth a try for people without a linux installation. Although I would be surprised if a tool like win32diskimager (my first choice for windows) couldn't directly copy a new image to a corrupted sdcard, for example from openelec.thestateofme.com/official_images or from a previously backuped sdcard.
(2013-10-03, 15:27)hpbaxxter Wrote: [ -> ]I never had the issue of a "lost" sdcard, but I usually use the windows tool diskpart from within cmd to clean an sdcard before formatting, maybe another solution (besides the ones of Lindar and hudo) for windows:

- type "diskpart" inside cmd (the command-line in windows)
- type "list disk" inside the new diskpart window
- search the correct sdcard by size and type "select disk X" with X for the corresponding number
- double-check that you have selected the right disk!!! ... and then type "clean"
- exit by typing "exit" or just close the window

Now you have a clean sdcard without partitions/mft which could confuse any program. I'm not sure, but I think that might work as well and should be worth a try for people without a linux installation. Although I would be surprised if a tool like win32diskimager (my first choice for windows) couldn't directly copy a new image to a corrupted sdcard, for example from openelec.thestateofme.com/official_images or from a previously backuped sdcard.

I have a botched SD card, corrupted by OpenELEC, (part of a USB install) now write only. Kinda hoped your instructions might just salvage it, unfortunately not:

Code:
DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          465 GB  1024 KB
  Disk 1    Online         7580 MB      0 B

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of
an I/O device error.
See the System Event Log for more information.

DISKPART>
Quote:Updated Gotham Branch

maybe it was already noted but I cannot shutdwon anymore, it just keeps rebooting

M

[/quote]
Hey everyone, I'm a relatively new Raspberry Pi Model B owner and XBMC enthusiast. My day (and night) jobs are development based so I know the value of a good testing team (and from the looks of this forum it seems like you already have that). Anyway, I'm very impressed with the progress that I've seen in just the last several months and I'd like to see if I can be of any help. For development, I'm stronger with java/objective c (ios)/js/php/python, but have dabbled in a number of other languages (I'm still relatively new to *nix). For testing, you can throw anything at me. I have windows 7 (desktop), osx mountain lion (mbp), and (as of last night) ubuntu 13 (on the mbp) - (and also a centos 6 server, but it is busy and not available for dev/testing). Also I have 2 RPis B. When I originally got my Pi I loaded it with Xbian, but recently took notice of how far OpenELEC has come (and of how strong the dev comm is) and decided last night to load OpenELEC-RPi.arm-Rbej-Version-Gotham-Popcornmix-Branch(02.10.2013).tar (2013-10-02 16:38) onto one of my Pis (and thus why I put Ubuntu on my mbp).

Quick question: is this the version I should be testing or should I be trying the non-popcornmix version? What is the difference? -- I'd like to stick with gotham since it is on the bleeding edge, but are there any known caveats that I should be aware of compared to frodo? (I've scanned through this forum thread and a number of other locations, but feel free to post a link to these answers and tell me I haven't looked hard enough.)

Anywho - here is what I noticed in my brief testing last night:

Display: 1080p tv
SDCard: 8GB samsung class 4 (known for better random read write than most class 10s - it was faster on xbian than my class 10 extreme)
My Movies: I tested with a usb 3 external Passport that had about 20ish blurays on it. All mkvs, encoded using handbrake at a level 10 and placebo (extreme - I know). Only pulled highest quality audio from each and converted all audio to pcm using eac3to (my receiver is amazing but a little dated -- it won't play the new hd audios unless it is in pcm. -- I know pcm passthrough isn't integrated for the pi yet so I have my fingers crossed for when it happens.. I can live with the stereo downconvert right now). All movies ended up being in the neighborhood of 40GB.

UI: faster than Xbian - well done
Boot: faster than Xbian - well done
Startup Wizard: I really like this concept. Unfortunately, even though it listed the available Wifi connections, when I selected mine it just threw the popup "Connecting..." and never went anywhere. I hit Esc and tried again a few times to no avail. Eventually I just skipped it and had to setup the wifi connection from the settings menu (which worked first try).
Import of movies from usb hard drive - worked as expected. The download of metadata and fanart was slow, but not unexpected, even for only 20ish movies.
Scrolling through movie library (only about 20 blurays in mkv format) - fanart was a little slow to load (1-6 seconds). I'm likely going to setup a mysql db and move everything there to see if that helps.
Movie start time (usb) - holy crap well done. Miles better than xbian.
Movie chapter skip - again, verrrry well done. Miles better than xbian. Note: the seek was almost instantaneous, but it would play 1/4 second and then I guess buffer for another 5-6 seconds. Also xbian had a lot of white ghosting .. I never saw any of this on your build (well done!).

Problems:

I actually had some (what I can only guess to be) buffering problems, however the top notification would never appear to say it was buffering. It would last anywhere from a tiny fraction of a second to 1-2 seconds maybe about every 30 secs to a minute. This happened on multiple movies I tested and this did not happen with xbian when connected via usb (it did happen on xbian with smb... I didn't have time last night to test your build with smb). -- Is there a way to increase the buffer to see if that helps? Any other ideas?

---

Overall I am extremely impressed and want to give my appreciation and admiration to those who have contributed to take the build I tried to where it is today. Please let me know what I can do to help and also if you have any ideas as to my buffering issue.

(2013-10-03, 16:56)mcarni Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Updated Gotham Branch

maybe it was already noted but I cannot shutdwon anymore, it just keeps rebooting

M

Oh yeah, I had this issue too.