Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-05-06, 20:03)who.is.matt Wrote: [ -> ]Okay guys... Assuming Amazon will let me do it once they finally accept the app into the App Store, I'm thinking of changing the name of my app from "XBMC For Fire TV" to "XBMC On Fire". I'd also change the icons to something like this:

It's less device-specific while still remaining similar to the original idea. Since Fire TV users are the primary audience for the app, what do you guys think?

I'd prefer using the previous icon (based on my splashscreen) for the FTVLauncher icon, use an icon based on the XBMC for OUYA splashscreen (grab it out of the APK) for the OUYA launcher icon, and name the app "XBMC Launcher". All other icons can be the stock ones from the XBMC apk.
The Fire TV will ignore the OUYA icon, and OUYA will ignore the Fire TV icon (because the two systems rely on different graphic paths for their launcher icons), and the name "XBMC Launcher" is platform-independent, and makes it clear what the app does.
(2014-05-06, 20:03)who.is.matt Wrote: [ -> ]Okay guys... Assuming Amazon will let me do it once they finally accept the app into the App Store, I'm thinking of changing the name of my app from "XBMC For Fire TV" to "XBMC On Fire". I'd also change the icons to something like this:

It's less device-specific while still remaining similar to the original idea. Since Fire TV users are the primary audience for the app, what do you guys think?

I like them both so I'll happily take whatever the masses want!

Thanks for all your work on this. As far as I can see, it would be in Amazon's interests to accept this app. I for one wouldn't need to root my AFTV (assuming there is ever a public release from XDA) if XBMC is easily launched from the dashboard using your app. If plex is already there I really can't see any reason that XBMC shouldn't be.
Not sure if this has been posted, but you can watch live and DVR'd OTA TV if you have Simple.tv. The Google Play app works on Fire TV. You need to sideload it and use a keyboard/mouse. The FTV remote doesn't allow proper navigation. But, on STV forums, the company posted that they'll soon have a native FTV app.
(2014-05-05, 22:47)Senaxx Wrote: [ -> ]If someone is to lazy to do / learn some adb commands, i've updated my tool XBMC automatic installation tool.

v1.01 now works with any xbmc version (nightly, beta, final, rc)

Download: http://rghost.net/54976771

Nice Job!
(2014-05-07, 00:13)tday99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-05, 22:47)Senaxx Wrote: [ -> ]If someone is to lazy to do / learn some adb commands, i've updated my tool XBMC automatic installation tool.

v1.01 now works with any xbmc version (nightly, beta, final, rc)

Download: http://rghost.net/54976771

Nice Job!

use adb commands you will need to learn it one day or another.
WHat is autopilot?
I wish XBMC updater worked for the fire tv like it does for other android boxes so you could have a simple way to update vs using command line.
To install a new version of XBMC, can you simply push a new apk over what's already on FTV?
Anyone have luck path substituting sources.xml? Every time I try it never takes...
(2014-05-07, 01:02)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]To install a new version of XBMC, can you simply push a new apk over what's already on FTV?

It wont let me. When i try it says already on device
So, when you uninstall and reinstall, is it keeping your settings, library, add-ons, etc.? To date, I've been uninstalling and re-setting up all over again. 3-4 times now.
(2014-05-07, 01:04)ilovemymac Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-07, 01:02)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]To install a new version of XBMC, can you simply push a new apk over what's already on FTV?

It wont let me. When i try it says already on device

use this " adb install -r xbmc-13.0-armeabi-v7a.apk"
instead of "adb install xbmc-13.0-armeabi-v7a.apk"

(2014-05-07, 01:12)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]So, when you uninstall and reinstall, is it keeping your settings, library, add-ons, etc.? To date, I've been uninstalling and re-setting up all over again. 3-4 times now.

it has kept my settings until now

Love the new icon great job
(2014-05-07, 01:02)Lunatixz Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have luck path substituting sources.xml? Every time I try it never takes...

It definitely works. Try restarting XBMC after uploading your changed file.

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml is the correct path, in case you had it wrong.
i have my fire tv plugged directly into my tv, there is still a good number of files where the audio is out of sync. is there a setting i am supposed to change? these files play fine on xbmc for apple tv2 and windows.
(2014-05-07, 01:34)Migalicious Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-07, 01:02)Lunatixz Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have luck path substituting sources.xml? Every time I try it never takes...

It definitely works. Try restarting XBMC after uploading your changed file.

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml is the correct path, in case you had it wrong.

<substitute>
<from>special://profile/sources.xml</from>
<to>smb://ip/XBMC/userdata/sources.xml</to>
</substitute>

Does this look correct?