Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-05-05, 19:11)LRa Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a hack or do you think there will be one that enables watching media from usb storage?

No hack at this time; I believe Amazon said USB storage would be enabled in a future update, but I can't find a reference for that at the moment.
I dont think there is a way to turn off the device via xbmc. It will go to sleep
Is anyone using the Gotham stable release? Are you using hardware acceleration? Mediacoded, libstagefight, or both?
I ask because I am getting bad stuttering on all my blu-ray rips. Also the audio is a few seconds ahead of the video. DVD rips play fine.

What settings are you using?

Thanks
(2014-05-05, 19:34)jocala Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-05, 19:11)LRa Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a hack or do you think there will be one that enables watching media from usb storage?

I hope amazon fixes this in an update, not only for media, but for apps as well.

No chance of that happening imo. There's a reason why they prevent access, they fear it will promote piracy.
I dont think there is a way to turn off the device via xbmc. It will go to sleep
(2014-05-05, 19:53)sspectre Wrote: [ -> ]

No hack at this time; I believe Amazon said USB storage would be enabled in a future update, but I can't find a reference for that at the moment.

Really? Could you find it by any chance?
It still amazes me that any company, with technology we have these days would put out a tv box that doesn't support external HD storage, that just seems like the most basic function a tv box should have.
It shouldn't have anything to do with piracy, it's none of their business where I get my content from.

(2014-05-05, 19:53)sspectre Wrote: [ -> ]

Amazon is making this device as an entry point into their ecosystem to consume Prime content. Anything else they will see as competition, so it is very much against their business interests to enable local storage, external hdd etc.

Remember, they likely lose money on each box sold, its subsidized so you buy their content.
(2014-05-05, 19:54)z31fanatic Wrote: [ -> ]Is anyone using the Gotham stable release? Are you using hardware acceleration? Mediacoded, libstagefight, or both?
I ask because I am getting bad stuttering on all my blu-ray rips. Also the audio is a few seconds ahead of the video. DVD rips play fine.

What settings are you using?

Thanks

Its in the wiki, http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV
(2014-05-05, 20:23)MrCrispy Wrote: [ -> ]Amazon is making this device as an entry point into their ecosystem to consume Prime content. Anything else they will see as competition, so it is very much against their business interests to enable local storage, external hdd etc.

Remember, they likely lose money on each box sold, its subsidized so you buy their content.

More storage = more games you can buy Smile

Anyway, we'll see, I hope you're wrong. The lack of storage on this device is a real weak point. Meanwhile, for those looking to connect USB storage, consider connecting it to your router as a network drive.
(2014-05-05, 19:58)LRa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-05, 19:34)jocala Wrote: [ -> ]

I hope amazon fixes this in an update, not only for media, but for apps as well.

No chance of that happening imo. There's a reason why they prevent access, they fear it will promote piracy.

If this were just a streaming media box, you'd probably be right. But they're also pushing the game console angle. Console games are larger than mobile games (due to increased length and more art and music assets), and there are already some mobile games available that take up several GBs of storage. If Amazon really wants to place the Fire TV as an all-in-one media and gaming device, they'll have to provide support for external storage at some point.
(2014-05-05, 20:50)jocala Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-05, 20:23)MrCrispy Wrote: [ -> ]Amazon is making this device as an entry point into their ecosystem to consume Prime content. Anything else they will see as competition, so it is very much against their business interests to enable local storage, external hdd etc.

Anyway, we'll see, I hope you're wrong. The lack of storage on this device is a real weak point. Meanwhile, for those looking to connect USB storage, consider connecting it to your router as a network drive.

If my router supports usb storage, I can stream from it without the use of a pc? (I wanna buy this for my granda's house. There's a router but no pc whatsoever)
(2014-05-05, 21:21)LRa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-05, 20:50)jocala Wrote: [ -> ]

If my router supports usb storage, I can stream from it without the use of a pc? (I wanna buy this for my granda's house. There's a router but no pc whatsoever)

Yes. You can add any shared network shares as media sources in XBMC, including Network Attached Storage (NAS) which is what you're talking about. Just go into your router's configuration page to set up file sharing, and XBMC on the Fire TV will be able to see it when you add a source.
(2014-05-05, 20:18)Exthor Wrote: [ -> ]It still amazes me that any company, with technology we have these days would put out a tv box that doesn't support external HD storage, that just seems like the most basic function a tv box should have.
It shouldn't have anything to do with piracy, it's none of their business where I get my content from.

Where you get your content from is exactly what their business is.
Btw, does the fire supports 220 volts?