Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With the whole installing thing, it would tell me not found as well even though I knew it was in the right space and typed correctly, but strangely after typing DIR and getting the folder contents it installed.
anyone having issues with video playback with the ouya build? I'm getting scrambled green bars at the top after like watching a movie for like ten mins...it goes away if i fast forward a bit...maybe one of my settings is off.

any input will be greatly appreciated!

TIA!!!!
(2014-04-06, 05:05)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-06, 04:57)thezoggy Wrote: [ -> ]anyone worked on a keymap file for the firetv remote? no stop button / cant do more info / home button on it takes you out to fire os / etc

The Keymap Editor addon in the official repo might be the easiest way to set one up, then we could share out the resulting file.
The only change I've made so far is mapping the Menu button to More Info.
Do you have any suggestions on what to map?

going off this:

I would think

2 = mute? clear? system info/stats?
5 = stop
6 = info

should we worry about lack of volume controls?
(2014-04-05, 20:34)HenryFord33 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-05, 19:25)Netix Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone could give me the package dimensions & weights so I could estimate the shipping cost to Canada with reship.com ?

What price did you come up with from reship.com to ship to PQ?

To Montreal.

US Postal Service

USPS First Class International
(Estimated upto 90 Days) $15.91

USPS Priority International
(Estimated 7 - 10 Business Days) $36.03

DHL

DHL Express Worldwide
(Estimated 2 - 5 Business Days) $31.80

UPS

UPS Standard
(Estimated 7 - 10 Business Days) $26.70

Fedex

FedEx International Economy
(Estimated 5 - 7 Business Days) $46.18

FedEx International Priority
(Estimated 2 - 5 Business Days) $52.82

The only thing is I've read bad review about reship.com so I'm not sure i'm gonna go through with it.

If anyone in the US would like to make some $$ with me, I will gladly pay someone on this forum before a shady company
(2014-04-05, 20:55)~Craig~ Wrote: [ -> ]So I have seen a few mentions regarding the USB port,
It is "live" for a keyboard, mouse etc but not USB thumb drives / hard drives at the moment correct? However Amazon are planning an update for this?

Could somebody do me a favor and try plugging in a standard 2.5" hard drive,
I know it cant be used but does the Fire provide enough power for it to be usable? i.e any light indicators flashing on the HDD?

Thanks

My drive seems to power up OK.
(2014-04-06, 03:59)thess Wrote: [ -> ]Quick "thess's Logitech harmony remote control obsession" update--thanks to an earlier poster I realized the Fire can be controlled via CEC, so once the CEC device link is up over HDMI, the tv itself can send commands to the box. That said, I can emulate everything BUT the "return" (back out) button on the Amazon remote, which is really crucial for xbmc. This is via a newer model Samsung smartv. I at least have a Stop button working now. Going to look into a key map addon that was mentioned earlier.

If you could use a keyboard with the FireTV, and the back function worked on that, why not program your Harmony Remote as a Microsoft Media Center keyboard?
(2014-04-06, 05:30)Netix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-05, 20:34)HenryFord33 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-05, 19:25)Netix Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone could give me the package dimensions & weights so I could estimate the shipping cost to Canada with reship.com ?

What price did you come up with from reship.com to ship to PQ?

To Montreal.

US Postal Service

USPS First Class International
(Estimated upto 90 Days) $15.91

USPS Priority International
(Estimated 7 - 10 Business Days) $36.03

DHL

DHL Express Worldwide
(Estimated 2 - 5 Business Days) $31.80

UPS

UPS Standard
(Estimated 7 - 10 Business Days) $26.70

Fedex

FedEx International Economy
(Estimated 5 - 7 Business Days) $46.18

FedEx International Priority
(Estimated 2 - 5 Business Days) $52.82

The only thing is I've read bad review about reship.com so I'm not sure i'm gonna go through with it.

If anyone in the US would like to make some $$ with me, I will gladly pay someone on this forum before a shady company

I own a business here in the us I'd be happy to ship to you. Msg me
(2014-04-06, 05:46)RGB_Gamer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-06, 03:59)thess Wrote: [ -> ]Quick "thess's Logitech harmony remote control obsession" update--thanks to an earlier poster I realized the Fire can be controlled via CEC, so once the CEC device link is up over HDMI, the tv itself can send commands to the box. That said, I can emulate everything BUT the "return" (back out) button on the Amazon remote, which is really crucial for xbmc. This is via a newer model Samsung smartv. I at least have a Stop button working now. Going to look into a key map addon that was mentioned earlier.

If you could use a keyboard with the FireTV, and the back function worked on that, why not program your Harmony Remote as a Microsoft Media Center keyboard?

My understanding is that the FireTV doesn't actually have an IR sensor, so the Harmony can't talk directly to it. Its own remote connects via Bluetooth (I believe). So, if you want the Harmony to work with the FireTV, you either need to find a backalley way to do it like thess did via CEC, or you need to hook up something like a flirc.
haikuginger I thought someone here already stated their flirc worked when plugged into the USB port
Thank you so much everyone I got it working under the User/Robert! five hours later ha........... and my smart remote works on it from my Samsung tv
Anyone plugged a kill-a-watt on the FireTV ? Would like to know the power consumption of that little box.

And, is there a way to watch live stream from a browser on the FireTV ? (For Hockey game Smile)
(2014-04-06, 06:03)Topken Wrote: [ -> ]haikuginger I thought someone here already stated their flirc worked when plugged into the USB port

That's great; I must have missed it. Regardless, if someone doesn't have a flirc, then the only way to get control with an IR remote like the Harmony is via CEC.
I even tried to get the Harmony software to spoof being a K400 Logitech and then connecting the k400 dongle. But whatever the dongle is expecting to receive, the smart hub emitter seemingly does not send. (The smart control hub will do Bluetooth and talk to, say, a ps3 I think, but I suspect it's different with a device that expects to pair.)

I may eventually get a flirc.
(2014-04-06, 05:24)thezoggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-06, 05:05)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-06, 04:57)thezoggy Wrote: [ -> ]anyone worked on a keymap file for the firetv remote? no stop button / cant do more info / home button on it takes you out to fire os / etc

The Keymap Editor addon in the official repo might be the easiest way to set one up, then we could share out the resulting file.
The only change I've made so far is mapping the Menu button to More Info.
Do you have any suggestions on what to map?

going off this:

I would think

5 = stop
6 = info

I am guessing 2 is for voice command, and may be hardwired to the voice hardware inside the remote?

5, is apparently hardwired to take you to the android/fireos main menu page.
6, I would make this Context, which IMHO is essential. And Info is available from Context. That is two button presses to get to Info, but better than no Context.

Stop is available from the OK button when playing, again more button presses than deisrable, but there are only so many buttons to play with.

Frankly I would probably put the remote back in the box and use another bluetooth remote, or flirc, or something else.
(2014-04-06, 05:24)thezoggy Wrote: [ -> ]going off this:

I would think

5 = stop
6 = info

My desired setup would be:
1. (not a button) Microphone
2. Ignore (it's tied directly into the Amazon search. Once rooted, hopefully this could be opened up to voice typing or something)
3. Up/Down/Left/Right, Short/Long Skips (during playback)
4. Select, Show OSD (during playback)
5. Ignore (it's tied in the Fire TV Home screen. Once rooted, hopefully could make it go to the XBMC home screen)
6. More Info, Show Codec Info (during playback)
7. Fast forward, Skip Track on Hold (can XBMC interpret button hold duration?)
8. Play/Pause
9. Back, Stop (during playback, that's how ATV2 did it, and I sort of liked that)
10. Rewind, Previous Track on Hold (can XBMC interpret button hold duration?)

For me, volume could be ignored as I'd rather change the volume on the TV/receiver itself, rather than XBMC.
Anyone have desired changes/additions for a keymap?