Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-04-22, 21:39)kingslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Been Following thread for while now. I have AFTV and have been using latest nightly gotham build from April 22nd. I have not seen it reported so i figured I will post. If it has apologies. I noticed that when I play SD or HD content time window on bottom does not show you where you are in tv show or film your watching. You can fast forward or rewind and you never know where you are in film according to time because its always at 00:00:00. Are you guys aware of this and if so is there an easy fix for it.

Thanks.

I can confirm that time bar works on spmc 12.4.2 so it seems issue just with gotham builds.
(2014-04-22, 20:56)Methanoid Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-22, 19:50)ukyank Wrote: [ -> ]If no one's tried it, emulators work great in the Fire TV

Could this be any more vague? Which ones!!!!!!!!!!! Amiga, Atari ST, PSP, PSX - which?

ePSXe for Android
FPse for Android - some controllers arent working
Snes9x EX+
GSNES
(2014-04-22, 20:54)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Fire TV makes a great secondary box. Not for dedicated home theater use.

Wow that's quite the statement. I think you will find a few people here that would argue that point. I for one have replaced my htpc with the firetv already, it may not be perfect but it does everything i need it to do (HD audio would seal the deal). Also at over a 60 watt saving while doing it!
(2014-04-22, 22:39)DiegoMejia Wrote: [ -> ]ePSXe for Android
FPse for Android - some controllers arent working
Snes9x EX+
GSNES

Thanks.. Would love to hear about Atari ST & Amiga emulators also though....
I've put using emulators on the back burner for myself until either I can add on storage via USB or i can access the files over my network. I couldn't get advanced launcher to work
(2014-04-22, 21:35)underworld123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-22, 21:02)squarecut1 Wrote: [ -> ]I already have Apple TV 3 and Roku 2, so don't really need FTV as such, except for XBMC.

Is it just as easy to setup remote, navigate, etc in FTV as compared to Celeron NUC?

Thanks for your response.

It is hard to get a feel for how easy it is to operate XBMC on AFTV without trying it out. There are couple of videos on Youtube that should give you some idea. It is a capable device and I would strongly suggest that you consider it, given the price point. I was considering a NUC, but it ends up costing lot more than an AFTV.

Amazon has hassle free returns, if you don't like it Smile

Yes, the lower cost of FTV and the ability to easily return is a plus Smile

I just don't want to get bogged down in something complicated - due to time constraints. I gather you are easily able to use a MCE remote for XBMC for FTV? I ordered this the other day

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880101002

Hopefully it will all be relatively straightforward. Looks like a lot of people consider FTV to have a lot of advantages over NUC, which is good. The point about power and heat is definitely a valid one.

I have run openelec off usb on my laptop and used yatse app as remote. That was not difficult. But dont want to use a phone app when using a box connected to tv
(2014-04-22, 22:55)squarecut1 Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like a lot of people consider FTV to have a lot of advantages over NUC, which is good.
The FTV has only two advantages over the NUC in my experience. One is cost, and the other is the remote which works pretty damn good with xbmc.
(2014-04-22, 23:29)z31fanatic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-22, 22:55)squarecut1 Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like a lot of people consider FTV to have a lot of advantages over NUC, which is good.
The FTV has only two advantages over the NUC in my experience. One is cost, and the other is the remote which works pretty damn good with xbmc.

But how do you do things like bringing up the context menu in xbmc thru FTV remote?
(2014-04-22, 23:33)squarecut1 Wrote: [ -> ]But how do you do things like bringing up the context menu in xbmc thru FTV remote?

See Alternate Keymaps in wiki
(2014-04-22, 23:33)squarecut1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-22, 23:29)z31fanatic Wrote: [ -> ]

But how do you do things like bringing up the context menu in xbmc thru FTV remote?

The button with the 3 lines on it
(2014-04-22, 22:45)garvani Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-22, 20:54)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Fire TV makes a great secondary box. Not for dedicated home theater use.

Wow that's quite the statement. I think you will find a few people here that would argue that point. I for one have replaced my htpc with the firetv already, it may not be perfect but it does everything i need it to do (HD audio would seal the deal). Also at over a 60 watt saving while doing it!
he must own the 13% of vc-1 encoded blurays Smile
(2014-04-23, 01:06)tennisbgc Wrote: [ -> ]he must own the 13% of vc-1 encoded blurays Smile

I actually pulled the MyVideos78.db from the FTV to answer this question for myself (and to share) now that I have checked each of the HighDef ones. I have 113 hdmv and 41 vc-1 and I absolutely adore my FTV. It down mixes the DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD audio to the Stereo that my TV accepts just fine.

I am sure it will play Casablanca eventually (BluRay VC-1)
Anyone interest, here's a splash screen I made for the AFTV.
ImageAFTV_Splash by Tinwarble, on Flickr

You can download from here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/2i5t8174cv...splash.png

To change the splash screen follow directions here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ama...ptional.29
(2014-04-22, 22:33)kingslayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-22, 21:39)kingslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Been Following thread for while now. I have AFTV and have been using latest nightly gotham build from April 22nd. I have not seen it reported so i figured I will post. If it has apologies. I noticed that when I play SD or HD content time window on bottom does not show you where you are in tv show or film your watching. You can fast forward or rewind and you never know where you are in film according to time because its always at 00:00:00. Are you guys aware of this and if so is there an easy fix for it.

Thanks.

I can confirm that time bar works on spmc 12.4.2 so it seems issue just with gotham builds.

I've noticed this too, it doesn't happen on every video played but I've yet to find the common denominator.

Symptom:

Play a video (regular h264/aac) and time never increments past 00:00. SkipForward and SkipBack don't work and usually reset you back to 00:00. The same exact video file will play on SBMC on FireTV as well as OpenElec Gotham Beta on my ASRock ION without issue, so it seems limited to the Android Nightlies.
(2014-04-23, 03:14)nrk666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-22, 22:33)kingslayer Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks.

I've noticed this too, it doesn't happen on every video played but I've yet to find the common denominator.

Symptom:

Play a video (regular h264/aac) and time never increments past 00:00. SkipForward and SkipBack don't work and usually reset you back to 00:00. The same exact video file will play on SBMC on FireTV as well as OpenElec Gotham Beta on my ASRock ION without issue, so it seems limited to the Android Nightlies.

I'm not able to duplicate this issue in Gotham Beta 4. Which nightly build are you using?