Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-05-25, 16:34)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]im looking to pick up an aftermarket remote/keyboard/air mouse combo but im having trouble finding the best choice, i would like a working D pad, whats a good choice?

something like this but with the ability to use the D pad also, does anything like this exist that works out of the box?

The orange keys are infrared, terrible option. try the melee f10.
(2014-05-28, 05:15)Maito Wrote: [ -> ]I increased the buffer size in the advancedsettings.xml to 24k and now every 1080p (10Gb+) movie plays perfect. My setup NAS+N900 Router + AFTV away 45 feet.

It occurs to me that I had to do a bunch of settings on my NAS ages ago to make it able to stream well for the Western Digital TV Live Plus under the SMB/CIFS settings. I note that it had worked OK with windows boxes, but the embedded boxes (MIPS, ARM, Atom) worked much better once the NAS was tuned. Tuning your NAS is beyond the scope of AFTV, but you may wish to look into it for your particular NAS.
(2014-05-27, 23:54)bafangul Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-27, 06:54)mjbxx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-27, 02:56)foomanshoe Wrote: [ -> ]I'm more used to tasker than Llama, but I would imagine you would setup an event that monitored when Flixster was launched, then launch xbmc.

I have no idea how to setup an event in Llama that would monitor an app (Flixter) to launch XBMC on the Fire TV homescreen.

Install Llama. > Launch Llama (From FireTV - Setting>Applications>Llama>Launch Application). > Goto 'EVENTS' on top menu > Click '+' to add new event > Select 'ADD CONDITION' > Select 'Active Application' > Select 'Choose App' > Select 'Flixter' >This should return you to Events Menu> Select 'Add Action' > Select 'Run Application' > Select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. Now when you start the Flixter app it should automatically open XBMC. Play around with Llama. It is a very handy app with many options.
Thanks for the instructions on how to do this. I now have the ability to launch XBMC from the Fire TV homescreen.
(2014-05-28, 05:31)Maito Wrote: [ -> ]The orange keys are infrared, terrible option. try the melee f10.

Interesting.
Would you say it is the best remote out there (for an affordable price)?
I have a PS3 remote that I use with my HTPC and XBMC.

Thanks.
(2014-05-28, 14:23)Snowball Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-28, 05:31)Maito Wrote: [ -> ]The orange keys are infrared, terrible option. try the melee f10.

Interesting.

Thanks.

im still on the fence myself, the mele f10 looks like a good choice, but has limitations also, one being no "back" button which reqiures flipping the remote and using the "esc" key from what i've been reading, is there a work around or fix for this issue? also can anyone with the f10 chime in on other short comings of it. thanks in advance,
(2014-05-28, 14:28)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-28, 14:23)Snowball Wrote: [ -> ]

Interesting.

Thanks.

im still on the fence myself, the mele f10 looks like a good choice, but has limitations also, one being no "back" button which reqiures flipping the remote and using the "esc" key from what i've been reading, is there a work around or fix for this issue? also can anyone with the f10 chime in on other short comings of it. thanks in advance,

I have yet to find a fix for the the back button with my Mele F10 pro in Gotham. The back button works fine with Frodo, and easy to keymap in Frodo but cannot figure it out for Gotham. If anyone else has info please let us know.
(2014-05-28, 07:14)mjbxx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-27, 23:54)bafangul Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-27, 06:54)mjbxx Wrote: [ -> ]I have no idea how to setup an event in Llama that would monitor an app (Flixter) to launch XBMC on the Fire TV homescreen.

Install Llama. > Launch Llama (From FireTV - Setting>Applications>Llama>Launch Application). > Goto 'EVENTS' on top menu > Click '+' to add new event > Select 'ADD CONDITION' > Select 'Active Application' > Select 'Choose App' > Select 'Flixter' >This should return you to Events Menu> Select 'Add Action' > Select 'Run Application' > Select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. Now when you start the Flixter app it should automatically open XBMC. Play around with Llama. It is a very handy app with many options.
Thanks for the instructions on how to do this. I now have the ability to launch XBMC from the Fire TV homescreen.

IMO, this procedure is preferable to either of the two options for accessing XBMC shown on the XBMC Fire TV Wiki. Someone should probably add it to the Wiki as a third way to get to XBMC. Right now, this is as close as you get to having XBMC on the home screen. Click the sacrificial app icon and boom: you are in XBMC. Sweet.

The only caveat is that not every application you might choose as the target to launch XBMC works perfectly. Flixster and Classic TV work well. I tried OnAiir Player TV (because I liked the logo) and got into a loop.
(2014-05-28, 15:48)jtr2006 Wrote: [ -> ]IMO, this procedure is preferable to either of the two options for accessing XBMC shown on the XBMC Fire TV Wiki. Someone should probably add it to the Wiki as a third way to get to XBMC.

Its a wiki, if you want it added, go ahead and add it Smile
(2014-05-28, 15:48)jtr2006 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-28, 07:14)mjbxx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-27, 23:54)bafangul Wrote: [ -> ]Install Llama. > Launch Llama (From FireTV - Setting>Applications>Llama>Launch Application). > Goto 'EVENTS' on top menu > Click '+' to add new event > Select 'ADD CONDITION' > Select 'Active Application' > Select 'Choose App' > Select 'Flixter' >This should return you to Events Menu> Select 'Add Action' > Select 'Run Application' > Select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. Now when you start the Flixter app it should automatically open XBMC. Play around with Llama. It is a very handy app with many options.

IMO, this procedure is preferable to either of the two options for accessing XBMC shown on the XBMC Fire TV Wiki. Someone should probably add it to the Wiki as a third way to get to XBMC. Right now, this is as close as you get to having XBMC on the home screen. Click the sacrificial app icon and boom: you are in XBMC. Sweet.

The only caveat is that not every application you might choose as the target to launch XBMC works perfectly. Flixster and Classic TV work well. I tried OnAiir Player TV (because I liked the logo) and got into a loop.

followed the instructions and mapped it to the AllCast app. works beautifully. thanks bafangul for writing it up!

also requested a wiki acct so i can put in a link to your original instructions.
the llama/flixster thing worked for me. downside seems to be that you can't quit xbmc, it opens xbmc right back up again. the home button still works at least. thanks for the suggestion though!

i found the llama.apk here if anyone is looking for it.

http://kebabapps.blogspot.com/
(2014-05-28, 16:40)sams0n Wrote: [ -> ]the llama/flixster thing worked for me. downside seems to be that you can't quit xbmc, it opens xbmc right back up again. the home button still works at least. thanks for the suggestion though!

Try using Classic TV. I had some looping problems as well, but Classic TV allows me to exit XBMC right back to the Home Screen.
Could someone who knows the answers add a Capabilities section to the Wiki?

Specifically around the video and audio capabilities of the FireTV running XBMC.

It would be great to actually have a wiki page dedicated to a matrix comparison of some of the major hardware options for running XBMC and their different capabilities, although I know this is a lot of work to compile and maintain.

e.g.

AppleTV2
Amazon FireTV
NUC i3
Ouya
Raspberry pi
etc. on the top

Price
1080p
3D
Dolby
DTS
Dolby TrueHD
DTS Master
Intensive Skins
etc. on the left
(2014-05-27, 17:00)yocoldrain Wrote: [ -> ]So there are at least 2 windows FTP clients (WS_FTP and WInSCP) that can access the hidden xbmc folders.

Jay
FileZilla works great for me. Didn't have to change any special settings to show the "." hidden folders.
(2014-05-28, 16:52)jtr2006 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-28, 16:40)sams0n Wrote: [ -> ]the llama/flixster thing worked for me. downside seems to be that you can't quit xbmc, it opens xbmc right back up again. the home button still works at least. thanks for the suggestion though!

Try using Classic TV. I had some looping problems as well, but Classic TV allows me to exit XBMC right back to the Home Screen.
Same issue as sams0n, so thanks, Classic TV works for me as well. The Flixter icon looks nicer, oh well. But, at least this single-click setup makes opening XBMC more family friendly.
How do you think Fire TV compares to Amlogic S802 boxes (hardware-wise)?

I've read that Fire TV cannot handle local USB storage devices. Is this a software limitation
(that might be fixed by someone) or is somehow hardware-related?