Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VDR on server + HTPC with XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Could you tell me if is any possibility to install VDR only on my server and connect aby PC at home using xbmc? If it is possible can somebody tell me how to deal with that?
I have server on Debian.
Yes it's posible.

sudo apt-get install vdr is a good startd but google is your frend.

Use the vnsi to connect xbmc to vdr.
I am searching in google all the time but I can not find clear info. I still do not know where are stored configuration files after using sudo apt-get install vdr. I am also beginner in linux.

In conclusion:
First I have to install vdr using command above.
Next should I install vnsi?
Could you also tell me what is XVDR?

I am base on http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=VDR/Installation but I do not know if it is 100% correct in my case.
The problem is that I can no imagine where files are stored after installation of vdr.

Google is a search engine, I thought that I can find friends on this forum. :-)
One problem with Vdr is that most of its web based docos are in German, which I for one can't read. For that reason I stuck with mythtv.

However the xbmc wiki seems to have good info http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR...stallation for example.
AFAIK vnsiserver is packaged for debian jessie/sid: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-...;a=summary

Means you can install with apt-get install vdr-plugin-vnsiserver. I think this version is for XBMC 13.0 Beta, don't use 12.x

It depends on the package configuration where vdr stores the config files. I compile vdr myself, see stick threads.

Once you have the sever plugin running you can connect the vnsi addon to <vdr host>:34890. You have to allow you XBMC machine in allowd_hosts.conf which is located in <vdr config files>/plugins/vnsiserver/allowed_hosts.conf or <vdr config files>/plugins/vnsiserver5/allowed_hosts.conf depending on the version you got.
Comand apt-get install vdr-plugin-vnsiserver doesn't work.
I would like to instal vdr server on machine where XBMC is not installed.
absolutely no problem and this is what this debian request was subject to: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor...bug=743619
(which is already fixed)
Since you have not provided more information, not even the version of debian you use, you can't expect more help.
I have debian-7.1.0-i386-netinst wheezy
Debian GNU/Linux 7.3 (wheezy)
wheezy is stone age. if you want to keep this historical OS, you have to compile vdr and vnsi server plugin yourself: see sticky threads.
So which version will be better? Maybe I should install ubuntu? But first I am going to test to compile it by myself. Is it enough to do all steps from sticky thread? I can install linux once again, better distribution maybe Sqeeze? What you can recomend, without X only for server. On debian website I have only versions 7

I see on debian website that my version is one of the newest. So you are not right. Last version 7.4 wheezy is from 08.02.2014

https://www.debian.org/CD/index.en.html
It certainly seems that VDR is well packaged for Ubuntu, so it might be easier. If you want no GUI, start with server edition.
yavdr is a god dist for vdr.
xvdr is a plugin for connecting vdr to xbmc jist like vnsi.

At the moment I think vnsi is the best one.

Lets say you try yavdr and whant to use vnsi ju do this.

# sudo stop vdr
# sudo apt-get install git
# sudo apt-get install vdr-dev
# sudo apt-get install nano
# git clone git://github.com/FernetMenta/vdr-plugin-vnsiserver
# cd vdr-plugin-vnsiserver
# make
# sudo make install
# sudo start vdr
# sudo stop vdr
# sudo nano /var/lib/vdr/plugins/vnsiserver/allowed_hosts.conf

Paste this in the allowed_host.conf (you may ned to change the ip adress)

#################################################################################
# #
# The following configuration file is generated automatically by the yaVDR #
# system. Don't change this file as every update of yaVDR will overwrite #
# the local changes. Instead put your required customizations #
# into /etc/yavdr/templates_custom/ based on the original templates #
# under /usr/share/yavdr/templates. #
# #
# http://www.yavdr.org/developer-zone/template-overview/ #
# #
# #
#################################################################################
#
# svdrphosts This file describes a number of host addresses that
# are allowed to connect to the SVDRP port of the Video
# Disk Recorder (VDR) running on this system.
# Syntax:
#
# IP-Address[/Netmask]
#
127.0.0.1 # always accept localhost
192.168.2.0/24 # any host on the local net
#204.152.189.113 # a specific host
#0.0.0.0/0 # any host on any net (USE THIS WITH CARE!)

and the the final start of vdr

# sudo start vdr
(2014-04-18, 21:59)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]wheezy is stone age. if you want to keep this historical OS, you have to compile vdr and vnsi server plugin yourself: see sticky threads.

Wheezy is the current stable version of Debian. While it's not new it's certainly not stone age either.

@amiga500: if you're comfortable with Debian then go ahead and compile the software you need, it's definitely less work than reinstalling the whole OS.
(2014-04-19, 18:47)negge Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-18, 21:59)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]wheezy is stone age. if you want to keep this historical OS, you have to compile vdr and vnsi server plugin yourself: see sticky threads.

Wheezy is the current stable version of Debian. While it's not new it's certainly not stone age either.

@amiga500: if you're comfortable with Debian then go ahead and compile the software you need, it's definitely less work than reinstalling the whole OS.

Multimedia is a fast moving domain. Wheezy may be ok as a desktop system because kernel and lots of other packages are rather old version. This is what I meant. In other sections of the forum you see that many systems require kernel 3.14 for proper operation. IMO it is silly to use Wheezy for XBMC.
I have decided to install UBUNTU server but when I try to do it i receive message "enable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate to your cpu" I tested it on a few different version and also for Ubuntu desktop, still the same and no more ideas how to solve it. I try to install it on Terminal Hp t5710 800Mhz.
Pages: 1 2