Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Override the stock background in all sections?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anybody know how to do this? Of course I assigned my custom backgrounds to the homescreen, gave 'videos' a static image to serve as a fallback image for movies/tv shows, but I still get to see a lot of this astronaut (is it from 'Gravity?)

For instance in musiclibrary, when artists don't have any fanart, there it is. When I press 'S' on the homescreen, there it is. When using music file mode (my radio stations are .pls files), there it is.

I can totally live with how much less customization options Nox 5 has, opposed to Nox 4, but having my own backgrounds everywhere is a little something I'd like to have. Makes the whole thing more personal.

So how do I override this background and make the skin use all of my custom homescreen backgrounds uniformly across all sections? (if at all possible?)

TIA
I believe that is somewhere in the IncludeBackgroundBuildings.xml file. I will look at the code tomorrow if you cant figure it out.
Replace the default_bg.jpg in the backgrounds folder.
(2014-05-10, 20:22)BigNoid Wrote: [ -> ]Replace the default_bg.jpg in the backgrounds folder.
That would indeed get rid of the standard image, but what I really want is to have all (sub)sections to consistently adhere to the multi image folder I have assigned it, not just the home screen. (which is how it acts now) [EDIT: My first post didn't make this very clear, I realize. Sorry.]

Movie and tv show libraries can be fooled by assigning an image path to the 'video' section. This then acts as a fallback for both movies and tv shows (not using fanart, too cluttered for me). But for music I can't find such a workaround.

However, my ideal option would still be to have everything show the same custom background(s), of course. I believe in Nox 4 this was achieved by setting a fallback path in the respective viewmodes? Only choice I see now is to use curtains in video library.

(2014-05-10, 20:08)jkfde Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that is somewhere in the IncludeBackgroundBuildings.xml file. I will look at the code tomorrow if you cant figure it out.
Wow, I took a peek, but soon realised that my xml-knowledge begins and ends with the function of the 'posx' and 'posy' tags. Everything else is a mystery to me. :S
So, from the radio silence, I take it this is not easily accomplished? I know I could use 4.1.9.9 for Gotham, but that is still a bit too buggy for my liking.
In the includesBackgroundBuilding.xml file

line 114 sets the fallback for movies, tv shows, seasons, episodes.
line 137 does it for music, and a lot more other stuff.

But i'm pretty sure if you go in skin settings==>general ==> setup background images. in there you can set single or multiple images for each individual category. That has what you want without any code editing.
(2014-05-10, 20:22)BigNoid Wrote: [ -> ]Replace the default_bg.jpg in the backgrounds folder.

Thank you for this information, did the trick for me Smile
(2014-05-17, 08:42)jkfde Wrote: [ -> ]But i'm pretty sure if you go in skin settings==>general ==> setup background images. in there you can set single or multiple images for each individual category. That has what you want without any code editing.

Ok, it's been two months, but I just recently got around to playing with this some more. I can't believe I didn't see that option before! It totally did the trick, so I'm pleased as punch. Thanks.
I found my way to this thread while looking for how to change the home screen background default image setting (from gravity).

The skin settings==>general ==> setup background images above doesn't have an option to set this image.

Anybody know how? (unless changing the default_bg.jpg is the only way to do it?)
For those few instances where the Gravity background still shows, I haven't found any other way than renaming default_bg. But that does work.
(2014-08-22, 08:27)WeirdH Wrote: [ -> ]For those few instances where the Gravity background still shows, I haven't found any other way than renaming default_bg. But that does work.

I didn't either. Renaming was a good fix though.