Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: file no longer available until going into file mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Each time I launch XBMC, if I go to the movie library, XBMC tells me the file is no longer available. I then have to go into file mode, play the movie then go back to library mode and it is working again.

The files are on SMB shares.

Anyone any idea why it is behaving like this?

Thanks,

John.
Are you changing the file name each time? Is the filename accurate? You could get it to show in the movie library and then export library into separate folders and then xbmc will have that accurate information each time, I think.

But then again, there are better minds than me in this forum!
Your storage solution isn't ready the first time XBMC knocks on the door, the file mode tickle makes it work. Either some of your drives have gone to sleep and need more time to wake, or you storage solution software needs to be adjusted to accommodate this delay. I don't think this is a pathing issue.
If you're running windows - use explorer to establish a "network location" (or network drive) to the shared folders/drives (to all of them if shares are on several network units/computers). If "Network Drive", set it to reconnect on boot. Also, make sure explorer shell is loaded before xbmc (If using XBMCLauncher or similar).

As PatK says - this sounds like your shared storage is not ready to go at xbmc's first query. If doing as I mentioned here - your shares/drives should be woken up well in time.
Hi all,

It seems it is not that as I launched windows, went to my network share, launched the movie. Movie plays, stop movie, launch XBMC, go to movie library, launch movie, and it fails. Then again, I have to go to file mode, launch movie, then library mode then it works fine ;(
I have the exact same problem in Frodo. Movies and MySQL database are on a Synology NAS. It happens infrequently, but it wasn't always like that, so something must have changed.
Whenever I have this problem, I am using either the Aeon Nox or the ACE skin. With the Transparancy skin I have never experienced this problem.

Haven't had the problem on Gotham yet, but I am using the Hybrid skin there since Aeon Nox and ACE are not fully compatible yet (I think).
I doubt it's the NAS because sometimes the TV Tunes plugin is already playing the theme.mp3 which is located in the same location as the TV show I was trying to play.
Im having this same problem with ds212j i know its awake because mysql database loads before i play file i thinking about trying nfs to see if it fixes problem
@jonatan
Please let us know whether going to NFS resolves the issue or not. Sometimes I suspect it could be related to the skin I use at the time but that might just be coïncidence.
We have at least established it's not likely related to drives spinning up or otherwise being unavailable. Still network or NAS issues could be the culprit as well as a bug in XBMC or addons.
Has anyone an idea on what could be the problem? I think for me this is because maybe I am using the skin Xperience 1080. I will try some other skins to see if this comes from that or not.

Thanks for the direction,

John.
I just set up my work machine win7 with xbmc left it on confluence set up my source.xml and advancedsetting.xml launched xbmc let it load with mysql database went in movies and they played perfectly so im also thinking its skin related
I havnt had time to set my nas up with nfs yet
Im useing aeon nox
This is so irritating
Last night it took 10 min to connect to server wich makes no sence
I started watchin a movie on the pi it connects to server no problem then went down stairs watch on my win 7 and file is no longer available so i go up to files click on movies and it takes 10 min to connect dont understand why it does not connect to server at boot

It would be nice if some dev. Could look into this please
I have every room (6) setup with xbmc i wish they all worked the same but all my win 7 machines have trouble connecting
If you want someone to look at it, you'd be best off providing some debug logs. If you have a setup that work, and one that doesn't - debug logs from both for comparison would be the best.
Anyone get any luck on this problem? I have the same issue. I have two Windows 7 Boxes setup to boot eventghost as the shell which Launches XBMC. Both PC's are setup exactly the same yet only one of them keeps getting this issue.

Have stopped using NetBIOS names and referred directly using IP addresses on the samba share path with no change. Also as above I know the Nas is running (drives spun up ) as the sql server is running and the wife is usually on the main one plus when you try the file in file mode it play instantly as usually if the drive needs to spin up you get the "working" circle while XBMC waits.

Plus I have only just implemented this 2nd PC as I finally pulled out an old original Xbox which worked happily so I am sure it is not a "network" or "nas" issue.

Ill double check the logs and post my findings if anyone can help.
Same problem here unless I go into file mode first. I am using Gotham 13.2, SMB, default Confluence skin.

Another way to get it to work is if I click on one of the Movie thumbnails from the strip shown at the top of the screen (Recently Added Movies) when the MOVIES category is selected. The thumbnail starts the movie and then everything works fine in the same way "file mode first" works. BUT, the fix will not work if I go to MOVIES then move down to the RECENTLY ADDED category below it and try to start the movie from within that menu.

It only works using the thumbnails of Recently Added at the top of the screen so there must be something different going on within the skin itself?.
Out of interest have you enabled wake on lan in system settings? I only discovered it yesterday so waiting to see if it has fixed my issue...
Pages: 1 2