Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playback stutters significantly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I just started struggling with playback that is stuttering. Here is the log file. appreciate any comments or tips. Running Gotham 13 and the most recent server wmc

http://pastebin.com/wLZJNR5v
Here are some additional details
1. ServerWMC is running on a host HTPC running WMC and XBMC.
2. There is no lag when WMC and XBMC are on the same computer
3. From a second computer running XBMC there is no lag when playing recordings saved on the host HTPC
4. The stuttering is pronounced when viewing video remuxed by ServerWMC on the second computer.

I don't remeber this bing an issue when I first set up the second computer so perhaps something in my configuration has changed.

There are some error messages in the ServerWMC log

2014/05/26 21:41:09.263 Convert2ClientPath> error path not resolved:
2014/05/26 21:41:09.264 Convert2ClientPath> inPath: http://images.windowsmedia.com/tvcards/org/4027_19.jpg
2014/05/26 21:41:09.264 Convert2ClientPath> local recording path: D:\Recorded TV\
2014/05/26 21:41:09.264 Convert2ClientPath> network recording path: smb://serverwmc:*********@BEYONDTV2-PC/Recorded TV
2014/05/26 21:41:09.264 Convert2ClientPath> returning input path unchanged
Sorry about that. You are getting a lot of errors on program image paths, and that's probably a bug that was introduced in the last rev of serverwmc since we made some changes there. I can't see how this can effect remux playback. To test can you reinstall the older rev of serverwmc (its on the download page if you don't have it) and see if these problems go away?
Yes, I appear to have broken program images for remote clients - that's the error you are seeing. I will put up a fix soon, thanks for pointing it out.
Thanks much for confirming that it isn't just me. I had actually tried going back to older versions of XBMC and confirmed that that wasn't the problem. I was going to try older versions of serverwmc tonight.
In case you don't get to rebuild it tonight, is there a recommended older version?
Either run the older version that is available on the download page or wait for the quick fix I'll try to put up this afternoon.
Krusty
I saw that you uploaded a new version.That seems to have eliminated the errors in the log file but not the stuttering.video. Stuttering made the video unwatchable. I went back to the previous version version. Although nto entirely stutter free, the playback is much better and is more than watchable. As I indicated, all of my movies are hosted on the same computer as ServerWMC and I can watch them without any problems at all.
Is your remote computer connected by wifi? And you are sure you don't see stuttering playing an already recorded wtv?
I am not using wifi. Using 500Mbs powerline. I will try playing the wtv files. The no stuttering was with movies in my video library.
The movies you are playing are typically far more compressed then a wtv file. Like my mkv files for a 2 hour movie are typically around 2gb, but that is typically just a half hour wtv. So to stream wtv you need a bigger pipe.
Changed back to version 1138. WTV that have already been recorded play back without any stuttering.
LiveTV still stutters badly.
I tried watching a show that was recording. Interesting behavior. The "buffering" prompt appeared and it took 20-30 sec to get to 100%. After it got to 100%video played ok for a sort bit then the playback stopped and buffering prompt reappeared and slowly counted back up to 100%

No stuttering (or very limited stuttering) with version 1135.

No stuttering on watching LiveTV through XBMC on the server running WMC and ServerWMC.
is it possible to try a traditional wired connection temporarily, to eliminate the powerline adapters from the equation?
Let me see what I can find, It is worth a check although don't have any problems playing back completed wtv recordingings
Fair enough. If it's not too much trouble it's still a good test to do.

So it sounds like you get the problems reading the TS file from a remux job remotely while it is being actively remuxed (but it doesnt happen locally). You'd assume if the local client can read a TS file being remuxed, the remote client should also be able to, ie your harddrive etc is up to that task of simultaneous read/write.

When you are testing with the remote client, is the local client idle (just to ensure you have a similar load/usage profile as when testing from the local client, otherwise you could potentially have problems with more than 1 active remux job simultaneously)?

Also another thing to test our assumption is if you turned on "remux all recordings" that now watching a completed recording (previously just a straight WTV file but now is being remuxed) shoudl result in the problem remotely (and not have the problem locally).

One other idea - turn off "delete temporary files" on debug tab, and watch a channel for a bit then stop it. See if you can play back the TS file (remuxed output from WTV file) over the network. If you can playback competed WTV files then Id assume you can also playback the completed TS but its worth a check. Dont forget to enable "delete temporary files" option again once you've finished testing
Also, post a link to the swmc log now that the error has been cleaned up after you have played a live stream. Maybe there will be a clue there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5