Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Using mythtv backend from XBMC on a different coomputer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there something special I need to do in the backend to make it accessable from the myth pvr on XBMC on a different computer? I assumed I didn't need to install the mythtv backend or frontend on the other computer, just the mythtv PVR in XMBC. I have the correct IP, port, username, and password and I cannot access the tuners.
Both the mythtv database (run by mysql) and the mythbackend process need to be accessible from the network.

On the backend run the following command and post back the results.
Code:
sudo netstat -tanp |grep 3306

That will tell you what IP address mysql is listening on.

Then run a similar command to test for mythbackend
Code:
sudo netstat -tanp|grep myth|grep LISTEN
Here are the results, I am not sure what to do from here.
micah@micah-HTPC:~$ sudo netstat -tanp |grep 3306
[sudo] password for micah:
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:3306 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 984/mysqld
micah@micah-HTPC:~$ sudo netstat -tanp|grep myth|grep LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:6543 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2466/mythbackend
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:6544 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 2466/mythbackend
tcp6 0 0 fe80::beee:7bff:fe:6543 :::* LISTEN 2466/mythbackend
tcp6 0 0 ::1:6543 :::* LISTEN 2466/mythbackend
tcp6 0 0 fe80::beee:7bff:fe:6544 :::* LISTEN 2466/mythbackend
tcp6 0 0 ::1:6544 :::* LISTEN 2466/mythbackend
I tried following this guide with the exception of installing mythtv frontend on the other machine. It doesn't work. Was I supposed to replace any of the commands inside the parenthesis or the quotes?

http://emmanuelcontreras.com/content/how...tv-backend
OK both are listening on localhost only so we need to fix that.

I'll post agauin when I am home
These commands assume the backend machine is running ubuntu (or some form of *buntu like mythbuntu)

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
Answer 'yes' in the obvious place.

That should give database access to the network. restart the mysql server
Code:
sudo service mysql restart
and then run the code to test where it is listening again:
Code:
sudo netstat -tanp |grep 3306
you should now see it listening on 0.0.0.0 - ie all network addresses.

Now we need to get mythbackend to listen on your lan address. Make sure you know your backend computer's LAN IP address. Then start mythtv-setup and go into the first option. On the first page there should be two spaces to enter the IP address, they are probably set to 127.0.0.1. Change them to the LAN IP address and click through the next buttons, and you'll get back to the main mythtv-setup screen. Esc to exit, don't bother to run mythfilldatabase if it asks you.

Test again with the line from my earlier post
Code:
sudo netstat -tanp|grep myth|grep LISTEN
You should now see it listening on your LAN IP.
Well crap. I tried following your instructions but I am stuck at changing the IP address in the backend. I can change the one at the bottom but not the one at the top. I thought maybe it was from following the instructions on that link I posted, but I uncommented the bind address line and restarted mysql and it still won't let me change it. Is there anything else in those other instructions that will stop me from changing it?
What do you mean you can't change it? It is a simple matter of using the arrow keys to get there and then making the change.
No, I understand how to do it. What I am saying is when I have the first IP address at the top highlighted nothing works to change it. I can't backspace or delete or type any numbers. When I move down to the bottom one under master backend I can change that address to the proper IP address. I am worried something I did in that guide I posted in post #4 has it locked somehow. As I said I went back through his first steps and uncommented in the part where it says "bind address 127.0.0.1" but that hasn't seemed to make a difference.
Those two settings are unrelated. I don't know why you are unable to change the setting. Why you went to some other guide is beyond me.
I was just trying to figure it out but apparently the other guide was useless. Often times I don't get any help on the forums so I have to search the internet until I come across something that points me in the right direction. I am not sure why that is strange to you but I do appreciate your help. I will mess with it some more and see if I can figure it out.
Ok well, it was just me being stupid I guess. I assumed I had to enter the ip address in on the top one just like the bottom one but I had to use the left or right arrow key to scroll through the preselected ip address. I got that done and ran the listen command but it shows its still listening on 127.0.0.1. None the less, it is working now on the other computer. Thanks so much for your help.
micah@micah-HTPC:~$ sudo netstat -tanp|grep myth|grep LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:6543 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1713/mythbackend
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:6544 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1713/mythbackend
tcp6 0 0 fe80::beee:7bff:fe:6543 :::* LISTEN 1713/mythbackend
tcp6 0 0 ::1:6543 :::* LISTEN 1713/mythbackend
tcp6 0 0 fe80::beee:7bff:fe:6544 :::* LISTEN 1713/mythbackend
tcp6 0 0 ::1:6544 :::* LISTEN 1713/mythbackend
To clarify, it also shows it listening on 0.0.0.0 (all interfaces) and * (all ports).
But it also showed that before I changed the thing Nickr showed me to change. I guess I don't understand the listen command because the only thing different on it is it shows 1713/mythbackend instead of 2466/mythbackend.
Anyway, is it working?
Pages: 1 2