Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Music metadata
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any program that will look at my music files and set the properties correctly so that when XBMC indexes my music it puts the music in correct groups like artist, year, album, etc? I was looking at the properties of each file in one of my Top 100 folders and most all of them only had the title correct, no album association, and the artist was sporadic at best. I was just hoping there was something that would fill in the properties. Not sure if anything exists but figured the experts here would know best. Thanks.
l'm also very interested in this, some of my music have the same album listed 2 or 3 times with the songs separated across 3 of the same album.

so it appears the songs aren't getting the correct info to pair all songs into a single album. Please help
There's lots of programs for doing this, unfortunately none of them are infallible and most of them require you to do a lot of work on your own.

You might try MusicBrainz Picard, it can probably at least get you a good ways towards cleaning up your entire music collection:

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard
I used that program. My question was more what directory structure and file format do I have to store the data in because MusicBranze keeps doing a search for each song with the title "Music" (the name of the directory). So I have to wind up retyping in the song name, wait for a list of songs, find the one with the correct artist, search through those to find one with the album cover, then pick it. So I got so tired of the crap that I just wikipedia'd every single song and hand-jammed all the data into the property fields of each song. Took me about 6 hours to do the first 500 songs. Now I have the "Billboard Top 100" folders from 1980 to 2013! Those have names and artists but no album titles.
I use iTunes.....dump music in "iTunes Media">>Automatically Add to iTunes.....From within iTunes, click the album>>Get Info>>Ensure the artist, song title, album artist and album name are the same for each tag category in each album. Have XBMC index the iTunes Media>>Music folder.

This gets it right the majority of the time with a few exceptions. Choosing an album that is miscategorized and selecting "Album Information" in XBMC fixed the odd few that didn't get indexed under the same artist. I can't get rid of the multiple entries where "Macklemore & Ryan Lewis" are the artist on two albums, while "Macklemore" and "Ryan Lewis" also have separate entries for the same albums. This is a minor problem, though, as the main group has all of the albums under its name.
Thanks for the tip Warner306. I'll give that a try. I still have 3 decades of Billboard Top 100 to index!
There are a ton of ways to go - most require a lot of manual labor. I suggest starting with cleaning up formatting of track numbers, title, artist in file names. If you do this, you have the basics and can let tag software do most of the work.

Cleaning up formatting of artists names, dual artists on single track etc - is manual labor. Suggest putting "Feat. Celine dion & Shakira" in the track title instead.

Important things to consider with "mixed albums" are Year, Genre, Track numbers, Disc numbers, Ambum Artist and Album name.

Year: If you have a mix album, where tons of songs have multiple different "year" tags - your album will be split by year. Set same year on all.
Genre: Same as above. Suggest setting this to "Pop" or other, more appropriate for the album - on all files in album.
Track numbers: If Make sure no 2 files have the same track number. If the album is distributed ober several discs - make sure "disc" labels are correct for all files in album.
Album name: Give all songs in album, same album name. "Billboard Top 100 2003" works fine. If you want to keep the origin album for a song, but it in the Comment field.
Album artist: This is where the magic happens. Set to "Various artists", "Various Pop" etc - same for all files in album.

In settings -> Music --> Library, up top: "Include artists who appear only on compilations". Untick this, and all those artists of whom you have no full albums, and only appear in these compilation albums - these will not show in the "View by artist" GUI.