Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-04-04, 01:16)thess Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-04, 00:40)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-04, 00:28)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Done then. It's crap Smile
Did you try disabling Librstagefright acceleration and enabling MediaCodec? FireTV specs say it uses MediaCodec.

Do you mean in Xbmc? If so, how to do this?

I've installed Gotham now and I can confirm that out of the box it is actually performing worse now---first I get a bright green screen and then eventually choppy video playback.

Hey! Yeah, that. That's exactly what I was seeing, although I never get to the choppy playback part - mine stays garbled after the green fades.. The audio comes across just fine, albeit in PCM (I assume pass thru is not working on the latest Gotham for Android).
Hello all, first post.

Regarding Gotham & FireTV, I installed the latest Beta on my Ouya last night. I had a very quick play before going to bed, but I found some vids were a bit choppy with MediaCodec enabled. I tried using Libstagefright with MediaCodec disabled which resulted in smooth play.

I did this only briefly before going to bed & I'm at work now so I cant tell you what formats I was using. I would suggest giving this a try on the FireTV. I have a FireTV on order so I'd be keen to hear if this makes any difference.
(2014-04-04, 01:18)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-03, 23:31)khaosx Wrote: [ -> ]Just got Gotham loaded, and added my NAS drive to do a quick test - video promptly craps all over itself the second it tries to play either mov or m4v formats. I'll play with it some more when I have a few minutes, but I can already see that the side loading requirement is going to make this a non-starter for me. Too easy to hit the home button and roll back to the main interface.

Still, nice box for streaming Amazon, and I'll probably keep it around just to see what develops as folks far more capable than me get a chase to hack into it.

Wired or WIFI?

I don't even try wifi on my main XBMC boxes - this was wired. Maybe if I ever decide to go with AC, but N doesn't have the juice to play my movies.
Ok, I figured out I needed to change settings level to Expert, revealing the acceleration window under video settings.

On Gotham:

Mediacodec and libstagefright enabled = green screen and choppy playback
Mediacodec only = same thing
Libstagefright only = audio but no video, or some amusing graphical bugs

Taking a short break, will come back and see if anyone has any further suggestions.
(2014-04-04, 01:47)thess Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I figured out I needed to change settings level to Expert, revealing the acceleration window under video settings.

On Gotham:

Taking a short break, will come back and see if anyone has any further suggestions.

The format and container of your video might make a difference. What are you trying to play. MediaInfo will tell all and it runs on all desktop boxes. For the future, just saying 'video does not play' is not much help at all. The format and container are the most important bits of information.
Just got mine hooked up. Enabled ADB, then installed SSHDroid, ES Explorer, and XBMC Gotham Beta 3.
Pushed my advancedsettings.xml to it, to tie it into my shared DB (sharing videos over SAMBA).
Disabled libstagefright acceleration and enabled only mediacodec acceleration.
I've run through a few SD XviD, DivX, and 720p and 1080p x264 w/ DTS MKVs. So far, CodecInfo is only showing any dropped or skipped frames when I skip/FF/RW, so that's good.
I haven't played with the cache/buffer settings, which would only really help skip/FF/RW at this point.

(2014-04-04, 01:47)thess Wrote: [ -> ]Mediacodec and libstagefright enabled = green screen and choppy playback
All my videos show the green/choppy screen at the beginning, but if you skip forward then back, it all plays fine.
(2014-04-04, 01:50)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]The format and container of your video might make a difference. What are you trying to play. MediaInfo will tell all and it runs on all desktop boxes. For the future, just saying 'video does not play' is not much help at all. The format and container are the most important bits of information.

I'm seeing the issue (green w/ artifacts) with every format and container I've tried. It does play correctly if you skip forward then back.
Do you want to pick a format and container, then I can send the debug logs? Would you need verbose logging?
Have FireTV, setup. I started with sideloading Gotham Beta3. UI is super smooth. However Video playback doesn't work for shiznit.

2400 Videos, Almost all are MKV container, H264, AAC 720P to 1080P

Tried multiple files, all show Green screen, or garbled video, with audio playing fine.

Uninstalled, sideloaded Frodo, Plays like a dream. I have a 9TB readynas on the network. Can browse SMB shares and scan them perfectly.
(2014-04-04, 01:50)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-04, 01:47)thess Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I figured out I needed to change settings level to Expert, revealing the acceleration window under video settings.

On Gotham:

The format and container of your video might make a difference. What are you trying to play. MediaInfo will tell all and it runs on all desktop boxes. For the future, just saying 'video does not play' is not much help at all. The format and container are the most important bits of information.

Confirming what thess reported. The vid I've been trying to play as a test of the worst quality I'd ever try to play is x264 in an MP4 container, 704x480.
(2014-04-04, 01:50)davilla Wrote: [ -> ][quote='thess' pid='1672086' dateline='1396568840']

I know this probably isn't as much info as you're looking for, but what I'm playing back are typically 720p torrent releases of tv shows. So, used to be a lot of mkv, now leaning mp4. They are about 1-2Gb in size. The files that are playing back the best are some .mov files I purchased from iTunes and de-drm'd, but even they are a bit jittery with mild audio sync problems.

Skipping forward does defeat the green screen, but still not getting smooth playback.

I had frodo installed earlier, but it still choked on 720p content, wifi or wired.

SD is basically fine but it struggles when the OSD is up.
Wondering if anyone can try mx player and edit settings xml to play on mx player with hw accelerator on. Just to see how it plays.
(2014-04-04, 02:13)kalikid021 Wrote: [ -> ]Have FireTV, setup. I started with sideloading Gotham Beta3. UI is super smooth. However Video playback doesn't work for shiznit.

2400 Videos, Almost all are MKV container, H264, AAC 720P to 1080P

Tried multiple files, all show Green screen, or garbled video, with audio playing fine.

Uninstalled, sideloaded Frodo, Plays like a dream. I have a 9TB readynas on the network. Can browse SMB shares and scan them perfectly.

Just to add to this. I have a 10in tablet with Yatse installed and it works with XBMC Frodo installed on FireTV as well.
OK. Here's my debug log of playing a 1080p x264/DTS MKV, using MediaCodec acceleration. When first started, the display goes green and is full of artifacts. After skipping forward and back, the video plays fine.
(2014-04-03, 18:48)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-03, 17:01)drhill Wrote: [ -> ]All XBMC needs to do for me is have a quick launcher link to open Netflix/Hulu.

Totally possible in Gotham. I have a Video "addon" that all it does is call the command to launch the Netflix app. I have that addon on my XBMC home screen so I don't need to go through Programs>Android Apps.
Could easily modify that to launch any app.
I found out that the Netflix on FireTV has a different package name (org.chromium.content_shell_apk instead of com.netflix.mediaclient). So, I modified the Android Netflix Launcher video addon to call the FireTV Netflix app. I stuck the addon on my XBMC home screen, and it seems to be working fine for me, so far. Once in Netflix, just hit back a few times to get back to XBMC.
https://github.com/elmerohueso/nnxbmcnetflix
@elmurohueso,

That is good news about Netflix. Does it play HD from Netflix?

I will watch the progress on this device + XBMC closely. I was seriously considering an HP T5740 (thin client) + BCM970015 (HD Hardware decoder card that is used in an AppleTV)...