Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Shutdown displays pop-up menu instead..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've noticed that the last couple of Neon releases (or perhaps XBMC is the culprit?) have changed the way the shutdown menu button works.

It used to be that pressing shutdown would actually do what you had set "shutdown" to do (could be shutdown of system or just close xbmc).
If you were standing on the shutdown button and pressed down, a sub menu would appear with the other choises as well.

This has changed for some reason. The sub menu is gone, and the shutdown button displays a pop-up menu with the different options, preventing you from just shutting down the system with a simple push of a button. I know there is a setting some where for controlling what the shutdown button does, but no matter what I choose, the pop up still displays.

I've tested this on my regular xbmc setup (Mac Mini with 13.1 Beta2) and just the other day a completely fresh install on a Windows machine.

I'll post screenshots if necessary Smile

EDIT:
The pop-up is the one discussed here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=196128

I can select just fine, but I don't want the stupid list appearing instead of the default action Sad
So the menu is acting exactly as it should. The problem is that each OS has different options available. Perhaps a setting can be added that allows you to choose one action to perform instead of the menu. The problem is that then you would lose access to the whole menu of options.

Can you explain where the default action choice is? I don't seem to be able to find it.
I don't think thats correct.
In all versions of XBMC + Neon I've used, you could get a sub menu when standing on the shutdown button by pressing down.
When just pressing the shutdown it would perform the action that has been set in settings some where.

Now the sub menu is gone and I've just spent 10min trying to find the default action setting, but it seems to have disappeared ...
What I'm saying is that behavior was replaced as the skin was made ready for Gotham. The problem is that Neon historically relied on the XBMC OS to have a lot more shutdown/exit options. As XBMC has added support for more OSes, each has brought its own set of allowed options. That is why the menu is currently there, to present only the relevant options to each OS.

That being said, I see no reason that a setting couldn't be added that overrides the menu and does a specific action straightaway. I'll try and cobble something together this weekend.

Added a commit for a setting that will allow you to choose what setting appears on the home menu, from any of the options your OS supports. It will also add the submenu if any other option than the default is chose.

https://github.com/bumpaneer/skin.neon/c...189eb3ce8f
(2014-06-07, 11:09)dknudsen Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think thats correct.
In all versions of XBMC + Neon I've used, you could get a sub menu when standing on the shutdown button by pressing down.
When just pressing the shutdown it would perform the action that has been set in settings some where.

Now the sub menu is gone and I've just spent 10min trying to find the default action setting, but it seems to have disappeared ...

dknudsen - the option you're looking for is hidden and you need to activate advanced or expert level for the settings for it to appear, but it still doesn't work for the Neon or Confluence skin, at least not for me.
I edited the home.xml-file mentioned in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1729448 and it worked for Confluence but not for Neon as I wasn't able to find that button in home.xml for Neon.

EDIT - Now I see Bumpaneer's addition above. For someone who obviously is quite new to this, I assume that that addition will make it in to an update of the skin eventually and/or I can just copy/paste and make all those changes by myself?
The XBMC setting under Settings - System - Power saving - shutdown function is normally bound to the power button on your remote.

@Bumpaneer, like the approach but I think the setting should go under Home Window. Can you change and force push? I'll pull it in together with the other one and bump the version.
Done
Awesome guys, looking forward to the release! Big Grin
ready to be pushed, will submit tomorrow morning, should autoupdate within the next few days.
Got the update now and it's working perfectly, thank you very much!