Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video stop with backspace button
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi there,

I am running openeelec 12.2 frodo XBMC.
I want to configure XBMC so that pressing the backspace button on keyboard (or remote) will stop a video at the same time as going back. Right now the video still plays when you press back which I don't like.

I know this has something to do with keymapping but I am not sure how to implement this on the Pi. If anyone could help me out with this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Colin
any ideas anyone?
See the "101 on keymaps" on keymaps (wiki).
map the "stop" action on backspace for the fullscreenVideo and fullscreenPVR windows
Thanks guys, but I can't get it to work.
I have this text saved as keyboard.xml

<keymap>
<fullscreeninfo>
<keyboard>
<backspace>stop</backspace>
</keyboard>
</fullscreeninfo>
</keymap>

It is saved in .xbmc\userdata\keymaps

As far as I can see, this should work. I am baffled why it doesn't. This is on Openelec 4.03. It also doesn't work on a windows 13 XBMC installation.

Any ideas? Would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Colin
Try installing and using the XBMC keymap editor program add-on instead of hand-crafting your own file.
please note that "fullscreeninfo" is the OSD info overlay which is shown when pressing "i" during video playback. What you want is "fullscreenvideo" and "fullscreenlivetv"
I tried keymap editor and that didn't work well. I could configure the backspace button to stop the video, but it then would not function as a backspace button

and changing to "fullscreenvideo" instead of "fullscreeninfo" has no effect either. I am completely baffled.

Anyone any other ideas?
Your remote might not be seen as a keyboard. Try using <remote> instead of <keyboard> (technically speaking, the file name doesn't matter).
Shall I give up on this nowHuh
@Colin you need to figure out which signal your remote is sending to XBMC in order to know which keymap + which button to remap. Try turning on the Debug Log and press the according button. The log will then tell you which signal was detected and the keycode of it (probably press is like 5 times in a row to find it more easily in the log). If you're not sure how to read the debug log, upload it to pastebin (or some other paste service), link it in here and I'll have a look.

In addition, have you tried to enable the following setting and see what happens then? "Settings -> System -> Input devices -> Remote control sends keyboard presses". Also try plugging a keyboard and use <keyboard> (as you did above) in your keymap to at least verify that it's working in general the way you want and you only have to find out how to map it to your remote.
(2014-06-05, 13:19)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]@Colin you need to figure out which signal your remote is sending to XBMC in order to know which keymap + which button to remap. Try turning on the Debug Log and press the according button. The log will then tell you which signal was detected and the keycode of it (probably press is like 5 times in a row to find it more easily in the log). If you're not sure how to read the debug log, upload it to pastebin (or some other paste service), link it in here and I'll have a look.

In addition, have you tried to enable the following setting and see what happens then? "Settings -> System -> Input devices -> Remote control sends keyboard presses". Also try plugging a keyboard and use <keyboard> (as you did above) in your keymap to at least verify that it's working in general the way you want and you only have to find out how to map it to your remote.

Sorry didn't see this earlier. Thanks for the kind offer to help. I actually already tried with the keyboard and it didn't work with that either. I will try again though and try the debugging too as you suggest.

I also tried doing the extra keymap on a windows PC with xbmc as well as the Pi and no luck with that either so I must be doing something fundamentally wrong. I was actually thinking of making changes in the system keyboard.xml file instead of putting an additional short one in usersdata.

Cheers,
Colin
You are trying to get one button to do two things. Stop playback is one action, go to home screen is another. You can't simply map one button press to two actions.

There may be some json-rpc way to do it. Or a short script triggered by keypress. But is it really that hard to press stop followed by back?

Changing the system keymap will get over written on upgrade. Just don't.
wait. do you want XBMC to return to home screen after stop or just do a regular stop which will take you to the previous screen.
(2014-06-08, 16:32)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]wait. do you want XBMC to return to home screen after stop or just do a regular stop which will take you to the previous screen.

Hi there. Just want a regular stop to take me back to previous screen. Just can't get it to work!
Pages: 1 2 3