Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: RASPOKU - Coming soon to the Home Theater of my dreams?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I can't have been the only one who noticed this recent announcement by the Raspberry Pi Foundation:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-...w-product/

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to envision at least one of the numerous kinds of new things this new product will make possible. If someone were to build a little motherboard around this thing... perhaps with built-in WiFi... or maybe not... a power-in socket, a HDMI-out port/socket, one or more USB ports, and a cute square black plastic box to put it in, then you'd basically have have a Roku3. (Oops! I almost forgot... And of course, a built IR receiver, naturally.)

So anyway, who is working on this, or going to be working on this? Somebody? Anybody?

P.S. My personal opinion is that the optimal design of such a thing... for maximum utility to the maximum number of end users with the lowest average cost... would have it contain (of course) the little round power socket... with external power wall-wart, just like a Roku... HDMI-out, and then *nothing* else except three (3) powered USB ports. This way, if somebody needs or wants to go hardwired, they purchase a USB-to-twistedpair dongle, but if they need or want to go wireless, they they instead buy a USB WiFi adapter of their choosing. The other two USB ports would be for (1) mass storage and (2) a wireless keyboard (bluetooth?) dongle.
This looks better just using a standard Pi.

http://nwazet.com/nwazet-pi-tuxedo-case

Look at the accessories for it. The IR receiver is spot on.
Wow very cool.
(2014-04-20, 14:42)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]This looks better just using a standard Pi.

Yea, I saw that case (for the first time) just the other day. It's definitely interesting, and it is definitely progressing in the general direction I've talked about. But with the new Raspberry Pi compute module (and a customized motherboard, along the lines I've suggested) I think that it should be possible to get even a lot closer to a really ideal Raspberry-based media player box... something that looks like a Roku3, but with at least two external USB ports, and preferably three (but only two if WiFi is integrated onto the motherboard).

And, um, while we are on the subject, let me just mention that for myself, I've decided that what I really want is a Raspberry Pi case that will look almost exactly like a modern (thin) Blu-Ray player, i.e. matte black and exactly 17 inches wide. Why would I want such a honking big case for such a small board? Because I want to put both a Pi and also a 2.5" drive in the case, and then put the whole thing into my stereo cabinet along with all my other components. To this end, I am currently scrounging in my local area for a busted Blu-Ray player that somebody is throwing away. I hope to hollow it out and put a Pi, a power supply, and a laptop drive in the case. (Has anybody else ever done this?)

P.S. It is stunning to me that, try as I might, I have been unable to find online any such thing as a 17" wide "project case". As far as I can tell, no such thing exists, although I'd love to be proven wrong.
I was kind of hoping this year they would announce a new model with more power, but this is a decent move..
(2014-04-20, 21:58)ronbaby Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-20, 14:42)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]This looks better just using a standard Pi.

Yea, I saw that case (for the first time) just the other day. It's definitely interesting, and it is definitely progressing in the general direction I've talked about. But with the new Raspberry Pi compute module (and a customized motherboard, along the lines I've suggested) I think that it should be possible to get even a lot closer to a really ideal Raspberry-based media player box... something that looks like a Roku3, but with at least two external USB ports, and preferably three (but only two if WiFi is integrated onto the motherboard).

And, um, while we are on the subject, let me just mention that for myself, I've decided that what I really want is a Raspberry Pi case that will look almost exactly like a modern (thin) Blu-Ray player, i.e. matte black and exactly 17 inches wide. Why would I want such a honking big case for such a small board? Because I want to put both a Pi and also a 2.5" drive in the case, and then put the whole thing into my stereo cabinet along with all my other components. To this end, I am currently scrounging in my local area for a busted Blu-Ray player that somebody is throwing away. I hope to hollow it out and put a Pi, a power supply, and a laptop drive in the case. (Has anybody else ever done this?)

P.S. It is stunning to me that, try as I might, I have been unable to find online any such thing as a 17" wide "project case". As far as I can tell, no such thing exists, although I'd love to be proven wrong.

You just described an x86 pc in a media case. Dont know why you would power all that with a pi, but you could just modify this case with a few extra screws throw a PI, power strip, hub, usb hdd ect.. and be done.
Umm I have a raspberry pi compute board attached to a PCB with 2 USB ports, power socket, HDMI, Ethernet. Its called a raspberry pi.

The blu-ray player idea is nice. Take a look at mini-itx.com for ideas. If you can fit a mini-itx in you can fit an rpi.
That nwazet case is nice but quite expensive once you add in their power supply and their remote board.

Would be nice to see a version that accommodated the hifiberry dac too
seriously guys?

Lets break it down
Pi $35 (not $25)
SDHC card $10
Micro USB charger $10
Case $10
Remote $20
HDMI cable $5
maybe a Wifi adapter $10

we've reached $90 and most of the stuff I got the figures of the top of my head. But wont be of to much (or even more) . NINETY DOLLARS for a Raspberry Pi!!

just buy a FTV. or put in abit more and get yourself a NUC. Either of these options are way better looking and will give you 100 fold better experience than a Pi.

If you still set on the Pi. Cubox i, will soon take over this and you can get a dual core for $69 plus shipping. just get an x86 machine (NUC) and your set for a few years. Buy the Pi and your behind a few years
(2014-04-21, 01:28)MediaPi Wrote: [ -> ]seriously guys?

This thread is for discussing new Pi hardware. Pi haters will now be asked to exit. Thank you and have a good day.
I have made a paper case for one of my Pi's does that count as $10?
What about my other lego case?
Check out the showcase section. Someone has put a pi in am enclosure with power and hdd inside. Even has a custom case with neon lighting. He made the case using a 3d printer. Looks pretty neat.
I've created some custom panels online with these guys: http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ but you can also create enclosures too. Once you get over the small learning curve of the software, it wouldn't be all that difficult to make your own custom enclosure.
(2014-04-21, 08:13)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]

This thread is for discussing new Pi hardware. Pi haters will now be asked to exit. Thank you and have a good day.

Lol, I love how he has "Pi" in his username. Queue Alanis Morissette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9yUVgrmPY
(2014-04-21, 17:31)Nu7s Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-21, 08:13)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]

Lol, I love how he has "Pi" in his username. Queue Alanis Morissette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9yUVgrmPY

Hurrah!

I've been waiting all day for someone to point that out! I've already posted my troll limit this Easter! Cool
Pages: 1 2 3