Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I feel like I've been checking these out for weeks and am clueless.

I want to open a box, plug it in, and have XBMC work without issues.

I ONLY want to use XBMC. I assume OpenElec is the best way to ensure that happens.

How easy is it for me to get one of these setup? I'm so frustrated with my junk Ouya that I need to remedy this. I don't understand why anyone would want to use Android for XBMC, unless you like resetting your movie every 15 minutes.

Every box I ever go to buy is sold out regardless, but I don't know which way to go. NUC or Chromebox. I just want ease, simple setup, no messing around with code, and the ability to have a physical remote (I assume bluetooth or similar, since IR can be blocked..thought most on the forum seem to require IR for some reason).

Will I need to update codecs or something? I keep reading I need different BIOs updates..... all....so frustrating.

Any input here would be most helpful. My brains hurt so bad, and I need this fixed quickly. Sad
2 weeks ago I bought a nuc ( DC3217IYE) and I was disappointed with how easy it was to setup with openelec 15 min from opening the box to running xbmc (I had the USB with openelec installer ready). I am used to playing around installing custom ROMs etc to get a decent xbmc experience. It was that easy I am planning to replace all my android boxes with nuc's.
You should pay someone to set the HTPC for you then... no headaches.
I almost did buy a built NUC. I've just spent every night and day of work researching. I'm obsessed. I'll probably just dive into a NUC. I liked Intel 2820, because it already had all the little extra parts, but they're sold out for life and the reviews aren't the greatest. That's why I thought Chromebox, but Openelec doesn't work yet? That thing is already built, but I don't want chrome to be like android where it isn't completely compatible.

Ideas? I'll research the above NUC.... MAYBE I'll just buy both.
Any thoughts on this? Shld. I get it or not...thinking of upgrading my old acer revo r3600 to this one...thanks...any suggestions..would be great..especially running xbmc...

http://m.morecomputers.com/prod.aspx?pn=...YyNzg4MTgw
Really depends on your needs... for my usage it's perfect.

Plays everything I need just fine including 1080p mkv.
It's very fast with Confluence and Aeon Nox 5.
Boots in 20 sec to Openelec.
Suspends in 3-4 sec, wake in 1-2 sec.
Power off/on with remote.
Very low power usage.
Comes with a IR receiver that works with RC6 protocol remotes.
Almost silent on stock fan speed (40%), can be turned totally off (0%).

There's a really long thread about the DN2820FYKH here on xbmc.org take a look.
(2014-04-16, 16:16)xbs08 Wrote: [ -> ]Really depends on your needs... for my usage it's perfect.

Plays everything I need just fine including 1080p mkv.
It's very fast with Confluence and Aeon Nox 5.
Boots in 20 sec to Openelec.
Suspends in 3-4 sec, wake in 1-2 sec.
Power off/on with remote.
Very low power usage.
Comes with a IR receiver that works with RC6 protocol remotes.
Almost silent on stock fan speed (40%), can be turned totally off (0%).

There's a really long thread about the DN2820FYKH here on xbmc.org take a look.

So do u have this unit then..?what do u use it for ?mainly openelec or windows as well..?thanks..
Mostly HD Movies/TV Shows, some occasional Live TV and Web Radio.
Only OpenELEC.
(2014-04-16, 18:29)xbs08 Wrote: [ -> ]Mostly HD Movies/TV Shows, some occasional Live TV and Web Radio.
Only OpenELEC.

Ok thanks..any links for DDR3L ram.. for this.i think it uses a low power ram.....4 gb maybe will do..cheapest..ssd maybe..as well that you bought it from?
The store you posted has everything you need... ram and ssd.
The 2820 looks good. Nobody has them..or has forever.
Was why I was thinking Chromebox, which are also out of stock. I don't see many defined reviews of how well those work.
Lots of good info here. I'd be happy with anything at this point.
Post #6 has them.
No. The 2820 is still out of stock. The world sucked them up and isn't letting them loose.

I'm dipping my toes in 1st with the Chromebox. If it doesn't work, I'm going a higher end NUC. Start at $200. If not, I'll jump for the $500 :\ I just don't WANT to buy ram and ss and wifi and then have it not do what I wanted. I hope cheap works this time......

That said, do we know if there are remote restrictions? I Keep seeing so many pros and cons. I was hoping I would have just been able to program the Chromebox with my phone, but I have no clue if it will auto sync. For some reason, I have no keyboard, so I got a little wireless one.

THIS REMOTE seems simple and built for XBMC.

I want something that will work great for my wife as well. Easy is best. We're using our disaster of an OUYA controller now to use XBMC, so anything is an upgrade. I keep seeing Flirc to sync remotes, but the Chromecast has wifi and bluetooth. If I need IR, I suppose that would be alright. I just want something that will actually sync up with the device.

Ideas/suggestions?
(2014-04-16, 16:06)warlock09 Wrote: [ -> ]Any thoughts on this? Shld. I get it or not...thinking of upgrading my old acer revo r3600 to this one...thanks...any suggestions..would be great..especially running xbmc...

http://m.morecomputers.com/prod.aspx?pn=...YyNzg4MTgw

That link is not working for me, from where is that online shop? US? I'm in south america and looking for that box.
I already purchased the chromobox but hasn't arrive yet, I want to compare both and keep one.

Thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13