Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: setup headless WMC server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My WMC/XBMC server machine is headless. I use Remote Desktop Connection to mess with the server machine. WMC will not permit setting up TV via RDC. (Windows 7 Ultimate on all machines involved + 1 Raspbmc)

Is there a way to access the WMC TV settings via remote session? I really hate hauling a monitor and keyboard into the laundry room just to set up a new TV signal for ServerWMC to use. I live in an area with 3 different antenna directions and 1 antenna on a rotator.
Teamviewer amongst others
Teamviewer is the way to go. Your DigitalCableCard Adviser test will fail though unless you have an HDMI cable hooked up to a HDCP complaint monitor. Once it's setup you will no longer need the monitor hooked up. (one time thing)

There are several work around, but you might break extenders and a few other things that probably don't matter for XBMC (and sounds like you're not using a cablecard)
http://www.missingremote.com/guide/overr...a-center-7

I'd haul the monitor down once to setup it right just in case though. (unless it's truely impossible) You only have to hook it up once to pass the digital cablecard adviser
I gave teamviewer a half hearted try, didn't work on first attempt so I gave up easily. I may try again.

The problem is that my system is in a state of flux. No CableCard, just an antenna and the ClearQam from the FIOS.
Well you don't sound very motivated to get things working so not sure what else to say.
:-P
Teamviewer was my go to and is my fall back software right now. I also use splash top, but it doesn't work if Windows Media Center is in full screen, it has to be windowed (that's when I fall back on teamviewer).
I switched from logmein to teamviewer just recently due to logmein no longer being free. I think teamviewer is better, my only gripe is the popups when you close a session. If anyone has a fix for that let me know.
(2014-03-03, 06:23)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]I switched from logmein to teamviewer just recently due to logmein no longer being free. I think teamviewer is better, my only gripe is the popups when you close a session. If anyone has a fix for that let me know.

Glad you asked, I just posted about this a few weeks ago. I found a partial fix. (works most of the time)

http://forum.dashcamtalk.com/threads/log...sues.3935/
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
I realize this is kinda old, but I use Chrome Remote Desktop on my Chromebook laptop to access mine. It's free and very easy to use.
Also realize this is kind of old, but somewhat of a spinoff from the link JazJon posted (thanks btw), here is the script I ended up using

compiled and dropped the exe into my startup folder, brings XBMC back to focus at the end

while True
If WinWait("Sponsored session")<>0 Then
WinActivate("Sponsored session")
Send("{Enter}")
WinMinimizeAll()
WinActivate("XBMC")
EndIf
WEnd
I installed the RDP 8 update for windows 7 on my virtual server and can now run Media Center and XBMC over RDP.

Two gotchas:
1. Need to add the user to the remote desktop users group. Being in the administrators group (which worked before) is not enough.
2. Using regedt32.exe, give users read permission to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp
On Windows 7 Ultimate I can see WMC over RDP and TeamViewer...... but NOT anything related to TV.

In other words, I cannot scan for channels or add tuners via RDP or TeamViewer. I have to lug a monitor and keyboard and mouse into the laundry room to adjust TV settings in WMC.

Have I missed a secret setting in TeamViewer?
When using TeamViewer, I can get to Settings -> TV -> TV Signal. Does that work for you?

I have a question as well, my Media Center server is virtual and I cannot plug in a monitor. I can only access via VirtualBox, TeamViewer, and RDP. None of these allow me to actually watch TV. RDP says viewing is not allowed over RDP. VirtualBox and TeamViewer says Video Error: Files needed to display video or are not working correctly. Has anyone been able to play TV through TeamViewer?
My server is not headless, its a win 7 machine connected to our main tv. But with this setup, I can remotely logon with teamviewer and watch live tv with it. It doesn't play smoothly, but for debugging it works fine.
Pages: 1 2