Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-06-03, 17:12)z31fanatic Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-03, 07:13)Harve19 Wrote: [ -> ], Youtube will load, but once I try to play a video, the program closes. It's no biggie, but I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue?

Yes, it has happened many times to me. I have uninstalled and installed the youtube app many times and it still does it most of the time. I think the app is broken on the FTV.

Definitely not an expert here but I had that problem for a few apps. Turned out it only happened if I used the home button while in xbmc and then ran the app (Netflix and Azn video mostly). If I am careful to exit xbmc normally and then run the app, no problems. Fwiw
(2014-05-19, 21:13)who.is.matt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-19, 17:59)underworld123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-19, 15:08)jtr2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I think a lot of us would like an update, but there's probably no reason to trouble the dev who submitted the app since he said he would post something as soon as there was news. If you look at the Amazon app store every week, a few things stand out: 1) they aren't approving a lot of new apps in any given week; 2) the new apps they are approving tend to be games (probably because that's the segment they want to promote); and 3) most of the non-gaming apps are pretty lame.

While I think the FTV is pretty awesome, I don't see Amazon letting any kind of launcher app into their store or on the home page. It may be technically permissible, but it's not consistent with their strategy for how they want the device used.

I've resigned myself to living with Lama. Sigh.. Sad

In fact, over the last couple of weeks the number of apps under the "Entertainment" category has gone down from 32 to 27 (currently). It is possible that the developers may have pulled the apps, but I am guessing that Amazon had a role to play.

My launcher is still "under review". Given the very small number of apps that have been approved for the FTV since its release, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I do think that it will eventually be approved, but it's not going to happen while the Fire TV is still in its débutante stage. Amazon's focusing on making everything shiny, and apparently hasn't really opened up the market yet (at least for non-game apps) except to AAA devs. As I said in an earlier post, Amazon will eventually have to be more accepting of apps into the App Store for the FTV in order to make it competitive with other Android-based devices. But right now, they seem to be trying to keep the focus on it as a set-top box and casual gaming console, rather than a generic Android box.

Your icon is not up to fire tv standard for sure, now i dont know about the app itself which you uploaded. However XBMC does indeed meet the standard.
Since no other XBMC devs have time to do graphic work .. if you need help let me know i can send you a new icon. i need the size and format.

Further, i was wondering, is it not possible to manually install this "XBMC On Fire" ? if so is there any instructions on how to ?
Is it possible to sideload another store? Like google play store?
(2014-06-03, 20:38)WDB1234 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-03, 19:28)Packetcrypt Wrote: [ -> ]I am a FireTV fan now !! I find the unit is extremely responsive and XBMC performs very well on it. It definitely performs better then the new M8 AmLogic box I have. I was also very impressed with some of the games and the fact that the standard remote actually works well to play many of them. Problem with Android boxes is that stock remotes are pretty much useless for anything other then XBMC. Would be so cool to have the voice commands working with XBMC !!

Do you get smooth playback when fast forwarding or rewinding? I have not played with any advanced settings but out of the Box my S802 box works great when skipping ahead and my Fire TV does not.

You are correct. The fast forward on the FireTv does not work as well as the M8 or any of my other android boxes . Hopefully this can be corrected . Anyone have a work around?
(2014-06-04, 06:00)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to sideload another store? Like google play store?

Only with root.
I see, that clears that up then.
(2014-06-04, 07:26)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I see, that clears that up then.

It was done with the fire tablet. You have to load google's framework first, which is the complex part. I guess cyanogen are the pioneers at this.
(2014-06-04, 05:20)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not finding anything by that name. Where'd you get it? Got a link?
I ask because S802 is a chip, AFAIK, and I've seen several boxes using it.

I just picked one on Amazon, the box I got was shipped from Theater in a Box, Inc.
(2014-06-03, 20:58)indigest Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-03, 17:47)sadboy Wrote: [ -> ]Well the cmyth pvr on FireTV worked out of the box for me since at least 13.0rc1 (on libstagefright). Playing 1080i Fios TV, no dropped frames or de-interlacing problems (don't really know how to look for that), actually no discernable visual differences between FireTV and my core-i7 desktop or xeon server. Or maybe it's just all the channels I watched are all super-low bitrate.

I'm on Comcast and using HD Homerun Prime with MythTV backend. My highest datarate stream is probably ESPN, coming in at around 15Mbps. Jerky playback is especially evident on this channel due to the presence of the scrolling ticker at the bottom. The lack of de-interlacing shows up as subtle horizontal lines.

You can view the video bitrate by plugging in a keyboard and typing 'o'. This will also show you any dropped or skipped frames as well as the buffering status. In my case, the drop number continually ramps up on high bitrate MPEG2 videos. I see the CPU usage on CPU0, CPU1, CPU2 vary between 50%-75%. Strangely, it seems to stay high even when paused.

Does my CPU usage seem normal to someone who has AFTV working with MPEG2? Maybe I got a bad device or some other setting/program is consuming my CPU.
I'm also on Comcast and using HD Homerun Prime. I am using XMBC RC1 connected by ethernet. I have both HW accelerations checked. I am running it two ways on my FTV. First way is with Windows 7 NextPvr (NPVR) backend and second method is direct from DLNA using the Prime. NPVR picture on FTV is fine but frequent channel changing seems to cause XBMC to close. NPVR when I scroll to record locks up the FTV and I must hardware restart it.

I found a XBMC RaspberryPi wiki on how to set HD Homerun Prime up without a backend using DLNA. Problem with DLNA is that it stops and breaks up occasionally. Most of the time the picture is fine.

I debated about using WMC backend. WMC is on the same W7 machine as my NPVR backend. The W7 with WMC and NPVR is connected to an first generation Sony 40" Google TV and I have key mapped the Google TV remote to work with the PrimeTime Google Guide and WMC, and do not want to break that with the WMC XBMC backend.

Any suggestions on making NPVR work better, or fixing the pause and pixelation using DLNA. I will have to try the 'o' with my Logitech K700 keyboard to see what is going on with CPU's and buffering.
(2014-06-04, 01:47)wunderdrug Wrote: [ -> ]Oh... you're not running RC1? That may explain some things. I think I saw somewhere that there were MPEG2 fixes that got merged late into RC1.

I was indeed running 13.1 RC1 Previous to trying that, I also tried 13.0 and SPMC 12.4.2. I read somewhere on the forums that someone else had success after doing a factory reset, so I'll give that a shot. I have fiddled with so many settings at this point that it's possible that I have accidentally enabled a non-default setting which is messing everything up.
(2014-06-04, 06:00)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to sideload another store? Like google play store?

Here is a list with sideloaded apps that work on the FTV

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2756608
Is it ok to delete xbmc cache using Fire Tv delete cache option, which is under the launch application setting.
(2014-06-03, 20:58)indigest Wrote: [ -> ]I'm on Comcast and using HD Homerun Prime with MythTV backend. My highest datarate stream is probably ESPN, coming in at around 15Mbps. Jerky playback is especially evident on this channel due to the presence of the scrolling ticker at the bottom. The lack of de-interlacing shows up as subtle horizontal lines.

That would be similar to my use case (Myth + HDHRP), and the jerky scroller would irritate me. However, I believe ESPN is 720p, so deinterlacing is not an issue. Maybe scaling? Try sports on CBS or NBC, or the ticker on CNN - they're 1080i.
I wasn't able to get the official 13.1 rc1 apk to run, it would go through the initial set up/prepare screen and then just stall out at a gray screen. So I tried out Koying's gotham build as I had tested out SPMC 12.4.2 before. This is working so far for me.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?8220-SPMC-Koying

I am using a mysql database for a shared collection, and copied over the advancedsettings.xml file to the FTV and had it pick up the library no problem. However the one issue I'm having on the FTV is that the the watched flag is not updating, nor is it picking up and resuming where videos have left off.

The advancedsettings.xml file does contain the proper videolibrary settings
<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
<importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
</videolibrary>

Anyone in a similar situation?

**For sake of completeness, I'm updating my comment - I updated to the official 13.1 build for Android and am no longer having any issues with the watched status of videos through the mysql database.
If I use keymap3 to reconfigure the ftv remote, and then want to go back to the original default configuration of the remote, how can I do that? Thanks