Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Copy the file into the same folder as where you are running adb.exe from
(2014-04-18, 21:08)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-18, 20:26)kalikid021 Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone offer insight to this?

(2014-04-17, 21:57)kalikid021 Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone using AFTV relocated their /userdata/thubmnails folder to a remote location(SMB, NFS, etc) successfully using advancedsettings.xml, and if so has it affected performance of the UI at all. I would like to do this if it is possible.

I've done this before, back in Frodo, and it worked fine. It was a tad slower populating the graphics, but nothing too bad. The best part of doing with was it ensured all instances of XBMC showed the same artwork for my media, and it only had to be scraped once.
Since Gotham, though, I haven't really cared about doing it again.

I'm doing this currently and I don't notice slowdown with it really compared to when it cached its own. It's not as snappy showing artwork as it was on my full up media center pc, but it's nothing terrible either.
Am i missing a step before or after? ive been at this since 8 this morning!!
(2014-04-18, 21:43)ktrdsl23 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-18, 21:32)sspectre Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-18, 21:24)ktrdsl23 Wrote: [ -> ]I purchased a flirc to use with my Fire TV. I've read the wiki here and gone to Flirc's site but am confused where to start. I have a URC remote which I want to use to control the Fire TV. It is RF with IR blasters.

So do I plug the flirc into my PC and map the Fire TV remote buttons to the virtual remote on my PC? Assuming I do, once I plug the flirc into the Fire TV how do I get my URC remote to send the correct commands?

Thanks.

The Flirc receives IR commands, so it would need to go off of what the IR blaster was sending. Perhaps put an IR blaster on the Flirc, set up your remote as some device (the Flirc figures out how to translate an IR signal into a keyboard stroke, so you can set up your remote as any device), then in the Flirc application you can map your keystrokes to the remote and the RF would then send the signal via the IR blaster to the Flirc to do the mapping.

For example, perhaps you set up your remote as a Visio TV (it's best to use something you don't own to avoid conflicts). Take the RF device, put an IR blaster on the Flirc, plug the Flirc in the computer, and run the Flirc application. It will let you set up all the keystroke commands using the GUI. Then, once you've set up the Flirc, take it out of the computer and plug it into the USB port on the Fire TV. Test and adjust if needed.

Thanks. So it does sound like it is the second part of what I put (after the edit which isn't quoted). So forget about my remote presses, the Flirc is going to tell the Fire TV up/down/FF etc. and the Fire TV will understand what the Flirc is sending. I thought I had to tell the Flirc what the Fire TV remote does but that doesn't seem to be the case. Instead the PC part is to have the remote I want to use communicate to the Flirc so it knows what button press is up and what is down. I will test and come back with questions.

Sorry, I must have already started replying when you edited. Yes, start with the Flirc in your computer. The Flirc will record the IR commands and learn what commands to send the Fire TV when you set it up. To the Fire TV the Flirc looks like a keyboard. I think you have the idea based on what you've written above.
(2014-04-18, 22:37)smoothj Wrote: [ -> ]Am i missing a step before or after? ive been at this since 8 this morning!!

You need to provide more details...what error message are you getting?

Just make sure that you are running the adb command from the directory that has the file adb.exe.
IS FAST FORWARD CORRECTED IN GOTHAM BUILD USING FIRETV REMOTE .
GODDDDDD BLESSSSSSS U ALLLLLLLL
(2014-04-18, 22:21)dismantler Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-18, 22:16)XmemphistoX Wrote: [ -> ]You would type in: adb install xbmc-20140418-4540f80-Gotham-armeabi-v7a.apk

You can also rename it xbmc.apk to make it easer to type in the command prompt Wink

or just type 'x' and hit TAB to autocomplete.

(2014-04-18, 23:08)Japgeisha Wrote: [ -> ]IS FAST FORWARD CORRECTED IN GOTHAM BUILD USING FIRETV REMOTE .
GODDDDDD BLESSSSSSS U ALLLLLLLL

READ/SEARCH THE FREAKING THREAD! DON'T JUST REPOST IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO READ.
The rew/ff buttons on Fire TV's remote don't work for me on Gotham. I'm using the April 18 build with Amber skin. I uploaded this this keymap like so (below) and nothing Sad. What am I doing wrong?
Code:
adb push keyboard.xml /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps
Sorry if I'm repeating well known observations, but I finally got around to sideloading XBMC today (nightly Gotham build). Full bitrate Blu-ray MKV (h.264) content seems to play smoothly. Surprisingly, HDTV MPEG-2 content (1080i and 720p Windows Media Center .WTV files) also seem to play smoothly. Not surprisingly, VC-1 Blu-ray encodes are unwatchably choppy. Sad My testing thus far has been with a bedroom 1080p TV, so I'm just testing stereo audio at this point. Next up will be my living room 5.1 setup. I do not rip high def audio tracks, so I don't care about that. Regular Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 is all I need.

So the big drawbacks for me are:

1) Lack of VC-1 support (anyone know if this format is being used more or less than it was before for new Blu-ray encodes?)
2) Lack of 24Hz/fps support.

More minor issues:

3) Having to drill into the Settings menu to get to the sideloaded XBMC app. But I understand that this can be overcome by using another app to auto-load XBMC on boot-up, which I'll tinker with later.
4) Pressing the Home button brings you all the way back to the Amazon Fire TV home screen. If you hit this by mistake, you then have to get back into XBMC through the convoluted Settings menu again. Anyone know of a workaround for this? The alternate remote mappings that are on the Wiki don't seem to change this button at all.
(2014-04-19, 01:17)Scott R Wrote: [ -> ]4) Pressing the Home button brings you all the way back to the Amazon Fire TV home screen. If you hit this by mistake, you then have to get back into XBMC through the convoluted Settings menu again. Anyone know of a workaround for this? The alternate remote mappings that are on the Wiki don't seem to change this button at all.

Some of the apps that provide solutions for your third issue will also provide a resolution here. I believe some people are using Llama so that if the home button is pressed, the FTV goes right back to XBMC.
I've added an example of using a Flirc to replace the Fire TV remote and have XBMC control on the wiki.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ama...e_TV#Flirc
(2014-04-19, 01:33)sspectre Wrote: [ -> ]I've added an example of using a Flirc to replace the Fire TV remote and have XBMC control on the wiki.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ama...e_TV#Flirc

Thanks....that is very impressive.
sspectre, I may just use your remote settings for my Harmony One, but can you let me know if the way I'm pushing keyboard.xml is correct (Post #1583 above)?
(2014-04-19, 01:38)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]sspectre, I may just use your remote settings for my Harmony One, but can you let me know if the way I'm pushing keyboard.xml is correct (Post #1583 above)?

That seems to be correct. I am using the same command
Code:
adb push keyboard.xml /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps

Kindly report your experience with Harmony using the keymap.
(2014-04-19, 01:38)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]sspectre, I may just use your remote settings for my Harmony One, but can you let me know if the way I'm pushing keyboard.xml is correct (Post #1583 above)?

I'm using:

Code:
adb push keyboard.xml /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml