Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC with a core?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey!

Forgive me if in the wrong section, asked numerous times. But I'm having a hard time putting names to what this could be so I can't find it in search.

Plex has PMS. Runs on your "server" device with all your content. You have Plex clients that access the PMS and stream/transcode from it and watch your content.

You watch something, it updates PMS. SAB/SB download content into any of those folders in PMS source and PMS updates itself automatically and so all clients see it.

Is it even feasible for XBMC to even adopt the smallest aspect of this? I struggle to even begin understanding how to setup shared libraries for XBMC, and scars the crap out of me if a box lost itself if I couldn't rebuild a library! let alone achieve it with my server running windows 8.

If my server had all the details of watched/unmatched, details of my libraries stored. Wouldn't this mean one of my XBMC boxes could scan quicker and download the detail of my libraries to itself even quicker?

It's the only thing I feel XBMC lacks. Plex is handy for making dumb boxes or incapable boxes play any content and serve remote boxes. But I love the UI of XBMC.

Am I alone?
I think XBMC does what you need, it just does it differently.

My setup, for example:

1. All media on a centralised NAS/server (that can also run XBMC)
2. XBMC clients, both dedicated (OpenElec) and non-dedicated (Android 'phones/tablets, Windows laptops, and the XBMC application on my server if I wish)
3. Centralised mysql database on the server that holds artwork, metadata, watched status, file paths, etc.
4. PVR (tvheadend) also running on my server for live TV/recording purposes.

So: watch something on any client, it updates the database and everything else knows about it. Scan a new file in from any client, and - again - every client now knows about it, no scanning required.

For backups of the library, I can back up the database - or, just as easy, I export all my metadata (NFOs) and artwork with a couple of mouse clicks. Re-scanning the library then becomes trivial if I need to (which I don't unless I've done something major). These data are then backed up along with the media files themselves.

The only real difference here between this and how I understand Plex to work is that there isn't a centralised server application. Instead, it's more peer-to-peer: any of the XBMC instances can update the database, although I typically use the version on my server since it's sitting in front of my while I'm at work. So add any new media to the folders, scan it in and it's available for everything.

Search "headless" if you want to explore the world of GUI-less XBMC, but it's not something I've needed.

EDIT

Oh, and transcoding - XBMC doesn't do that - although I've only ever had the urge to do that to squeeze it over a WAN connection, and I shudder at how much I'd have to compress a BR rip to get it over a 512kb/s nominal upstream DSL line ...
It's not the transcoding I need. It's the centralised database that Plex does is what I think would be an easier solution than a shared library using MySQL. Done some more reading and even that's going to be scrapped in future XBMC releases with Improved UPnP.

Windows and MySQL databases aren't easy!
I've not really used UPnP - I tried it once and hated how it appeared in the sources of the clients - but I know it's had a major rework for Gotham, so maybe I'll look again at some point.

The difference is that client/server model in Plex versus the XBMC approach. There's endless debate about a headless XBMC, and I've lost track of whether it's possible or not - that'd effectively give a central db if UPnP can then share the paths, information and watched status, I suspect. Perhaps!
It's probably not advised but I can say the easiest way to share my watched status is to have the trakt.tv add-on installed on all machines. I then run an automatic sync at start up for each box and within 30 seconds the library watched status has been updated on all devices.
(2014-04-06, 17:24)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]It's not the transcoding I need. It's the centralised database that Plex does is what I think would be an easier solution than a shared library using MySQL. Done some more reading and even that's going to be scrapped in future XBMC releases with Improved UPnP.

UPnP acts as a central database.
You can use it if you like and I did for a time but it requires you to leave XBMC running on the "server" pc. There is setup instructions in the wiki. It does what you are asking for I just don't like leaving XBMC running on my server PC because when I run Windows Media Center, it screws up my Audio. when I'm gaming, it sometimes takes up more CPU cycles than I expect it to.

The way I set my XBMC up though is I use SMB of Windows instead. That's just hte basic file sharing function of Windows. It allows me to keep each box's watched status/unwatched status separate (whcih is good because if my sister is watching gossip girl, I don't need a watched status on my box), but allows me to centralize my library still on my server pc.

As for "automatically updating", just set your scan settings up on XBMC.
That's the point. I'd happily run a copy of XBMC on my server if it was the "manager" I only have 2 boxes running XBMC. But my lack of understanding how to setup a centralised MySQL database within windows means that they run separately.

If XBMC had a "manager" or similar. Something that centralised location of my shares, controlled my watched/unwatched statuses and managed my updates [i have autoupdate on startup on my boxes, I switch them both off when not in use.] then I wouldn't sweat it if I broke a box or wiped it as I'd know its a few clicks away from libraries/settings restored from the "manager" on the server.

One box to rule them all with fully customisable [like they are now] client boxes.

Or. Do I forfeit great UI for PleXBMC as that does what I suggest.
I don't think you read what I just said.

I'll try again.

Run XBMC on your server PC. Enable UPnP in XBMC
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=UPnP
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=UPnP/Server
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...using_UPnP

Read that, it explains exactly what you're trying to do since I dont think you're understanding what I'm trying to put down =D
Nice.

I had read what you said and was in the process of looking for a thread I'd read this afternoon about how using it this way meant you could only see the shares in FILES and not in movies or tv.

Or did you not have thst problem? I can leave it running on server as it's headless.
I didn't have this "problem" nor am I aware of it's existence. I don't think that person set it up correctly. If you set up UPnP correctly, you see your LIBRARY just as it is. It literally can be set up in under 5 minutes. Do it and you'll see it works just like a server/client setup.

The last link I posted,
Just follow those instructions. The other 2 links explain more details of how it works but just do that and you'll get what you want.
(2014-04-06, 19:55)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Nice.

I had read what you said and was in the process of looking for a thread I'd read this afternoon about how using it this way meant you could only see the shares in FILES and not in movies or tv.

Or did you not have thst problem? I can leave it running on server as it's headless.

Use a skin with Custom home items (wiki).

I use Amber and set up custom home items with UPnP in my house. For the most part you can't tell it's not a local DB.
(2014-04-06, 23:23)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-06, 19:55)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Nice.

Use a skin with Custom home items (wiki).

I use Amber and set up custom home items with UPnP in my house. For the most part you can't tell it's not a local DB.

Ya this is part of the reason I just went with SMB. I didn't like having to access the UPnP server each time to play the files off of that library. Custom Home Items does fix that issue though.

The thing with XBMC is you can do anything you want on it. You just have to have a general idea and plan of attack to execute the idea. Each time I think "I want to do this but I don't think I can." I've been able to figure out a way to get that idea to work.
All I'm trying to achieve is a main library controlled/maintained on my server so that regardless of what my boxes do. It's not a massive headache to put back.

Plus this way will give combined watched/unmatched? Right?
(2014-04-06, 19:23)tential Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-06, 17:24)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]It's not the transcoding I need. It's the centralised database that Plex does is what I think would be an easier solution than a shared library using MySQL. Done some more reading and even that's going to be scrapped in future XBMC releases with Improved UPnP.

UPnP acts as a central database.
You can use it if you like and I did for a time but it requires you to leave XBMC running on the "server" pc. There is setup instructions in the wiki. It does what you are asking for I just don't like leaving XBMC running on my server PC because when I run Windows Media Center, it screws up my Audio. when I'm gaming, it sometimes takes up more CPU cycles than I expect it to.

The way I set my XBMC up though is I use SMB of Windows instead. That's just hte basic file sharing function of Windows. It allows me to keep each box's watched status/unwatched status separate (whcih is good because if my sister is watching gossip girl, I don't need a watched status on my box), but allows me to centralize my library still on my server pc.

As for "automatically updating", just set your scan settings up on XBMC.

(2014-04-06, 19:37)tential Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think you read what I just said.

I'll try again.

Run XBMC on your server PC. Enable UPnP in XBMC
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=UPnP
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=UPnP/Server

Read that, it explains exactly what you're trying to do since I dont think you're understanding what I'm trying to put down =D

(2014-04-06, 22:48)tential Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't have this "problem" nor am I aware of it's existence. I don't think that person set it up correctly. If you set up UPnP correctly, you see your LIBRARY just as it is. It literally can be set up in under 5 minutes. Do it and you'll see it works just like a server/client setup.

The last link I posted,
Just follow those instructions. The other 2 links explain more details of how it works but just do that and you'll get what you want.

(2014-04-08, 11:44)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]All I'm trying to achieve is a main library controlled/maintained on my server so that regardless of what my boxes do. It's not a massive headache to put back.

Plus this way will give combined watched/unmatched? Right?

MySQL works well. What is complex about this?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ab=Windows
Pages: 1 2