Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-07-09, 19:38)DaveNinja Wrote: [ -> ]I havent had a problem with the cache of thumbnails filling the internal memory. I assumed it just used the thumbnails and images from the folder of the tv show or movie, which would be located on a different computer (shared via NFS). Does xbmc copy the thumbnails into its own cache?

I was always under the impression that xbmc used up the internal memory of the aftv. When I had all of my movies and tv shows going through xbmc, after a while, I started getting memory full errors and I had to constantly clear the cache just to run it. The thumbnails are in the folders on my computer, but doesn't xbmc load that stuff up in the internal memory of the aftv to make it come up faster? I swear I read that somewhere, and I think that's what I experienced.

I think because Plex is more internet based, it doesn't load up the thumbnails and such the same way. All I know is that I haven't had any memory issues since switching things over to Plex. (I would still prefer xbmc, but it's not feasible if the memory is just going to fill up)
(2014-07-09, 17:37)putnam_press Wrote: [ -> ]I am about to pull the trigger on the FTV, just making sure that XBMC plays MKV files even though Amazon doesnt list it as a supported codec?

mkv is a container, not a codec. It can contain any codecs, so you can't answer that without running mediainfo or similar on the files.

The most common codec used with mkv is H.264 which will be fine.
If the mkv's contain HD MPEG-2 or VC-1 (ripped from BluRay) you could have issues.
SD resolution files would be fine with software decode.
(2014-07-09, 20:27)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]I was always under the impression that xbmc used up the internal memory of the aftv. When I had all of my movies and tv shows going through xbmc, after a while, I started getting memory full errors and I had to constantly clear the cache just to run it. The thumbnails are in the folders on my computer, but doesn't xbmc load that stuff up in the internal memory of the aftv to make it come up faster? I swear I read that somewhere, and I think that's what I experienced.

Yes, that's right. Typically local disks are several times faster than network disks, so all artwork is resized and cached locally on first use.
Then you get the faster access times. It can require a few gigs of local storage for a reasonable sized library.

You can force the thumbnail to be located on a network drive (with pathsubstitution), but you will lose some speed.
(2014-07-09, 20:43)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-09, 20:27)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]I was always under the impression that xbmc used up the internal memory of the aftv. When I had all of my movies and tv shows going through xbmc, after a while, I started getting memory full errors and I had to constantly clear the cache just to run it. The thumbnails are in the folders on my computer, but doesn't xbmc load that stuff up in the internal memory of the aftv to make it come up faster? I swear I read that somewhere, and I think that's what I experienced.

Yes, that's right. Typically local disks are several times faster than network disks, so all artwork is resized and cached locally on first use.
Then you get the faster access times. It can require a few gigs of local storage for a reasonable sized library.

You can force the thumbnail to be located on a network drive (with pathsubstitution), but you will lose some speed.

And since you can't connect a drive to the aftv directly to add storage space, what you mentioned is the only way to go?

I still don't understand why there aren't more people having memory issues. Unless they aren't streaming local stuff from their computers like I am.
is your library super big? do you have lots of other apps loaded on the Fire TV?
using StickMount, couldnt someone use a thumb drive connected to the Fire TV to store the cache data for xbmc?
(2014-07-09, 21:06)DaveNinja Wrote: [ -> ]is your library super big? do you have lots of other apps loaded on the Fire TV?
using StickMount, couldnt someone use a thumb drive connected to the Fire TV to store the cache data for xbmc?

I have maybe 3tb of videos. The only other apps are the ones that came pre loaded. I only have about 10 apps installed on xbmc right now as well. Would this stick mount work? I take it this would need to be side loaded like xbmc?
I recently made advancedsettings with pathsubstitution for the thumbnails and it gave me an extra gig of space. As popcornmix mentions you will be sacrificing speed and fluidity when browsing library. I'm hardwired and there is a considerable difference in loading up the fanart over smb. Wonder if I can gain a little speed with nfs.

I still had to go into thumbnail folder on aftv and delete everything afterward. I may have done something wrong, but thankfully I backed up before deleting as the pathsubstitution created the folders on my network drive, but did not actually move the files - most likely a lack of patience and didn't give it enough time. I just copy/pasted from backup and all is good.
(2014-07-09, 21:21)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-09, 21:06)DaveNinja Wrote: [ -> ]is your library super big? do you have lots of other apps loaded on the Fire TV?

I have maybe 3tb of videos. The only other apps are the ones that came pre loaded. I only have about 10 apps installed on xbmc right now as well. Would this stick mount work? I take it this would need to be side loaded like xbmpdc?

The amount of space that your files are taking up on your drive isn't really relevant, the number of files is because that is going to determine the size of your library data.

On mine with about 1500 videos it the "data" size for XBMC is about 1.70GB.

But yes, you will need to first root the AFTV, then sideload stickmount. Instructions can be found here: http://www.firetvnews.com/how-to-play-me...n-fire-tv/

My Ext HDD is formatted to Fat32 and I've created a folder on the root of the device called, "xbmcthumbnails". I've also used stickmount to mount the Ext HDD to the FTV(which needs root access).

How to change the location of where the thumbnail cache is saved, from the FireTV itself to an Ext USB HDD:

I've created my advancedsettings.xml, placed it in "Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/", and added the following:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
   <pathsubstitution>
      <substitute>
         <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
         <to>/storage/emulated/0/usbstorage/sda1/xbmcthumbnails/</to>
      </substitute>
   </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

Works perfect.
(2014-07-09, 21:42)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-09, 21:21)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]

I have maybe 3tb of videos. The only other apps are the ones that came pre loaded. I only have about 10 apps installed on xbmc right now as well. Would this stick mount work? I take it this would need to be side loaded like xbmpdc?

The amount of space that your files are taking up on your drive isn't really relevant, the number of files is because that is going to determine the size of your library data.

On mine with about 1500 videos it the "data" size for XBMC is about 1.70GB.

But yes, you will need to first root the AFTV, then sideload stickmount. Instructions can be found here: http://www.firetvnews.com/how-to-play-me...n-fire-tv/

There's always a danger in rooting a device though, isn't there? Plus, if you root, how can you get any updates to the device? You're pretty much stuck with the last update for the aftv, aren't you?
(2014-07-07, 21:09)jocala Wrote: [ -> ]http://jocala.com/adbfire.html

adbFire V1.0 changelog

Fix for OS X Fire TV root

Application home directory change: “adbFire”

Help file additions

LOVE that this app exists, thanks for your work jocala.

Do I need to install any other apps to root or its as simple as pushing the button?

I just ordered the box (here on Friday) and am worried that firmware version will be too high to root Undecided
(2014-07-09, 20:53)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-09, 20:43)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]

And since you can't connect a drive to the aftv directly to add storage space, what you mentioned is the only way to go?

I still don't understand why there aren't more people having memory issues. Unless they aren't streaming local stuff from their computers like I am.

FWIW, I was shocked when my Dad called me and said that he was getting messages that his Fire TV Memory was critically low. With only one app and XBMC installed, I couldn't understand how this could be the case.

Imagine my surprise when he told me that his XBMC app was reading 3.5 GB!

He didn't know what to do and simply did a reinstallation which solved the issue.

How could he have reduced his bloated memory without starting completely over?
(2014-07-09, 22:30)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]There's always a danger in rooting a device though, isn't there? Plus, if you root, how can you get any updates to the device? You're pretty much stuck with the last update for the aftv, aren't you?

Well, yes there is always some risk in rooting. However, I haven't heard of anyone yet bricking their AFTV by rooting and if it does happen there is a way to Unbrick it.

Yes, you can still get updates if you root as long as you don't block Amazon (everyone who rooted was still able to update to the latest release) and no you aren't "stuck" with the last update, but if you do update you may lose root if Amazon blocks rooting in newer updates..
(2014-07-09, 23:19)MaxieWagner Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-09, 20:53)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-09, 20:43)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, that's right. Typically local disks are several times faster than network disks, so all artwork is resized and cached locally on first use.

FWIW, I was shocked when my Dad called me and said that he was getting messages that his Fire TV Memory was critically low. With only one app and XBMC installed, I couldn't understand how this could be the case.

He didn't know what to do and simply did a reinstallation which solved the issue.

I'd just like to know if I'm doing something wrong. I was using xbmc to stream my videos from my PC (ethernet connection). I used the scrapers to get the info for movies and tv shows. Once I had gone through almost all of my shows and movies and made corrections, I started getting the memory errors. Did I do something wrong or is this just what happens in my case? Is the only way to get around this problem to root the device and set it up for external storage?
(2014-07-09, 23:29)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-09, 23:19)MaxieWagner Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-09, 20:53)schwang Wrote: [ -> ]And since you can't connect a drive to the aftv directly to add storage space, what you mentioned is the only way to go?

I'd just like to know if I'm doing something wrong. I was using xbmc to stream my videos from my PC (ethernet connection). I used the scrapers to get the info for movies and tv shows. Once I had gone through almost all of my shows and movies and made corrections, I started getting the memory errors. Did I do something wrong or is this just what happens in my case? Is the only way to get around this problem to root the device and set it up for external storage?

You don't need root to use the pathsubstitution described a few posted back. The thumbnails collected after scraping will fill it up pretty easily if you have a decent sized library.