Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-04-17, 23:16)syk69 Wrote: [ -> ]I've noticed that on Gotham builds (both latest nightly and specific fire TV build from koying) when I choose a Dolby digital video there is always a loud static pop at start of loading movie. No such issue with DTS movies. I have pass through enabled. And only libstagefright on. Is this a known issue on android?

I Googled it a little bit ago and came across a few other discussions about this issue and the devices seemed to vary.
(2014-04-18, 02:49)cstark27 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-17, 23:16)syk69 Wrote: [ -> ]I've noticed that on Gotham builds (both latest nightly and specific fire TV build from koying) when I choose a Dolby digital video there is always a loud static pop at start of loading movie. No such issue with DTS movies. I have pass through enabled. And only libstagefright on. Is this a known issue on android?

I Googled it a little bit ago and came across a few other discussions about this issue and the devices seemed to vary.

You also getting this issue? It's very strange. Never had it with all my other players so I know my equipment is fine. Also only happens at the beginning of the movie. It makes the static pop and then the audio is fine. Luckily don't have that many movies in AC-3. Majority is DTS where there are no issues.
Yeah I've been getting it. I haven't used Gotham on my HTPC so I am not sure if it's because of that or something else. The only "fix" I saw was disabling pass through, but that's not really an option for me. XBMC Log Uploader isn't working for me right now or I'd put something up.

I have a Denon receiver.

Edit: Updating my receiver's firmware and will try with the FTV's audio set to Stereo.

Edit2: That didn't change anything. Still static when starting a Dolby Digital file.
If anyone is looking for a great PTV front end box that will play off of a NAS or some other storage get the Amazon Fire TV.

I am a long time PTV supporter I started with the ATV 2 then went to the HP NL40 , Rpi, and Arctic MC0001. So I am pretty familiar with the hardware needed to push PTV. I have about 500 movies scrapped along with 5 TV series that I load into PTV.

I received the Fire TV today and followed the wiki instructions and loaded the Gotham build. Yep doesn't work with PTV. I then loaded the SPMC build and installed the FRODO PTV Build. Works perfectly. This device has a bluetooth remote that has just enough keys to do channel up down EPG and exit. Plays just about anything I throw at it. Also, seems to pass DTS through just fine. I do not have any HD Audio, 24 fps, or Anime. Just normal US blu ray rips in 1080 and 720p encoded with H264. Hope this info helps someone!
(2014-04-17, 23:47)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]You might want to look at keyboard keys for ff and rewing in XBMC and then set up your flirc for those as keyboard presses. I am sure that will work. If not you might have to look at editing your keyboard xml which I personally hate doing.

I think I am not stating things right. If all you want is to run XBMC then you can get it all to work with FLIRC. But, if you want the ir remote to work for other apps on the Fire TV it is not as simple. XBMC has keyboard equivalents for everything so of course FLIRC or MCE will work. I realize this is an XBMC forum but anyone buying a Fire TV will surely want it for other things.

Philip
Hey guys, wondering if it's possible to update your library in the middle of the night? Coming from a Pi, I just used the addon to do it at 3a.m., but not really sure how to accomplish the same thing with the AFTV going to sleep.

Would an app like Tasker (or similar app/addon) be able to wake it up to start XBMC prior to the library update addon cron job? Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as is all the hard work going into these builds/info. So far really loving this box and the future is looking great!
(2014-04-18, 04:26)pmcd Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-17, 23:47)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]You might want to look at keyboard keys for ff and rewing in XBMC and then set up your flirc for those as keyboard presses. I am sure that will work. If not you might have to look at editing your keyboard xml which I personally hate doing.

I think I am not stating things right. If all you want is to run XBMC then you can get it all to work with FLIRC. But, if you want the ir remote to work for other apps on the Fire TV it is not as simple. XBMC has keyboard equivalents for everything so of course FLIRC or MCE will work. I realize this is an XBMC forum but anyone buying a Fire TV will surely want it for other things.

Philip

I don't plan to use the Fire TV remote, but I'm basing my controls off the Fire TV remote and adjusting the XBMC mappings as needed. Only a couple of changes to the XBMC mappings should be needed in my situation with a Harmony One. I want Esc (which works as back for the Fire TV) to be the back key instead of Backspace, and the media keys seem to work in both XBMC and the other Fire TV apps (tested in Netflix and Pandora so far). I also plan to change the context menu button in XBMC to the menu key. The Fire TV is sending the media keys for play/pause, fast-forward, and rewind, and XBMC is recognizing the media keys (it wasn't at first on the Fire TV).

With just a couple of changes to XBMC's mappings, I should have a viable solution for controlling all Fire TV apps (I'm not done making my changes just yet).
If you still have the pi, set up MySQL database sharing and get the pi to do the updating.
(2014-04-18, 04:47)sspectre Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-18, 04:26)pmcd Wrote: [ -> ]

Philip

I don't plan to use the Fire TV remote, but I'm basing my controls off the Fire TV remote and adjusting the XBMC mappings as needed. Only a couple of changes to the XBMC mappings should be needed in my situation with a Harmony One. I want Esc (which works as back for the Fire TV) to be the back key instead of Backspace, and the media keys seem to work in both XBMC and the other Fire TV apps (tested in Netflix and Pandora so far). I also plan to change the context menu button in XBMC to the menu key. The Fire TV is sending the media keys for play/pause, fast-forward, and rewind, and XBMC is recognizing the media keys (it wasn't at first on the Fire TV).

With just a couple of changes to XBMC's mappings, I should have a viable solution for controlling all Fire TV apps (I'm not done making my changes just yet).

When you have everything working well with the harmony please add your configuration to the wiki! If not please post it here and I will add it. Thanks!
(2014-04-18, 05:35)touser Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-18, 04:47)sspectre Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-18, 04:26)pmcd Wrote: [ -> ]I think I am not stating things right. If all you want is to run XBMC then you can get it all to work with FLIRC. But, if you want the ir remote to work for other apps on the Fire TV it is not as simple. XBMC has keyboard equivalents for everything so of course FLIRC or MCE will work. I realize this is an XBMC forum but anyone buying a Fire TV will surely want it for other things.

Philip

When you have everything working well with the harmony please add your configuration to the wiki! If not please post it here and I will add it. Thanks!

I've added my initial findings to the Flirc and the keyboard sections of the wiki already, but I will add more when I'm done.
Working on creating a suitable keymap, but for some reason my <VirtualKeyboard> section isn't working -_- am I just missing something? Or is this an issue with the current build?

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<keymap>
  <FullscreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>Playlist</menu>
      <backspace>Stop</backspace>
      <rewind>SmallStepBack</rewind>
      <fastforward>Fullscreen</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenVideo>
  <videoplaylist>
    <keyboard>
      <rewind>MoveItemUp</rewind>
      <fastforward>MoveItemDown</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </videoplaylist>
  <global>
    <keyboard>      
      <rewind>Queue</rewind>
      <fastforward>Fullscreen</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
  <VirtualKeyboard>
    <keyboard>
      <menu>Shift</menu>
      <play_pause>Symbols</play_pause>
      <rewind>CursorLeft</rewind>
      <fastforward>CursorRight</fastforward>
    </keyboard>
  </VirtualKeyboard>
</keymap>

Also of note, after analyzing some of the applications I downloaded, I have found that they do not contain the images that the interface uses to display them. So this means that there is a cache of these images somewhere. Even if we don't ever manage to get xbmc to show up in the app list; we could at least swap some photos around and use llama to pseudo shortcut it and make it look good.
Is there anyway to control the audio with the Amazon remote? With passthrough enabled?
Pass through does just that. If you could control it on the computer, it wouldn't be passthrough.
I'm sure my ignorance is taking over, but when I press "volume up" on the remote it says "Passthrough audio in use" ... shouldn't that change the volume on my receiver?
Only if hdmi-cec is working. Personally I don't know enough about cec.