Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Album fanart?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,
recently I've been putting a lot of effort into making my music library look prettier. Most of the artists in it are Japanese artists so the metadata and artwork couldn't be scraped from anywhere and I had to make them myself, but for some reason even after doing all that I still want to add a bit more and make some separate fanart for each album. I tried searching but couldn't find anything related to album fanart in Aeon Nox, which seems kinda obvious since it'd be too much of a bother for most peopl, but anyway I'd like to ask- is it possible in any way to make XBMC use separate fanart for every album (like just putting a fanart.jpg in the album folder)?
I'd appreciate any help, thanks Smile
I would also like know how/if this can be done, it would act abit like season fanart in TV, if you have a band/artist that has been around for a while or changed band members the fanart would be more appropriate to album
Sorry - please ignore
Music works in the same way as movies I believe. It looks for folder and poster jpegs. Look for the add-on cd-art
I'm pretty sure that cd-art manager only works for thumnails, not fanart. If I put a fanart.jpg file inside an album's folder it does nothing, sadly.
Not sure if this will be any help but you can manually add fanart and thumbs for music artists via 'Artist Information' > side/top bar > select thumb/fanart.

Edit: nevermind. I misread your first post.
Umm, sadly no answer has been found yet and I really do want to have my separate fanarts (especially for albums associated with different anime series or those that I put in the "various artist" category), so I'm bumping this.
From what I understand it -is- possible since there is this option in some other skins but none of them match my tastes like Aeon Nox..
I have extrafantart for various artists. In the "Paths" section of skin settings, there is an option to include a remote folder for fanart and cd-art. Choose a folder of your choice. Within that folder, the structure should be as follows (with the file names in bold):

(Folder) Artist Name
fanart (default artist background)
folder (default artist thumb)
(subfolder) extrafanart (additional fanart for artist slideshows should be placed here)
Album Name (album art is simply named after the album title and placed in the artist folder)

CD-art should have its own folder following the same Artist>>cd-art (named after album) format.

To make this work during playback, you will need the program Artist Slideshow (configure the slideshow to use local and remote images) and an up-to-date version of the extendedinfo script.

This wiki page goes into more detail:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Thumbnails
Great, so it seems like what I'm searching for is possible after all, but I still can't get it to work exactly.
My music folder (located in Music\Flac) is set up like this, for example:
Music\Flac\ZAQ\
now, in ZAQ's folder there are several folders for different singles, one of them is called "VOICE". So I have the folder "VOICE", in it the songs of course, and also in ZAQ's main folder I have an extrafanart folder, and in it a file called "VOICE.jpg".
My path to the music library is also set as "C:\Users\Iluz\Music\Flac\" and structure is "artist/album/"
My "Artist Slideshow" is defined with the same folder and uses both remote and local images, without the fallback and override slideshows. Download cache unlimited, no alternate name, doesn't download images from various sites but does download additional artist information.
As for the extendedinfo script, I have the folder in my %appdata%\xbmc but I don't know if I need to configure the script somehow.
Is there something that I'm doing wrong?
(2014-04-16, 20:14)Iluz Wrote: [ -> ]Great, so it seems like what I'm searching for is possible after all, but I still can't get it to work exactly.
My music folder (located in Music\Flac) is set up like this, for example:
Music\Flac\ZAQ\
now, in ZAQ's folder there are several folders for different singles, one of them is called "VOICE". So I have the folder "VOICE", in it the songs of course, and also in ZAQ's main folder I have an extrafanart folder, and in it a file called "VOICE.jpg".
My path to the music library is also set as "C:\Users\Iluz\Music\Flac\" and structure is "artist/album/"
My "Artist Slideshow" is defined with the same folder and uses both remote and local images, without the fallback and override slideshows. Download cache unlimited, no alternate name, doesn't download images from various sites but does download additional artist information.
As for the extendedinfo script, I have the folder in my %appdata%\xbmc but I don't know if I need to configure the script somehow.
Is there something that I'm doing wrong?

I find that the commands "folder" (artist thumb) and "fanart" (default background) are not read automatically by XBMC (I am sure I am doing something wrong myself...run artwork downloader, CD-art manager??). But you can get around this problem by:

- Enter Music in library mode
- Choose "Artists"
- Bring up the context menu [c] for the artist you want to edit
- Select "artist information"
- Hit up, down, left or right to bring up the side panel options
- Select "choose thumb" and "choose fanart"

From there, you should be able to manually add a default thumb and background for each artist from your local files. I believe you can do the same for albums at the album level (album information>>choose thumb).

As for the slideshow, this relies exclusively on your folder structure. I would suggest separating the music artwork and cd-art from the files where the music is contained. I don't know if that is necessary, but that is how I got mine to work:

- Create a folder called "music artwork":
- Within "music artwork", make a folder for each album artist using the same spelling of the album artist as indicated in the file's ID tags (you may need a tag reader to accomplish this. I use iTunes>>Get Info>>Album Artist, but there are other options out there). The spelling of the album artist must be identical.
- In each album artist folder, create a folder called "extrafanart". Place all slideshow artwork in the extrafanart folders. File names are not important.

To summarize the path should look like this:

music artwork>>Album Artist>>extrafanart>>1920 x 1080.jpg

I would suggest you turn on fallback slideshow to make this work and using "music artwork" as the fallback folder. If you have CD-art, it should have a path of its own.

The paths defined in Paths and the settings for Artist Slideshow must be set to Artist/Album to match the paths of the folders you created. Of course, you must also define the path to the music artwork folder in the "Paths" portion of "Skin Settings".
Well, I tried it with another path, made "Pictures\XBMC\Artists\ZAQ\extrafanart" and put VOICE.jpg in it, still didn't work. My extendedinfo version is 0.02 and Artist Slideshow version is 1.6.3, are those the latest ones? Is it possible that I've accidentally disabled the extrafanart option somewhere?

BTW regular fanart and thumb work alright and usually they are picked automatically once I refresh the info, but yeah I did have to choose some manually.
(2014-04-18, 22:03)Iluz Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I tried it with another path, made "Pictures\XBMC\Artists\ZAQ\extrafanart" and put VOICE.jpg in it, still didn't work. My extendedinfo version is 0.02 and Artist Slideshow version is 1.6.3, are those the latest ones? Is it possible that I've accidentally disabled the extrafanart option somewhere?

BTW regular fanart and thumb work alright and usually they are picked automatically once I refresh the info, but yeah I did have to choose some manually.

What does ZAQ represent? In your file path, XBMC would consider ZAQ to be an artist name. Did you point the file path in Paths>>fanart to the "Artists" folder you created. And did you change the format in Paths and Artist slideshow to Artist/Album?

Your folder structure should be Artists>>Artist Name>>extrafanart>>1920 X 1080.jpg. I would also choose a fallback slideshow in Artist Slideshow. If you still can't figure it out, I would post in the Artist Slideshow. I notice the creator replies to many queries in that thread.
ZAQ is an artist's name so all's good in that regard. The paths are also set correctly, and so is the format.
I think that in the past extrafanart -did- work for some of my TV Shows but now even when I browse those with the automatically-downloaded extrafanart that worked in the past, it doesn't work anymore. Maybe I've disabled it somewhere or I have something malfunctioning..

EDIT: Holy crap it seems that my viewtype settings were what disabled my extrafanart. So now extrafanart works and I can set the fanarts the I wanted to use for the albums- problem is, they use all extrafanart available for the artist, regardless of the album. In ZAQ's case, she has the album "VOICE" and the album "Alteration", so I've named the art that I want for "VOICE" as "VOICE.jpg" and the one for "Alteration" as "Alteration.jpg", and both of them are in the extrafanart folder. But, when browsing in xbmc, it uses both of them as a slideshow instead of using each fanart only with its respective album. Is there a setting to use only one extrafanart per album?
(2014-04-20, 16:05)Iluz Wrote: [ -> ]ZAQ is an artist's name so all's good in that regard. The paths are also set correctly, and so is the format.
I think that in the past extrafanart -did- work for some of my TV Shows but now even when I browse those with the automatically-downloaded extrafanart that worked in the past, it doesn't work anymore. Maybe I've disabled it somewhere or I have something malfunctioning..

EDIT: Holy crap it seems that my viewtype settings were what disabled my extrafanart. So now extrafanart works and I can set the fanarts the I wanted to use for the albums- problem is, they use all extrafanart available for the artist, regardless of the album. In ZAQ's case, she has the album "VOICE" and the album "Alteration", so I've named the art that I want for "VOICE" as "VOICE.jpg" and the one for "Alteration" as "Alteration.jpg", and both of them are in the extrafanart folder. But, when browsing in xbmc, it uses both of them as a slideshow instead of using each fanart only with its respective album. Is there a setting to use only one extrafanart per album?

I believe the extrafanart is artist-specific not album specific, so you are better off to keep the album fanart separate from the extrafanart. For artists with matching MBIDs, the CD-art manager can automate most of the folder creation and generation. But, in your case, you will likely have to do this manually.
Well the whole point of the thread in the first place was to find album-specific fanart, so I gotta keep searching..
For the time being I did figure out a tiring workaround by leaving the "album artist" the same but changing the artist itself to include some invisible letter (for example, "ZAQ" as an album artist will have albums by the artist "ZAQ " and "ZAQ ", and each of these will have their own fanart. But this only lets me display the fanart as a background while highlighting the tracks inside, not while choosing the album itself. I need to figure out if there's a way to display the fanart of the artists inside while browsing albums (and not tracks) instead of the album-artist fanart.
Pages: 1 2