Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Power saving setting for shutdown Mythtv Backend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi everybody,

first of all i'm new here and hope to have a long stay.
I have already read some topic and the wiki of XBMC but i can't resolve some doubts for some setting.

I have the follow system:
- Mythtv backend for dvb-t on lan on Ubuntu system
- Some client XBMC connected to mythtv (Android, Mac)

All work well but because i don't want leave on the backend mythtv when i don't use xbmc or don't records and so i want to setting for shutdown when all xbmc client are offline and no record are programmed soon.
And power on backend when one client power on or it's time to record.

I read the wiki and i think that the Power saving options in xbmc are what i need.
Power Saving in /setting/system for wake up backend

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Set...wer_saving

And in tv/setting for shutdown

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Con...wer_saving

The problem is that in system for power on it's don't work.
And in tv setting i really don't understand how the remote command for shutdown work.

I have found some solution, like addons for wake up (but why if there build in function?) and some script for power off.
But i want a solution that i can put in all my clients without touch system under it, especially on android.

I hope someone can say to me some tips
Your post is confusing. At first you talk about putting the backend mythtv system to sleep when it is not being used. Then you talk about power saving on your XBMC client systems. So what is it you are trying to do?
I'm sorry if my post is confusing, maybe is the confusion in my mind about that.

So i try to explaine:

- Want to power off and power on mythtv server when one of my client go up and when all my clients go down and no recorder are coming soon.

For power on i have found a option in "/system/Power saving" -----> "Try to wake remote server on access"
But it doesn't work, mythtv don't power up so i have used "Advanced Wakeonlan" Add-on and it's work well.

But for power down?
I have found some options in "Live Tv/Power Saving" thath seems to work with backend and not with xbmc, so try to send some command to power down mythtv with parameters.
But don't work and i need help with it and mythtv configuration.
mythtv can work out when it is not needed and close down. This is therefore probably not an xbmc problem.
Maybe mythtv have the option you say, and go in stamby mode or off when the iddle time war reached.

But i would know how set the option of xbmc in Live tv/power saving where maybe could set the command to send to the backend.
Well I think you are going about it the wrong way.
Well maybe it's so, i'm only try to figure it out with that problem.
Because if i have more client and some Android, how can power off when i not need background? And set an idle could be a chance but don't want increase the time for use the tv too, when use it already have a lag for the dvb decoder for start live tv, if i have to wait the start of mythtv too it's became unusable.

So for understand the function of xbmc what's the use of the options that i mention above?
I read the wiki (link in the first post) but i understand half of it.
Hi

Wakeup ;
"Wake on access" is (unfortunately) not used by Live-TV
(wake on access is a new feature, live-tv is older and would have to be changed to use it)

There is a feature request already for that here

Shutdown ;
I agree with nickr this should be handled by backend, not by client(s)
Thanks for reply,

So i understand that right now the wake up don't work with PVR but only with shares.

So on for shutdown there isn't a way to do what i asked?
I understand that normally the backend do it for it's self but can i understand the use of the option page mention above?
It's have to need for something don't? I think is for what i need, it's not so i would to know what's it use.
Use the mythtv functionality that allows it to shut down when no client is accessing and there are no recordings due. For more help look ATV= the mythtv docs or consult their mailing list,
Ok thanks, i have already read some docs for mythtv and going on to do that.

But seems to be noone would to reply to my question on XBMC, could someone explain to me this option page?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Con...wer_saving

Anyway i try to figure it out, because if no client use Live Tv mythtv could idle than shutdown, but if after a film of 2 hour i would see TV? I have to restart xbmc for WOL? I have to wait all the time needed from mythtv for boot and then see my channel? If a client don't use TV don't want to mythtv to shutdown because client could use it.
The pvr power-saving-page you refer to is the explanation of those settings
Each setting is described, one by one, so there really is nothing to add
And is not usefull for what i want to do?
seems to be usefull for send command to the backend from xbmc, or not?
I can't understand this one function and i ask for help.

Set wakeup command (cmd[timestamp]) The command to execute. Defaults to '/usr/bin/setwakeup.sh'.

The above script have to be on xbmc client pc? Where to place it? E.g. for android or windows or Mac? and same script will work on different O.S.?
I can't start a script on remote pc from it?

I'm sorry for my questions but really don't understand some thing and don't found other explain of that.
I think that option assumes that the backend is on the same machine and is for backends that dont have this functionality.

My mythtv backend sleeps automatically when not in use and I have never enabled any of those xbmc settings.
Like others have said, youre going about this the wrong way. Mythtv has this functionality built in (plus more), so set it up on your backend. If you want to watch tv wake the backend using advanced wake on lan addon, or a wake on lan program that is available for every major operating system I have used. The mythtv addon can wake a backend too, although I have never used it so I cant comment on how it works A pc takes a few seconds to be useable after being woken (even faster with the 3.15 kernel) so this is a non issue.
So, it's not what i want do, i know what mythtv can do and i can at this point power up backend with addons.
And mythtv WOL addons option not work perfectly i see but there are other addons for do that, it's almost the same.

But not shutdown how i need.

Anyway i finally understand the use of option mention above, the fact that could be used with front/backend in same machine.

I try to figure it out in other way so, because there isn't a option for do that, now i would try to modify the power down procedure of XBMC for do what i want.

i'm study on it right now.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=115693
Pages: 1 2