Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Alternatives to ATV2 for running XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Suggestions are most welcome as I am getting tired of the known crash and buffering issues running XBMC on ATV2 :-)
(2014-06-07, 12:29)micster01 Wrote: [ -> ]Suggestions are most welcome as I am getting tired of the known crash and buffering issues running XBMC on ATV2 :-)

I ended up buying an Ouya for XBMC. I sold my ATV2 (jailbroken) for a nice profit, and got an ATV3. The Ouya is pretty nice, though futzing about with Android is a pain, especially after being used to working with iOS. You might consider waiting a week or two to see what the Pivos Xios-XS is like after its imminent release.
Firetv should do everything atv2 can but more and better.
I have had Apple TV 2s running XBMC for a few years and recently got a couple of Fire TVs to run XBMC. I would say that overall, the XBMC experience on the FireTV is noticably faster (more powerful processor and more RAM), but there is apparently an audio sync issue with XBMC running on Android when streaming local content that kind of drives me crazy. I've set the default audio delay to match most of my stuff, but there are enough times where I have to correct the audio sync that I am considering which devices to keep. Again, though, the FireTV blows away the Apple TV 2 when it comes to loading the skin, files, streaming, etc. If there was a more consistent fix for the audio sync issue I wouldn't hesitate to suggest the Fire - but I still think it's a really good box, superior in almost every way to the ATV2.
Thanks guys.
Seriously considering the FireTV option, but it doesnt sound too good with audio sync issues!
Anybody else on FireTV that have had the same problems?
How about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/G-Box-Midnight-MX2...B00CH643A8

Or this Pivos?

http://www.amazon.com/XIOS-Streaming-Med...B0088IGPM8

But that sounds like a pain to install XBMC…

And will both of these and/or the FireTV support Kodi?
Intel NUC or ASUS Chromebox.
There's a hardware forum where you'll find enough information to make your brain hurt. For what it's worth, I bought a Celeron NUC for my parents and installed OpenElec on it. I had an old Microsoft-compatible remote lying around. Best xbmc/kodi experience I've had (I'm looking for an excuse to take it back). If you read the hardware forum, you'll find some that some people have issues with it. I don't think you'll find any box (apart from that custom htpc that you could probably put together yourself) that someone doesn't have issues with.

I still use my ATV2 btw. I removed all traces of xbmc from it (search the forums), installed Gotham and kept add-ons to a minimum. I do get crashes now, but they are rare enough that I can live with it until the perfect Kodi box comes along.
(2014-10-23, 08:56)dWooluf Wrote: [ -> ]I still use my ATV2 btw. I removed all traces of xbmc from it (search the forums), installed Gotham and kept add-ons to a minimum. I do get crashes now, but they are rare enough that I can live with it until the perfect Kodi box comes along.

Search the forums for what? XBMC? If you're referring to some magic solution to getting XBMC to work on ATV2 properly, I'd like to hear it.
Ive been thinking about getting the new Mac Mini as I believe I could still also use airplay but $499 seems kinda pricy. Maybe a used Mac MiniHuh
I've been using the ATV2 since they were first jailbroken and it was possible to put XBMC on them, and while they were pretty sluggish interface-wise, they were rock-solid and played pretty much everything I threw at them, until I updated to Gotham, when they started crashing on a fairly regular basis. With the limited memory and storage they have, it became apparent that unless I reverted to an older version of XBMC, I'd need to look for another solution.

After considering the Mini, openElec, and Windows based solutions, I decided to give Fire TV a try and it's turned out to be a great choice for me. My primary media sources are movies and shows I have stored on my NAS , Netflix, Hulu ,and Amazon Prime. One of my main considerations, and one of the things that makes the Fire TV a better choice for me over other Android boxes or Windows/Mac machines is the remote friendly versions of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Yes you can get those services on some of those other types of boxes but, I just really didn't want to have to pull out a keyboard, mouse or phone to control my media player. I wanted to be able to do it all with an ordinary remote control.

The FTV (admittedly, after a great deal of tweaking & switching to the SPMC fork), is really fast , rock-solid and plays everything I throw at it. It was very easy to set it up to launch directly into XBMC and then use XBMC as my launcher to get to the other apps. It even plays quite a few games very well, which is an added bonus. Being wife/kids friendly was an important factor to me, and it does that admirably.

If streaming Live TV through XBMC is critical to you, then the FTV is probably not a good choice, from all I've read. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend it.
ChipsAhoy, the most important question if you want smooth video output...

Does Fire TV running XBMC support 24p video output ?
and how are the video jitters when panning the camera whilst watching movies ?
As I understand it, the FTV ( and most Android boxes) don't support 24p and will do an automatic pulldown, but in practice this hasn't been an issue for me. Panning looks smooth to me as well.

Also, I believe HD audio is not supported either.

Neither of those limitations have been an issue for me, but YMMV.
(2014-10-26, 07:42)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]ChipsAhoy, the most important question if you want smooth video output...

Does Fire TV running XBMC support 24p video output ?
and how are the video jitters when panning the camera whilst watching movies ?

If you want proper 24p, see the suggestions in post 7.
(2014-10-25, 03:45)ctawn Wrote: [ -> ]Search the forums for what? XBMC? If you're referring to some magic solution to getting XBMC to work on ATV2 properly, I'd like to hear it.

Search the forums for how to completely remove xbmc from atv2. I reinstalled xbmc from scratch and my experience went from completely unusable to 'good enough for now'. No, it doesn't work properly. It crashes every few days. Not when I'm actually using it usually.
Pages: 1 2