Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Script to turn on/off hyperion gives error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I used to use raspbmc with hyperion and the following script to enable/disable hyperion with my usb remote:

Code:
import subprocess

hyperionStatus = subprocess.Popen(["/sbin/initctl", "status", "hyperion"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0]
print "Current status: ", hyperionStatus

if ('running' in hyperionStatus):
        hyperionStatus = subprocess.Popen(["/sbin/initctl", "stop", "hyperion"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0]
else:
        hyperionStatus = subprocess.Popen(["/sbin/initctl", "start", "hyperion"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0]
print "New status: ", hyperionStatus

Now im using Openelec and installed hyperion, which works, but the script gives me back an error. I checked the log and this is what it shows:

Code:
20:44:08 T:2732581984   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.OSError'>
                                            Error Contents: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/storage/startstophyperion.py", line 3, in <module>
                                                hyperionStatus = subprocess.Popen(["/sbin/initctl", "status", "hyperion"], stdout=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0]
                                              File "./Lib/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
                                              File "./Lib/subprocess.py", line 1249, in _execute_child
                                            OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

Now it seems that it can find a file and from the script is probably initctl and i have searched for that file/directory so i could change the path on the script but i can't find it =/

Anyone knows how to fix this error or what change can i try to make on the script to make this work?

Thank you![/quote]
OpenELEC doesn't use /sbin/initctl (it uses systemd).

Also, because of the read-only file system used by OpenELEC, hyperion has to install it's own startup script in /storage/hyperion/bin/hyperiond.sh which is (normally) called from /storage/.config/autostart.sh.

Not sure if you've followed this procedure, but it appears that in OpenELEC there is no concept of stopping/starting Hyperion - it's always started from the very outset. Maybe you can implement you're own method of stopping/starting Hyperion, that looks straight forward enough.
Thank you for the reply and explanation! Smile
I followed the instructions on the hyperion github page and it was basicly just a command that does all the work.
I will look into having a way to start-stop hyperion, and also to control the lights because the app doesn't seem to be working with openelec =/ I dont really know about code/scripts ( unfortunately), but if i end up finding a solution i will share it here to anyone that might need it also Smile
# Milhouse
Hallo, thx for all your support and help in this forum !

I am trying to get the guide to work in order to turn on/off Hyperion on Openelec:
how-to-enabledisable-hyperion-on-openelec-with-remote

Maybe you can help looking/debug this guide ?

I am currently using the latest build #0427 : RPI2

I have followed the guide and have also changed the path from:
<blue>XBMC.System.Exec("/storage/hyperion/hyperionswitch.sh")/blue> to
<blue>XBMC.System.Exec("/storage/hyperion/hyperionswitch.sh")</blue>
but it does not work for me

do you have any suggestions ?
I am trying to upload the log file but i have a problem with the file. I will upload asap.

I am so happy for using your builds of Openelec hence it would be great if we could use this feature

All regards
F
I know this thread is months old, but since I was looking for this solution and then rolled my own, I figured I'd post it here in case others searched and ended up here as I did.
On OpenELEC, place the following python script (which I'll call 'hyperion_switch.py' below) somewhere that Kodi can access it:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
#

import os
import sys
import subprocess
import xbmc

PARAMETER = str(sys.argv[1]).lower()
# xbmc.log('### hyperion_switcher arg=|%s|' % PARAMETER)

if PARAMETER == 'on':
    try:
        op = subprocess.check_output(['/storage/hyperion/bin/hyperiond.sh /storage/.config/hyperion.config.json </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 &'], shell=True)
    except subprocess.CalledProcessError as e:
        xbmc.log('### Hyperion ON Exception: %s' % e.output)
    except Exception as e:
        xbmc.log('### Hyperion ON Exception: %s' % e.message)
    else:
        xbmc.log('### Hyperion ON: %s'% op)
elif PARAMETER == 'off':
    try:
        op = subprocess.check_output(['killall hyperiond'], shell=True)
    except subprocess.CalledProcessError as e:
        xbmc.log('### Hyperion OFF Exception: %s' % e.output)
    except Exception as e:
        xbmc.log('### Hyperion OFF Exception: %s' % e.message)
    else:
        xbmc.log('### Hyperion OFF: %s' % op)

Then place the following or something similar in a file called keyboard.xml in /storage/.kodi/userdata/keymaps (replace $PATH_TO_SCRIPT with the path that you placed the .py file in above):
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
        <a mod="alt,ctrl"> XBMC.RunScript (/storage/.kodi/addons/$PATH_TO_SCRIPT/hyperion_switch.py, ON) </a>
        <b mod="alt,ctrl"> XBMC.RunScript (/storage/.kodi/addons/$PATH_TO_SCRIPT/hyperion_switch.py, OFF) </b>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

Here, I am using alt-ctrl-a and alt-ctrl-b but you can use whatever keypresses you want (refer to the wiki: Keymap (wiki))
I guess this way is more simple ...

Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ `ps -a hyperion | grep hyperiond | wc -l` = 3 ]
then
    killall hyperiond
else
    /storage/hyperion/bin/hyperiond.sh /storage/.config/hyperion.config.json
fi