Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-04-03, 18:37)ilovemymac Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-03, 18:36)thess Wrote: [ -> ]Hey folks. I am a longtime XBMC user in fairly basic usage scenarios (PC based, and lately an AT2 jailbreak install that isn't working that great). I know basically zero about android or android devices, but I have a Fire TV in front of me now (I got overnight). Let me know if there are any basic questions I can answer.

Does it do Netflix in HD? As in do any titles have HD beside them?
Can you install Xbmc or any 3rd party aps

3rd Party apps can be installed for sure: https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html
It's probably not for the layman though. Probably only someone who is quite experienced with android would use this method.
Long-time XBMC user and Android person here. Getting my FireTV tomorrow (and the game controller... eventually) and will be happy to contribute where necessary.
My first impressions on reading the docs is that they've tried to keep it as close to standard Android where it's reasonable (like the rest of FireOS), and basic operation of XBMC will hopefully be a non-issue.

Between myself and those who overnighted and have theirs already, I'm sure we'll soon find out! Smile
A reviewer on amazon says that the netflix app shows the HD and superHD badge on titles when selected.
Heya, to answer a few questions (or not really), what would you guys consider to be proof that Netflix is playing back in HD? In my testcase I'm playing back via HDMI cable to a PC monitor (still at work) via WiFi. Ripper Street is labelled in the Netflix app on the Fire as "Super HD", but I don't see a way to get an 'info' type screen of what quality it thinks it's at during the playback. It started out pretty pixelated but is getting much better over time. That said, i don't typically watch video on this work monitor. It'll be easier for me to make a subjective call when I'm home on my real TV. I don't know if the fact that the Netflix app shows a "SUPER HD" label on the Fire proves anything.

Sideloading: I tried to approximate these steps:

http://www.howtogeek.com/178357/how-to-s...ndle-fire/

But it's not really applicable because there is no "Apps from Unknown Sources" toggle.

However, there is in Settings > System > Developer Options, an "ADB debugging switch" with a screen that says "Warning, This will allow anyone on your network to install applications from untrusted sources". I guess this ties into the Eclipse stuff mentioned above, which I will look into. I don't see a way to get into a more general android app store even after turning that on, though, so again the link above doesn't apply.
Thess, I think the steps to install XBMC onto the Fire TV are like this:
1. Install the Android SDK onto your computer. This contains the ADB tool. I think the starting point to download and install is here: https://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/index.html
2. Follow these instructions to connect ADB to your Amazon Fire TV: https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/connect-adb.html
3. Follow these instructions to install the XBMC app onto the Fire TV (using the ADB tool): https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html

You can download the XBMC APK file in the standard downloads area.

Hope this helps!
Let me know how Xbmc runs on here
I am now looking at XBMC's menu on my Fire TV. Smile

I followed the steps outlined on Amazon's pages (as per awp0's post as well): set up android dev enviroment including eclipse, JRe, configure eclipse as per amazon's instructions, connect to your fire, install xbmc apk via command line. (Sorry, my brain is a little shot this afternoon, but basically: if you follow all of Amazon's pages for 1) setting up a development environment, 2), setting up to talk to the Fire, you will be able to get APKs onto it.) I just now got it working so I haven't tested much yet. Like, anything. Although it did successfully update an add-on, so the network is clearly working.

Edit: Watching TMNT trailer from Apple Trailers addon. I don't have local HD content to test. Audio is working on the trailer, though, and quality looks good.
(2014-04-03, 20:35)thess Wrote: [ -> ]I am now looking at XBMC's menu on my Fire TV. Smile

I followed the steps outlined on Amazon's pages (as per awp0's post as well): set up android dev enviroment including eclipse, JRe, configure eclipse as per amazon's instructions, connect to your fire, install xbmc apk via command line. (Sorry, my brain is a little shot this afternoon, but basically: if you follow all of Amazon's pages for 1) setting up a development environment, 2), setting up to talk to the Fire, you will be able to get APKs onto it.) I just now got it working so I haven't tested much yet. Like, anything. Although it did successfully updated an add-on, so the network is clearly working.

Very nice, excited to hear more about how xbmc runs!
(2014-04-03, 18:54)bainsbonds Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-03, 18:37)ilovemymac Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-03, 18:36)thess Wrote: [ -> ]Hey folks. I am a longtime XBMC user in fairly basic usage scenarios (PC based, and lately an AT2 jailbreak install that isn't working that great). I know basically zero about android or android devices, but I have a Fire TV in front of me now (I got overnight). Let me know if there are any basic questions I can answer.

Does it do Netflix in HD? As in do any titles have HD beside them?

3rd Party apps can be installed for sure: https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html
It's probably not for the layman though. Probably only someone who is quite experienced with android would use this method.

(2014-04-03, 20:35)thess Wrote: [ -> ]I am now looking at XBMC's menu on my Fire TV. Smile

I followed the steps outlined on Amazon's pages (as per awp0's post as well): set up android dev enviroment including eclipse, JRe, configure eclipse as per amazon's instructions, connect to your fire, install xbmc apk via command line. (Sorry, my brain is a little shot this afternoon, but basically: if you follow all of Amazon's pages for 1) setting up a development environment, 2), setting up to talk to the Fire, you will be able to get APKs onto it.) I just now got it working so I haven't tested much yet. Like, anything. Although it did successfully updated an add-on, so the network is clearly working.

Very cool. I'll have mine later this evening and will "hopefully" have some time late tonight once everyone is in bed to play with it.
(Copied from an edit upthread): Watching TMNT trailer from Apple Trailers addon. I don't have local HD content to test. Audio is working on the trailer, though, and quality looks good.
I think I may be getting one of these then. Screw the Gbox. Thanks Thess
Any more updates on whether XBMC is running well on the Fire?
Any chance of making an easy to follow guide to ins xbmc for android newbies?
What the scrolling through menu speed like?
(2014-04-03, 20:41)MrMichaelJames Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-03, 18:54)bainsbonds Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-03, 18:37)ilovemymac Wrote: [ -> ]Does it do Netflix in HD? As in do any titles have HD beside them?

Very cool. I'll have mine later this evening and will "hopefully" have some time late tonight once everyone is in bed to play with it.

lol, sounds like the same time of night when I'm allowed to play around with my xbmc gagets......when everyone is in bed!

Curious to see how the remote performs and if keymappings in xbmc are somewhat accurate, as far as the back button and context menu button. This unit could be big if xbmc performs on a high level.
Yeah, once I get home I will be able to point it at all my content in various file formats. If the bf doesn't try to take it away.

Menu speed/remote responsiveness is fine. Very very snappy compared to my current install at home (admittedly on an ATV2). But I also don't have a library built yet on this install, I don't know if that might affect things.

I'm still trying to think of a good way to break it, but my brain really is fried today. I'll take suggestions in the short term for apps to install.