Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not too badly priced on eBay to be honest! Will all the apps work in the UK on an imported Fire?
Where is autopilot?
geez in two weeks there has been like 80 new pages of posts... anything new to catch me up on the last 2 weeks? (i really dont want to read 80 pages just to find out).

also, the wiki page no longer works...
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

results in:
Quote:Addon id () contains invalid characters

*update* looks like its due to a maint: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1693742
(2014-04-28, 01:04)ukyank Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmmm.... I'll have to double check as I've been away for a week & haven't been using the thing, but I swore it would only sleep for me if I was out of xbmc

This is how it behaves for me too. Seems like the only way to get it to sleep is to have XBMC auto-exit when idle for a period of time.
I saw the XBMC FireTV installer script in this topic, but those apk names where hardcoded, so I decided to improve the "installer" a bit.

You download the latest nightly from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/android/arm/ put it in the XBMC dir and run the installer. It will install XBMC to
your Amazon FireTV. I also added the option to install autopilot and an uninstall option.

Download
(2014-04-28, 18:06)Senaxx Wrote: [ -> ]I saw the XBMC FireTV installer script in this topic, but those apk names where hardcoded, so I decided to improve the "installer" a bit.

You download the latest nightly from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/android/arm/ put it in the XBMC dir and run the installer. It will install XBMC to
your Amazon FireTV. I also added the option to install autopilot and an uninstall option.

Download

I only just got my Fire TV (I'm in Canada) and installed the latest Gotham nightly with no problems. I'm going to try your small file to install Autopilot as I will primarily use the Fire (and my Ouya & rPi) for XBMC.

Could your program be modified to side load any other .apk people have downloaded ? i.e. option 5, install .apk from within a certain directory ?
(2014-04-28, 16:16)benholtby Wrote: [ -> ]Not too badly priced on eBay to be honest! Will all the apps work in the UK on an imported Fire?

You just need someone to get you a us amazon account with a us billing and then just get a VPN of some sort and you can use prime and Netflix and all there is anywhere.
(2014-04-28, 19:03)Animal Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-28, 18:06)Senaxx Wrote: [ -> ]I saw the XBMC FireTV installer script in this topic, but those apk names where hardcoded, so I decided to improve the "installer" a bit.

Download

I only just got my Fire TV (I'm in Canada) and installed the latest Gotham nightly with no problems. I'm going to try your small file to install Autopilot as I will primarily use the Fire (and my Ouya & rPi) for XBMC.

Could your program be modified to side load any other .apk people have downloaded ? i.e. option 5, install .apk from within a certain directory ?

Yeah i think this is possible, I was thinking of that already. Like putting all the APK's in a certain directory, and let the application list all those programs and just press the number to install that application.
(2014-04-28, 19:37)Senaxx Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah i think this is possible, I was thinking of that already. Like putting all the APK's in a certain directory, and let the application list all those programs and just press the number to install that application.

Your next project ! I'd do it - but haven't a clue Smile
(2014-04-28, 16:04)resai Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-28, 15:58)voip-ninja Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-28, 15:55)resai Wrote: [ -> ]hi guys , so many pages and I've read most of them but still didn't find an exact answer. Does firetv support hd audio passthrough? thanks for an answer..

As per the wiki the answer is no... not at this time anyway.

thanks for the lightening answer Smile
what about multichannel flac files with 24/96 (both for audio only and for embedded in mkv vide)
Well i beg to differ here, pass through work just fine. I have tested it with xbmc latest nightly release as well as spmc. I have tested DD, DD+, DTS, DTS-MA all works fine and my receiver is able to receive 5.1Ch audio with DTS or DD. Netflix is DD+ but other players like MX player or BSplayer downmix it to stereo.
(2014-04-28, 20:02)bhelpuri Wrote: [ -> ]Well i beg to differ here, pass through work just fine. I have tested it with xbmc latest nightly release as well as spmc. I have tested DD, DD+, DTS, DTS-MA all works fine and my receiver is able to receive 5.1Ch audio with DTS or DD. Netflix is DD+ but other players like MX player or BSplayer downmix it to stereo.
Mmm... I'm pretty much sure the nightlies don't do HD Audio passthrough...
More likely, XBMC is downsampling 7.1 to 5.1.
Senaxx, thanks for your tool... it should be useful for less tech-saavy or command prompt-apprehensive people.
I don't think the tool will just be used by people who are "less tech-savvy or command prompt-apprehensive". I'm neither and I'll use Smile
Off late, I am experiencing crashes on startup on FTV. I am using the Gotham RC1. Basically, when I launch XBMC, it crashes. It typically works after I try couple of times and once it launches, it is rock solid. Any thoughts as to what may be going on?

I will post the logs soon (once I get back home), but wondering if anyone had a similar experience.
(2014-04-28, 20:26)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-28, 20:02)bhelpuri Wrote: [ -> ]Well i beg to differ here, pass through work just fine. I have tested it with xbmc latest nightly release as well as spmc. I have tested DD, DD+, DTS, DTS-MA all works fine and my receiver is able to receive 5.1Ch audio with DTS or DD. Netflix is DD+ but other players like MX player or BSplayer downmix it to stereo.
Mmm... I'm pretty much sure the nightlies don't do HD Audio passthrough...
More likely, XBMC is downsampling 7.1 to 5.1.

Indeed, with DTS-MA, just the DTS core is getting passed through, which is expected behaviour when DTS-MA passthrough isnt working. I only have 1 Dolby TrueHD to test just now, but that seemed to be getting passed through as stereo, not sure if TrueHD contains a core 5.1 or 2.0 component, or if it varies.

Koying, is HD passthrough likely to be possible in the future? or is it just a limitation of the hardware, and wont happen? I note that in the amazon fireos audio settings, the options include DD+ passthrough HDMI, but I dont think it mentions DTS.