Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best Android (TV) - Kodi Box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
I bought a MyGica ATV250e box and what a POS it is!!! That's my second one in 2 weeks and have to go back to the store tomorrow for a full refund. The box loses it's settings and I have to do a hard reset so it can be usable again. That means reinstalling all the XBMC plugins which takes for ever.

So I'm still looking for a solid box I don't mind paying extra as long as it's reliable.

The thing is they all seems to be the same, a plastic box with rounded corners 2 USB on the side antenna back left corner, DC then HDMI connector. Are those all made in China and "Print your company name on it"? What's a good box that differs itself from the rest?

I was looking at the Pivos, Gbox, Minix and there's one from Dreamlink that has an aluminum enclosure and that's much wider than the rest. The thing is with those boxes is the online reviews are mixed. It's either a 1 star or 5 star rating.

MOD EDIT: Thread title changed to reflect Kodi only Android Boxes.
Geniatech is the OEM that makes most of those (Amlogic) boxes.

But there is no-one of the quality level of say Western Digital or Sony making Android boxes, Google have an official AndroidTV OS which is supposedly launching later this year but when exactly isn't known. That should give boxes with better build quality, the Hisense Pulse Pro is one of the known units.

I believe Pivos are moving away from Geniatech on their next gen boxes too but no idea when those show up, later this year I guess.

There are some Intel based boxes in the hardware forum like this that might prove more promising if you don't need Android and this guy is volunteering to try out the Samsung Homesync an Android box Samsung made but was not very popular, hugely over-priced so no-one bought it but now they are priced lower.
Thanks for the reply. So for now what would be a good box? I have to return mine today at the store and the only one they carry is the ATV250 so I think I will have to order one from Amazon. The thing is there way too many models but they all seems the same! If I go with the highest reviews and the most popular ones on Amazon it would be the Pivos XIOS DS, G-Box Midnight MX2 then the Minix NEO-X7. So which should I get for now?

I'm just reading on the Pulse so far the reviews are positive!!
I just got one from eBay quad core 4gb and 8 GB storage
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161104821402?nav=SEARCH
I think it has the best spec and runs fine
Only just got it but so far so good
Ok a couple of questions: Is the box that you claim is a pos the MyGica ATV520?

If it is could you clarify what "Settings are being lost".
There is a known android problem with xbmc that anytime the power is lost on the unit the ROM is flashed and settings are lost. If this is the case there are some very easy documented workarounds that people have in place.

I have the MyGica ATV520 and once you upgrade to the latest firmware and apply the workarounds to maintain xbmc guisettings.xml and sources.xml it is a rock solid device. I have actually sent two of these to in-laws, and they love them, and they have no technical background just my workarounds in place.

The workaround that I have in place is documented here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=183982
I know others have had success with directory binding as well.

All of this depends on what problems you are having though and if you updated your device to the latest firmware from mygica found here: http://www.mygica.com/down.asp

This box is essentially the dual core version of the Pivos Xios. If Pivos would have built a dual core version I would have bought it, but instead I bought the MyGica version.

BTW instead of opening a thread as a rant on something being a POS please first open a post for help. There are a large number of us on here that like to help! ;-)
What is the best box without doing all these workarounds and upgrades? I have the box below, I've had it 18 months and had worked great for XBMC but there could be something better out there?

MK808 Dual Core Android 4.1 TV BOX Rockchip RK3066 Cortex-A9 Mini PC Smart TV Stick by Vanz[REGISTERED SIGN] http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009NNXY1W/re....sb0MM7MYR
I've tried the firmawre upgrade already but I don't see it on the USB key. The unit loses all the settings like date, time, wifi settings etc... As for the XBMC settings it loses the video format settings, audio and whatever I input are preferences. The issue is not with XBMC but the box itself. The firmware upgrade should be online that would make it easier.

(2014-02-13, 15:27)spud2077 Wrote: [ -> ]I just got one from eBay quad core 4gb and 8 GB storage
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161104821402?nav=SEARCH
I think it has the best spec and runs fine
Only just got it but so far so good

That one is on my list as well!!!

(2014-02-13, 19:22)scubascuba3 Wrote: [ -> ]What is the best box without doing all these workarounds and upgrades? I have the box below, I've had it 18 months and had worked great for XBMC but there could be something better out there?

MK808 Dual Core Android 4.1 TV BOX Rockchip RK3066 Cortex-A9 Mini PC Smart TV Stick by Vanz[REGISTERED SIGN] http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009NNXY1W/re....sb0MM7MYR
Personally I would stay away from sticks but as I found out it's all about trial and errors if it works keep it. I think the key here is when looking for a box you need a good refund or exchange policy from the store where you buy it from. Amazon has 30 days which can give you a good idea if the box is worth keeping. In my case I don't have the time and patience to fiddle with workarounds I need something that I can trust for a long run.
I have some doubts:
The xbmc is pre-loaded in Mygica box, right?
Have you tried to install other version xbmc?
What operations did you do,the xbmc lost it's settings? Reboot or clear data?

I am using Mygica TV box,and the xbmc looks nice.
Matricom boxes are the worst I've seen. I had one that worked for 1 hour then broke. I would recommend a ouya which you can get for $70. It runs spmc (ouya xbmc) very well. Its also quite easy to put play store on it and root it. With this low price point it doesn't make sense to get a China box. I used to have a pivos M3 but it was terribly slow,jammed all the time ansd need constant firmware upgrading. I replaced it with a mk808 which works well. Much better than the pivos. Mk808 are only about $40 out of china .
" I used to have a pivos M3 but it was terribly slow,jammed all the time ansd need constant firmware upgrading. I replaced it with a mk808 which works well. Much better than the pivos. Mk808 are only about $40 out of china . "

I've used a MK809 minibox successfully for a few months now. Cost about £50 off Amazon and very easy to setup for a total Android novice,
Only downside is it's made in China!
They're all made in China :P
Or these (first Amlogic 8726-M8 quad core box with Mali 450):

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/S8-Androi...24610.html
is there a wiki guide or review that keeps track of these android tvs and reviews? There seems to be so many choices hard to tell which are good.
I think it is impossible to make a wiki guide which lists all the variants, is kept current and still provides a comprehensive overview. Reason is there are too many android boxes, even more ROMs and still even more patches. And it is not a static state but constantly new boxes, ROMs and patches emerge which makes keeping track of all combinations sheer impossible. And for argument sake if somebody could keep track, then reading something yesterday is already outdated today.

If you are an end-user who wants an out of the box experience or a one stop shop guide which makes a stick do everything you want then you have to wait until all development is done and the winning box emerges. At least you have to wait for the final XBMC 13. For now just look elsewhere.

If you are however a hobbyist and not afraid of trying things then it can work. It requires a lot of reading and keeping up with the development on different forums. My advice would be a stick with a lot of support from other hobbyists. For that reason I bought a MK808B one year ago (would not recommend it today because there are newer, better boxes now). Beware however, the popular boxes are cloned like crazy, so buying just a box with a high profile name is not enough, you could end up with a useless clone on which alternative ROMs do not work. Stock ROMs are mostly useless, which is for sure if you buy a clone accidentally. The only advice here is to buy from a known good source, forum information helps to make the right guess. But also be prepared to take a loss if you guess wrong, it is still a gamble with so much junk in the market. You may even have to make hardware mods. I for example had to improve WiFi and chip cooling and now use an external USB to Ethernet dongle.

So just don't buy any of these if you are an end user and want an out of the box experience. As hobbyist you can have a lot of fun with these but you have to know what to expect and must be willing to invest a lot of time without guarantee of a good outcome.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14