Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: My XBMC Everywhere Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After lurking in the Showcase since it's creation, I finally managed to get enough "good" pictures to share my setup.

Here's a link to the Image Gallery (not sure I did this part correctly):

watch gallery

Equipment Selection and XBMC Details

Media Room -
Panasonic PS-65ZT60 65" Plasma TV
Denon AVR2808CI receiver
Jetway Ion PC running Openelec 12.2 Frodo
DirecTV
Google Chromecast
Raspberry Pi running Spotify jukebox software
Samsung Security Camera System
Lutron Maestro IR light switch
Definitive Technologies ProCinema 600 speakers (front, center, surround)
Definitive Technologies ProCinema 1000 10" Powered subwoofer
Coming Soon* Definitive Technologies BP8060 dipole speakers for 7.2 surround sound
Boston Acoustics 8" Powered Subwoofer
iPad Mini 16GB running iRule custom remote control software
Global Cache iTach IP2IR module to interface iRule and electronics

Living Room -
Samsung 55" LED TV
Pioneer VSX-1021 receiver
Zotac Zbox ID40+ running Openelec 12.2 Frodo
DirecTV
Google Chromecast
Raspberry Pi running Spotify jukebox software
OSD Audio in-ceiling speakers (front, surround)
OSD Audio center channel speaker in custom enclosure
Definitive Technologies ProCinema 600 8" Powered Subwoofer
iPad Mini (same as upstairs) running iRule custom remote control software
Global Cache iTach IP2IR module to interface iRule and electronics

Other Installs running XBMC Frodo -
Alienware M14x laptop
Alienware M11x laptop
Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop (runs MySQL for library syncing)
Nexus 7 tablet 8GB (mobile)
Samsung Galaxy S3 phone (me)
Samsung Galaxy S3 phone (wife)
Dell Latitude D620 laptop

Storage -
Drobo 5S with 6TB installed (expandable to 20TB)
Current utilization 4.2TB used

XBMC Specifics -
All installations running Confluence Mod2 by MadMax
All installations feature Bluecop's Hulu and ESPN plugins (Amazon was broken last time I checked)
Custom AdvancedSettings XML file for MySQL library sync

I know it's nothing like some of the setups here, but it works well for my family. Enjoy!
Nothing to be shameful about - great setups and nice selection of hardware!
Believe me, my house looks nothing like this Smile

If there is anything I would suggest is to maybe add some nice dynamic lights (eg boblight) to the media room.

ps. I fixed your gallery link
Dang it,.......will you adopt me please,....I don't eat much and never talk during movies.
Man that was awesome. I can only hope we have a room like your media room when we get our house. Having movie theater seats is my dream.
I thought I had a pretty decent setup before I saw these pictures. My setup looks like crap in comparison now.
I like Big GrinBig Grin
Beautiful setups and home. I presume from the tiered seating that you intend to eventually fit a projector in that room, yet I don't see a PJ on your future purchases list??
How 'Bout Them Cowboys!
Thanks for fixing my link, @Kib! I knew I was doing it wrong, lol!

Thanks for all the feedback. It was a blast putting this installation together, and I'm so grateful to Team XBMC for making the world's greatest media center!

Future plans include installing a"surround" around the media room TV constructed out of MDF and then covered in faux leather "tiles", 2x2 wooden panels covered with leather fabric. This "surround" will come out to be flush with the TV, so it will stick out about 2.5 inches from the wall (total depth). Behind this "surround", I will be using an LED strip light solution to provide backlighting, and will likely tie this in with a bobolight plugin as well - I've always liked the "Ambilight" setups in these threads!

The tiered seating was installed courtesy of the home builder, with the second tier intended to house a snack bar or similar effects. The wall was originally 36" tall, which didn't work for us, as we have a beer cooler, wine fridge, microwave and ice maker installed outside this room, beneath my favorite area in the house -- the liquor cabinet(s). I reduced the size of the wall down to about 12" so we could add the extra seating. Ultimately, I may remove the stage altogether so I can install a Golf Simulator! The theater seating would then be installed on a platform that could slide back out of the way so I could tee it up, but that's a long way into the future and I need to build up some significant WAF points for that to ever happen.

So, there are no immediate plans for a projector, but if I get to do the Golf Sim, that would definitely include a good projector.

In the interest of full disclosure, though, I should add that I own my own A/V installation business and my home serves as a "showroom" of sorts, so that definitely helps with the cool toys Wink
I noted two tablets, the Nexus 7 and an Apple, which do you prefer and do you use both as controllers?
I purchased the iPad mini in January because some of the iRule features on iOS devices are ahead of the Android devices. Overall, iOS 7 is a significant improvement on my experience with a first-generation iPad (mainly because they are finally incorporating some of my favorite Android capabilities). The iPad Mini is faster than my previous iPad (that I gave to my dad), but after using an Android phone and Nexus tablet since 2011, I find certain elements of iOS frustrating, primarily due to unfamiliarity. I do, however, like the iOS devices because of AirPlay. I know there are a number of Android apps that add AirPlay functionality to Android devices, but I can still not find a suitable solution for wirelessly streaming Spotify other than with the iPad Mini.

I have two Nexii (Nexuses?), both the 2012 and the 2013 model, and I enjoy the form factor of both over the iPad Mini. They are easier to hold and offer superior screen resolution (the iPad Mini is not the Retina version). I think the 2013 Nexus is much faster than both the 2012 and the iPad Mini, but the iPad Mini seems to hold an advantage in standby battery life. It is not uncommon for me to have my Galaxy S3, Nexus 2013 and iPad Mini all with me on the patio while enjoying a cigar, but now it feels like I'm just being boastful. I wish they had kept the POGO pins on the 2013 Nexus, but otherwise it is superior, in my experience, to both of the other devices.
(2014-02-24, 23:02)Gr8rtek Wrote: [ -> ]So, there are no immediate plans for a projector, but if I get to do the Golf Sim, that would definitely include a good projector.

In the interest of full disclosure, though, I should add that I own my own A/V installation business and my home serves as a "showroom" of sorts, so that definitely helps with the cool toys Wink

WHAT? thats the PERFECT reason to get a screen and projector in that room!!

I'm thinking simple motorized screen that drops down in front of the TV, give the best of both worlds.

I'm fairly sure that would only IMPROVE your home showroom, being able to show people opt A, opt B, or opt A+B to maximize their space and options!

Man, if only I could leverage my A/V habit to making some money, I think the WAF would go way up!!

Looks good though, think you made the right call with that 2 tier seating!
What are those cool movie theater-style chairs with the drink holders? I need like 5 of those. Smile
(2014-02-28, 10:29)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]What are those cool movie theater-style chairs with the drink holders? I need like 5 of those. Smile
The black chairs came from a Dallas area retailer called Luxury of Leather. The great thing about them is they come in a variety of configuration. The bad news is they were very expensive.

The red chairs on the stage came from Costco, and all 4 chairs were under a grand.
Very nice setup! Major kudos!
Pages: 1 2