Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New build feedback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to build my first HTPC. The plan is for this guy to host and serve up all the content in the house. It will be serving two others rooms apart from itself. All rooms could be in use at the same time serving up HD content. I also plan to add a ASTC network tuner for live TV and PVR. One room is using an old boxee box i have XBMC running on the other is in a room with my gaming PC. All systems are connected via gigabit wired connections.

This HTPC will also need to host the mySQL database so the library is shared to the other rooms.

Im not sure if this box is too powerful or not powerful enough. Anyone in a similar position let me know what needs to be tweaked.

Parts List
My setup is going to be almost the same.
This is my case http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc7000b.htm
I picked this case for the depth at 12.7", and the height at 5.47", any other case from nmedia or silverstone wouldn't fit under my tv.
Besides the case i am undecided how to approach this. I know i want to use a ssd to run windows 8, or 7, with two 3.5" 3 TB hd's. It has to stream 1080p. I'd like it run any xbmc skin and video add-on flawlessly or to the best of.
Now from what I've read through forums is you don't need much of a motherboard or cpu to achieve this. But if you want to use the htpc for gaming it's a whole other story.
I'm fairly new to xbmc and have never built a pc before but in two weeks i should have my build finished or close lol. My case arrives next friday.
You're partslist prices seem awesome. Is that psu big enough could someone else answer? Did you forget the operation system or do you already have one? Dont forget shipping costs and taxes.
I hope your build goes well and others can help more.
i already have a gaming PC that can handle every game out there. this HTPC will be solely for media streaming. I wanted to make sure it was beefy enough to serve all the devices in my house simultaneously. That is why i posted the build to see if someone with experience streaming to multiple devices in HD at the same time had a similar build.

That case looks pretty sweet. I didn't think to measure my space under the TV but i figure if it can handle an xbox 360 with plenty of room above and depth wise it shouldn't have an issue.

Power wise Ive read the haswell doesn't draw much power and Ive seen other builds using that PSU.

I already have a windows 7 pro retail lic i am going to use from my laptop which i no longer use. ill just put linux on the laptop to play with.
That case was designed for media centers. If you have what I call a "standard size" (meaning not a compact or slim unit) receiver, it'll will be the same size. Mine is exactly the same dimensions as my Onkyo receiver. Just do your self a favor and plan your wire management before you build. If you throw all the parts in first then try to clean up the wires you'll have one Hell of a time. Those shallow cases don't leave you a lot of wiggle room once everything is in it. I have the GD06 version. Basically the same internally except you won't have the hot swap bays to deal with.
@LazerBlue can i ask what cpu, motherboard and psu u used. Also would the original posters parts list be sufficient or overboard considering the use of sql and the tuner card.
Additionally how good is the i5 at light gaming or would there be a better cpu i could choose for around the same price.
I am using a Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H motherboard and an AMD A10-5800K cpu. The power supply I bought is an Ultra LS450 because I knew the dimensions would allow to fit inside the case with an optical drive(and it barely does). I wouldn't recommend my build to anyone though as I am the extreme case where mine was built for anything I ever wanted to do (and I have tried pushing to limits).
I'm not an Intel guy so I can't comment on the OP built list.