Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-04-21, 23:28)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Just to update on the VC-1 issue. I received another response from Amazon, this is still just a L1 support answer, but apparently it has been pushed to the tech team.

Quote:Hello,

I understand you're concerned about the compatibility of VC-1 format of videos with Amazon Fire TV.

I've forwarded you query to our technical team for further research and I just want to let you know I’ll personally follow up and I’ll write back to you as soon as the technical team gives me more information.

Please be assured that we are here to make things easier for you. We will take each and every action to prevent you from bearing any loss.

Your patience is truly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

I'll update again if and when I get more info.
seems like they at least care that's why I like about minix. Most of these box companies like matricom and such put out a box then don't care what you think after you already bought
I'll be getting mine delivered tomorrow. Can I use a PS3 or XBOX media remote for XBMC?

Is there a list of compatible remote controls yet?
(2014-04-22, 00:39)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair, wasn't it DTS rather than Dolby who charged for DTS licences? Surely Dolby couldn't charge for their rivals intellectual property?
Sorry, yes, I guess I conflated the two. Anyway, point is that XBMC could do the same thing, castrate itself to pass Amazon's store requirements and allow users to load external libraries.

Even if the fireTV is quickly rooted and we figure out how to add XBMC to the homescreen (and both things will probably happen pretty quick, I'd guess), this is probably worth doing due to the tremendous amount of exposure from the store versus asking endusers to sideload. Like all things open-source, that requires a developer to take an interest and make it happen.
(2014-04-22, 00:57)derrickrozay Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be getting mine delivered tomorrow. Can I use a PS3 or XBOX media remote for XBMC?

Yes, but the middle 'Guide' button keeps blinking, which is both annoying and a battery drain. Decided to order the Nyko controller instead.
(2014-04-22, 01:50)rodalpho Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-22, 00:39)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair, wasn't it DTS rather than Dolby who charged for DTS licences? Surely Dolby couldn't charge for their rivals intellectual property?
Sorry, yes, I guess I conflated the two. Anyway, point is that XBMC could do the same thing, castrate itself to pass Amazon's store requirements and allow users to load external libraries.

Even if the fireTV is quickly rooted and we figure out how to add XBMC to the homescreen (and both things will probably happen pretty quick, I'd guess), this is probably worth doing due to the tremendous amount of exposure from the store versus asking endusers to sideload. Like all things open-source, that requires a developer to take an interest and make it happen.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure XBMC devs don't want to have to create stripped down versions of XBMC to get into App stores. XBMc could get into app stores I just think that the devs don't want to deal with having to strip down XBMC just so they can get it into an app store.
ok
(2014-04-22, 02:11)tential Wrote: [ -> ]Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure XBMC devs don't want to have to create stripped down versions of XBMC to get into App stores. XBMc could get into app stores I just think that the devs don't want to deal with having to strip down XBMC just so they can get it into an app store.
I had to quote to reply, hopefully you didn't mean that literally. Anyway, XBMC was already stripped down for Ouya, so they were willing to do it then. Really the only requirement is a dev interested in committing the time to do it.
I tried Airplay again on the Gotham Beta 4 build today and I was able to do Airplay video. However, this time there was no audio. I tried to play with the audio settings, but nothing helped. Is there something trivial that I am missing?
(2014-04-22, 02:24)Ru007 Wrote: [ -> ]Forum rules ...
Is there a point to your post?
(2014-04-22, 00:57)derrickrozay Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be getting mine delivered tomorrow. Can I use a PS3 or XBOX media remote for XBMC?

Do you mean IR remotes or the game controllers?

As I understand it, the wireless Xbox 360 game controller works if you have the USB module that connects an Xbox controller to a computer. The wired Xbox 360 controller works as well if I remember correctly. The PS3 game controller I'm not as sure about, but it's Bluetooth so there's a chance it works.

For any IR remote you'll need an IR adapter. Some Windows Media Center remotes are working and the Flirc adapter will work. For the Flirc you could use any IR remote but it requires setup on a computer first.
Anyone have Antutu score on this box yet?
(2014-04-22, 04:18)Canucker Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have Antutu score on this box yet?

Didn't try to run antutu on it yet. I can try
(2014-04-22, 04:09)sspectre Wrote: [ -> ]

Do you mean IR remotes or the game controllers?

As I understand it, the wireless Xbox 360 game controller works if you have the USB module that connects an Xbox controller to a computer. The wired Xbox 360 controller works as well if I remember correctly. The PS3 game controller I'm not as sure about, but it's Bluetooth so there's a chance it works.

For any IR remote you'll need an IR adapter. Some Windows Media Center remotes are working and the Flirc adapter will work. For the Flirc you could use any IR remote but it requires setup on a computer first.

I meant IR remotes.

For example this Sony PS3 media remote works with other devices running XBMC. It's uses bluetooth I believe
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PlayStation-3...B000M17AVO

Or the xbox 360 media remote which works with the RPi
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Media-Rem...dia+remote

I'd prefer to use one of these over an MCE remote.
(2014-04-22, 04:18)Canucker Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have Antutu score on this box yet?

My first run came up with a score of 26045

Edit: That puts it above an HTC One and just below an S4
(2014-04-22, 02:58)rodalpho Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-22, 02:11)tential Wrote: [ -> ]Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure XBMC devs don't want to have to create stripped down versions of XBMC to get into App stores. XBMc could get into app stores I just think that the devs don't want to deal with having to strip down XBMC just so they can get it into an app store.
I had to quote to reply, hopefully you didn't mean that literally. Anyway, XBMC was already stripped down for Ouya, so they were willing to do it then. Really the only requirement is a dev interested in committing the time to do it.
XBMC on OUYA is "unofficial". It belongs to ouya, not us.

We already had heated internal discussions on whether to enter the Ouya store in our own name, even before the dts/dd drama, and we never reached a consensus.
Then dts/dd asked ouya to remove decoding or get a license (note that actually both companies are chasing for unlicensed decoding), which pretty much ended the discussion so far.

The question is still open, but don't forget we doing xbmc for free in our free time, and none of us is really keen in handling cease-and-desist injunctions and/or stripped builds just for added exposure ;-)