Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just saw your link... will try it. Thanks.
Does anybody know the syntax I would need to copy a zipped file into my amazon fire so that I can install it from xbmc?
Sorry some what of a newbie. When I try to side load XBMC I get unable to connect device 5555 at the adb connect command. I am using my phone and Terminal Emulator.

Thanks in advance.

Fixed it Router Problem. : > /
(2014-05-07, 23:48)GTV17 Wrote: [ -> ]Does anybody know the syntax I would need to copy a zipped file into my amazon fire so that I can install it from xbmc?

Why not just use XBMC's file manager to install it from a network share? That's generally easier when dealing with installing addons from zip files.

But if you want to do it with adb, the syntax is:
Code:
adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
adb push yourfile.ext /sdcard/

Then you'd just have to locate the file on the device when installing the addon. Like I said, just putting the file in a shared folder and navigating to that folder when installing the addon from a zip would be faster and easier.
I'm running xbmc ouya version 12.3 on Fire tv. It seems to be exiting out of xbmc back to android during video playback. As far as I can tell its random. In fact it's not always during playback. I've come back to it the next day, and it's been back on android after I left it on xbmc.

Anyone have any clue? I heard this was a stable version. Should I go with the latest Gotham version? If I change versions, do I have to uninstall and then install the different version? Would xbmc backup restore everything even if i change versions of xbmc? I wouldn't want to go through all this only to have the same problem.

Thanks in advance
(2014-05-08, 01:06)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running xbmc ouya version 12.3 on Fire tv. It seems to be exiting out of xbmc back to android during video playback. As far as I can tell its random. In fact it's not always during playback. I've come back to it the next day, and it's been back on android after I left it on xbmc.

Anyone have any clue? I heard this was a stable version. Should I go with the latest Gotham version? If I change versions, do I have to uninstall and then install the different version? Would xbmc backup restore everything even if i change versions of xbmc? I wouldn't want to go through all this only to have the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Gotham is now a stable release, you should use that. You can install it alongside the ouya version as they have different signatures. Its in the wiki.

I dont know about the backup thing you mention, I have no idea if pulling the userdata and replacing would work across versions, my suspicion would be no, but I dont know for sure. But I can tell you Gotham release (and for a while on nightlies now) is extremely stable for me at least.
(2014-05-08, 01:38)Apothis Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-08, 01:06)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running xbmc ouya version 12.3 on Fire tv. It seems to be exiting out of xbmc back to android during video playback. As far as I can tell its random. In fact it's not always during playback. I've come back to it the next day, and it's been back on android after I left it on xbmc.

Thanks in advance

Gotham is now a stable release, you should use that. You can install it alongside the ouya version as they have different signatures. Its in the wiki.

I dont know about the backup thing you mention, I have no idea if pulling the userdata and replacing would work across versions, my suspicion would be no, but I dont know for sure. But I can tell you Gotham release (and for a while on nightlies now) is extremely stable for me at least.

I'll give it a try. Wish there was an easier way. Problem with installing alongside though is the limited storage space on this thing. I really wish they would fix this and allow for extra storage. If I knew it would fill up this easily I probably wouldnt have purchased it.
Thank you for the feedback.
(2014-05-08, 02:01)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-08, 01:38)Apothis Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks in advance

I'll give it a try. Wish there was an easier way. Problem with installing alongside though is the limited storage space on this thing. I really wish they would fix this and allow for extra storage. If I knew it would fill up this easily I probably wouldnt have purchased it.
Thank you for the feedback.

Once you've installed Gotham, and are happy its working, you can then just uninstall the other one.
The MPEG-2 de-interlacing issue still exists in the stable release of Gotham.

In case anyone was curious.
(2014-05-05, 18:19)Diet-Coke Wrote: [ -> ]How is the WiFi performance of the Fire TV, can it stream 720p/1080p movies?

With 24Mb buffer increase in the Advancedsettings.xml all my 1080p movies played great with a N900 Router where other devices can't.
(2014-05-08, 04:01)D3w4yne Wrote: [ -> ]The MPEG-2 de-interlacing issue still exists in the stable release of Gotham.

Yes, I hope they are looking at this and will be able to address it soon. My return window is running out...
(2014-05-07, 15:50)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, will try that and report back shortly. But, it's odd that container would matter. Hopefully, if just container issue, it should be fixable in XBMC.

Update: Just tested 'The Dark Knight Rises' and 'Django Unchained' in m2ts containers and perfect playback! Great, but why not in MKV?!

I also use MakeMKV to rip my Blurays. For what you did above, was the result like this:

Dark Knight Rises [folder]
--BDMV [folder; contains STREAM/*.m2ts]
--CERTIFICATE [folder]
--(etc.)

This is what I use, and if these play back well, I think I'll take the plunge and replace my ATV2 with the AFTV.
(2014-05-07, 20:13)lartomar2002 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-07, 14:02)jtr2006 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-06, 20:03)who.is.matt Wrote: [ -> ]Okay guys... Assuming Amazon will let me do it once they finally accept the app into the App Store, I'm thinking of changing the name of my app from "XBMC For Fire TV" to "XBMC On Fire". I'd also change the icons to something like this:

It's less device-specific while still remaining similar to the original idea. Since Fire TV users are the primary audience for the app, what do you guys think?

Like the new icon and the new name. Seems like a winner to me. Hoping Amazon lets it into the app store soon!
I do not think Amazon will ever support XBMC on the Fire because they can not generate any revenue from it. Just the opposite, they will lose revenue because most people will use XBMC rather than rent or buy videos from their site. Also they will lose what ever moneys they get from Netflix when someone rents a video.

I am also skeptical about whether Amazon will let an XBMC launcher into their app store. It may come down to how knowledgeable the person or team is about what XBMC can be used for. On one hand, it's nearly identical to PLEX in that it enables easy access to local content on your home PC. They appear to be OK with that. On the other hand, XBMC has a larger developer community and more add-ons. Of course PLEX also has several unsupported apps, but the development community for PLEX add-ons is much smaller than XBMC's.

So I think it will be an interesting test. They could argue that if they allow PLEX, why not an XBMC launcher? They could also dismiss XBMC and say they already allow PLEX so no one needs another tool to access local media. A generic launcher that allows devs to put their apps on the home screen shouldn't be out of the question. I mean it's not Apple, it's Android. So maybe something that launches apps after the user selects one from a menu of all installed apps the way Autopilot does gets it through. We will have to see. I just applaud who.is.matt for being the first to try!
(2014-05-08, 04:56)Jägs Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-07, 15:50)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, will try that and report back shortly. But, it's odd that container would matter. Hopefully, if just container issue, it should be fixable in XBMC.

Update: Just tested 'The Dark Knight Rises' and 'Django Unchained' in m2ts containers and perfect playback! Great, but why not in MKV?!

I also use MakeMKV to rip my Blurays. For what you did above, was the result like this:

Dark Knight Rises [folder]
--BDMV [folder; contains STREAM/*.m2ts]
--CERTIFICATE [folder]
--(etc.)

This is what I use, and if these play back well, I think I'll take the plunge and replace my ATV2 with the AFTV.

No, you don't need a Blu-ray folder structure. Open tsMuxeR, then drag and drop your MKV in. Choose 'M2TS muxing', then click 'Start muxing'. That's it. You'll lose chapters, but retain all audio and subtitle tracks I believe.
Hey all, newbie here (though I have been using XBMC since the mid 2000s on my original XBox 1 and since then on a Windows 7 HTPC).

I got my FireTV and I got XBMC to install just fine. However, it does not seem like it can find my server (a Windows 7 PC with all the drives set up to share). I click on "Add video source" in XBMC and then browse, and then go to Windows network (SMB) but nothing shows up. This is weird because trying the same exact thing with a Windows 7 PC and XBMC works just fine.

The really weird thing is the FireTV did give me results in the "add a network location" menu the first time I tried, but I couldn't use it because the controller wasn't moving to allow me to put in the username and password for the server. So I went into the menu system, made the change so the remote "performed keyboard presses" and *bam*, that was it, since then I was never able to find anything over the network again. I've tried rebooting, clearing the cache, using hardwire ethernet, clearing all of the settings back to default, nothing is working.

Does anyone know what could be going wrong? I am using the most recent stable Gotham release for the FireTV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.