Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just purchased a Fire TV.Running SPMC.Device is streaming seamlessly from NAS playing every format I can Throw at it.Is there any benefit in running Gotham. i Have no interest in streaming from my ServerWMC.Just asking because everyone seems to be going to Gotham.
(2014-05-09, 20:17)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]MediaCodec works for me Smile

Really? Did they fix it in one of the later/final builds? I've never tried re-enabling it after it was first found not to work well.
(2014-05-09, 18:07)tential Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-09, 03:22)corin99 Wrote: [ -> ]MPEG2 plays great for me. I'm using Gotham RC1 and playing 1080i/720p OTA recordings using ServerWMC/wmc.pvr. Deinterlacing is grayed out, but the video looks fine.

On my pc I only deinterlacing if I select it. It's not grayed out and I thought I had hardware decoding.

Same with my phone actually. I had to select deinterlace.
Am I skipping a step somewhere?

No, I didn't do anything special. I can't explain how, but I am able to watch MPEG2 with deinterlacing grayed out and set to off. I even took pvr software out of the picture and played the files directly. Still play fine. My settings are mostly defaults.

However, I did discover something interesting. Deinterlacing is only grayed out when Libstagefright is turned on. Using Software decoding or ONLY MediaCodec makes it available. If both LibstageFright & MediaCodec are on, it's grayed out. Also, Skip Fwd/Back is blurry & slower when Libstagefright is enabled. Which seems odd if there's no hardware acceleration for MPEG2.
This box is still glitchy sometimes, it freezes on certain screens or I get kicked out when watching a show, I only have a couple addons installed and still get the green bar sometimes when watching a movie.
I may end up returning this and getting something that was more made for XBMC.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ama...re_TV#OS_X

I've added OS X instructions for adb to the wiki. This includes a link to a standalone adb executable (v1.0.31). Android Studio and Android Developer Bundle instructions for adb are covered as well. This was tested under Mavericks, but should be OK for Leopard and above.

I'll modify the above and test with Linux this weekend.
(2014-05-09, 13:44)underworld123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-09, 09:54)logan_x50 Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone else had trouble with getting custom keycaps working? I've followed the wiki and created keyboard.xml (third type from the wiki) and i've used dab to push adb push /Users/Steven/Desktop/keyboard.xml

/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/
153 KB/s (2581 bytes in 0.016s)

so i'm pretty sure i've done this correctly. Still re-starting xbmc the new map doesn't take effect (i test by trying menu button during video playback and it does nothing)

any ideas chaps?

Try reading back the keymap.xml from the FireTV just to make sure it is the updated file.

Thanks but what do you mean "reading back"?
(2014-05-02, 16:05)nrk666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-23, 23:45)nrk666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-23, 03:23)sspectre Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not able to duplicate this issue in Gotham Beta 4. Which nightly build are you using?

I was using the most recent, 20140419 from the nightly. I've found that power cycling the FireTV also has a positive effect on this problem as videos that were misbehaving with this issue would work fine following a power cycle. I'm going to wait to see if it happens again and I'll report back with a debug log if it does.

I've been able to reproduce this problem of 00:00 time clocking on videos. I've found that the issue doesn't present itself right away, but requires the unit to be on for a decent amount of time. I've had to leave my FireTV on for at least a couple of days for the issue to resurface, and power cycling the FireTV seems to solve the problem. Unfortunately, I wasn't running a debug log this last time it happened, but now that I know how to reproduce it, I'll get one.

I experience this exact same problem. Here is a pastebin of the log http://pastebin.com/rE0JmwmX

I opened a file and tried skipping forward multiple times, only to have it reset the counter to 0 and start from the beginning. It's really irritating. Clearing the cache/data/reinstalling xbmc doesn't seem to help.
(2014-05-09, 21:34)corin99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-09, 18:07)tential Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-09, 03:22)corin99 Wrote: [ -> ]MPEG2 plays great for me. I'm using Gotham RC1 and playing 1080i/720p OTA recordings using ServerWMC/wmc.pvr. Deinterlacing is grayed out, but the video looks fine.

On my pc I only deinterlacing if I select it. It's not grayed out and I thought I had hardware decoding.

No, I didn't do anything special. I can't explain how, but I am able to watch MPEG2 with deinterlacing grayed out and set to off. I even took pvr software out of the picture and played the files directly. Still play fine. My settings are mostly defaults.

However, I did discover something interesting. Deinterlacing is only grayed out when Libstagefright is turned on. Using Software decoding or ONLY MediaCodec makes it available. If both LibstageFright & MediaCodec are on, it's grayed out. Also, Skip Fwd/Back is blurry & slower when Libstagefright is enabled. Which seems odd if there's no hardware acceleration for MPEG2.

I think one of the devs stated earlier that the options will be grayed out if it is hardware decoded. If it is hardware decoded then it should be assumed that deinterlacing is done automatically. That was my assumption.

I watched some TV last night and I didn't notice any horizontal lines. It might be possible that hardware decoding is properly deinterlacing now? Not sure if that's something fixed by Amazon or by the final release of Gotham.

Dewayne
After switching to Gotham from Frodo, I am seeing audio delay issues, and it's not of the kind in which I can set a global audio sync change. Some videos are need adjustment to the negative direction, and others to the positive direction. Another thing I have noticed is that I have no ability to make settings changes to hardware/software decoding, or codec. The settings are greyed out, in both versions.
(2014-05-09, 16:25)treqie Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question about the keymapping. On the appletv, if you held down the enter/middle button, xbmc would scrape the movie information. I'm trying to find how to add that function to the remote. Does anyone know how to do that? If you press the.. button next to the home button, you get a context menu, but there's no scraping option there.

From the tv or movies list, hit left to load the side menu. Update library is on the bottom.
logan_x50, I was having the same issue as you, and after upgrading to Gotham stable from RC1, I tried again today and it worked. I know I followed the same procedure before. Only difference was this time as soon as I pushed the new APK, next I immediately pushed the keyboard map XML file.
(2014-05-09, 22:03)D3w4yne Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-09, 21:34)corin99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-09, 18:07)tential Wrote: [ -> ]On my pc I only deinterlacing if I select it. It's not grayed out and I thought I had hardware decoding.

I think one of the devs stated earlier that the options will be grayed out if it is hardware decoded. If it is hardware decoded then it should be assumed that deinterlacing is done automatically. That was my assumption.

I watched some TV last night and I didn't notice any horizontal lines. It might be possible that hardware decoding is properly deinterlacing now? Not sure if that's something fixed by Amazon or by the final release of Gotham.

Dewayne

Even in the final release, if LibstageFright is on, Deinterlacing is grayed out on the menu during playback. But there doesn't seem to be any problem with using MediaCodec now and skip fwd/back is better without Libstagefright on.

MPEG2 is not hardware decoded on AFTV due to licensing issues.
I'm trying an app to mount samba shares, so I can use a torrent client on the ftv, and download stuff on a network share. But when I try to mount, it has a problem with the using the su command. Is this something that needs the unit to be "rooted", or just busybox or something? I've come across "no permission" here and there. Like if you connect through scp, to upload stuff, it says "operation not permitted", although the file was transfered.
(2014-05-09, 20:13)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-09, 19:04)toddhutch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-09, 18:18)nathan909 Wrote: [ -> ]So i got everything all set up per the wiki, running gotham 13 ...

All my HD content is at 24hz, so when I play back any movie it gets JERKY (SHUTTERS) every few seconds. Its hard wired so its not a wifi issue.

Same content plays Perfect on XBMC via HTPC
and near perfect on PLEX over wifi via chromecast

But for some reason this AFTV box just shutters...

Any help?? I'm really close to my 30day return.

Thanks,
Nathan

Have you already rebooted your ATVF box?
Also, did you disable Media Codec acceleration, as per the wiki? Only LibStageFright is currently supported on the FTV.

Yes, Media Codec acceleration is disabled.

Playback just isn't smooth, it doesn't show that its dropping any frames, but it looks like there is one missing every few seconds.

Should a 24hz movie play smooth?

Its something you would only see when there is scrolling action on screen.
Easy to see on a intro to a movie, when you look at the shot of the globe rotating and zooming out. Looks like it skips a frame here and there.
(2014-05-09, 22:03)D3w4yne Wrote: [ -> ]I watched some TV last night and I didn't notice any horizontal lines. It might be possible that hardware decoding is properly deinterlacing now? Not sure if that's something fixed by Amazon or by the final release of Gotham.

As I said before, it still isn't working for me. Watch some more 1080i content and you will probably see there still are problems. DVDs don't look good either.