Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Bluetooth Remote (+ keyboard?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I tried to do my due diligence and searched the threads about Android bluetooth remotes here and didn't find answers, but if someone has already answered this question in another thread please just point me there.

I'm looking for a simple, solid bluetooth based remote that was meant for Android (has buttons home, back, dpad etc.).

I have a few different Android based HTPC devices laying around the house (Nexus Q, Ouya, Asus Qube), but the Ouya has been the one that has worked the best for me so far and it's become the primary means of media consumption for my wife, kids and I. The one thing that we're lacking is a remote like the ones I often see included with alot of the rockchip all-in-one Android HTPC boxes on the web (Pivos, Tronsmart etc.).

I tried the Rii Mini I6 because I thought the idea of having a keyboard on the other side was interesting, but it turns out that the keyboard side was terrible and that the media remote side, the one I cared the most about, was actually infrared and not Bluetooth.

I need something with a really simple button layout, so does anyone have a recommendation of a simple Android-friendly bluetooth HTPC remote?
So I found something similar to what I had in mind - a media center remote that was designed for Android and looks like it typically comes bundled with an Android HTPC box, but for sale separately.

http://www.tmart.com/Android-Quad-Core-2...66253.html

Unfortunately, its IR Sad I may have spoiled myself with the PS3 bluetooth remote
So why not use the PS3 remote?
(2014-07-27, 04:05)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]So why not use the PS3 remote?
I tried the ps3 remote with an ouya and it randomly disconnects and the battery drains quickly
Try to K400 or mele f10 pro
I'm also interested in getting away from my IR remote. The issue has been that the I've had issues with getting CEC to work from PC (win7) <-> Onkyo receiver <-> TV

Anyone have a full HT setup working with a CEC device, on Win7?

Here's another (no experience with it, just posting)... http://www.amazon.com/Aerb-Multifunction...pd_cp_pc_3
(2014-07-27, 14:03)Qefx Wrote: [ -> ]Try to K400 or mele f10 pro

I've been looking at the Mele F10 Pro and it might work, just means sacrificing a USB port for the RF receiver.

Are both sides of the remote RF? I see conflicting specs on some sites that say its also IR.
So, taking Bluetooth off the table (because BT options are few and far between) I went looking for an RF solution. The Mele F10 Pro looks like a solid option, but looking at pictures of the button placement it seems to focus more on being an air mouse than being a media remote. I wanted something with big obvious "Home", "Back" and "Option" buttons to get around Android so I would have as few as possible "Honey I know this button has this icon, but it really does X" conversations.

I found this option for $15 on eBay (from China) that seems like it might do the trick
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161236830101

If it's terrible, at least I'm only out $15 :/
How did it work? I'm facing the same question now.
To be honest, it didn't really work that well for me and I'm still without a good solution.

It turns out this remote is *primarily* meant to be used as an air mouse and defaults to air mouse/pointer mode when you use it. In order to use it as a normal directional navigation remote you have to press the little red pointer button below the dpad every time you pick it up. That and the fact that it took a lot of work to get the button key codes so I could map them to work correctly in Android AND xbmc/kodi finally just made it not worth my time.

It's sitting on my desk doing nothing now :/

If you find something that is simple that works well, please share
Drewdah- Have you thought about buying any old generic BT remote and just remapping the buttons? Here's what I did: I bought a cheap BT mini keyboard and used Tasker. Pictured here: http://cdn.geardiary.com/wp-content/uplo...ard_03.jpg

After months and months of trying to figure this out... I finally found my solution with an plug-in for Tasker (Android app) called AutoInput by author, Joaoapps.
My setup is like this: all of the letters work as normal, but the numbers along the top have been remapped. Number 1 is play/pause, 2 is rewind 8 seconds, 3 is skip forward 8 seconds, 4 turns captions on/off etc...

It works more or less like this: When the Tasker profile is active and I press "1", AutoInput supresses the"1" input (event) from the key and it isn't received as an instruction. It still picks it up, but it doesn''t pass along the intent? command? to print a "1". Nothing visible happens. It is still registered on some level, though. The second step is to tell Tasker/AutoIntent that when it receives a "1" it should emulate a keystroke called KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE. You can choose from many different keycodes to suite your needs. I've tried remapping in the past, but it never worked. Perhaps because the original key wasn't being suppressed.

Check out keycodes here: http://developer.android.com/reference/a...Event.html

I don't really like the layout of this crap KB so I'm looking for something more ergonomic on eBay. I am assuming I can remap any command on the remote to suit my needs. We'll see.

I decided to do all of this bc I'm trying to learn some foreign languages and I needed a 5-second replay for YouTube on my Chromecast. (Easier to learn with repetition.)
I start the video playing on my Nexus 5 and cast the app to the TV. When I don't understand a word, I rewind the video. It works so freakin' well. I have tweaked my setup it to run on alternative YouTube players (Viral Lite) as well.

Please let me know if it worked out well for anyone. I'd really like to know. Peace.
(2014-08-23, 09:41)Drewdah Wrote: [ -> ]So, taking Bluetooth off the table (because BT options are few and far between) I went looking for an RF solution. The Mele F10 Pro looks like a solid option, but looking at pictures of the button placement it seems to focus more on being an air mouse than being a media remote. I wanted something with big obvious "Home", "Back" and "Option" buttons to get around Android so I would have as few as possible "Honey I know this button has this icon, but it really does X" conversations.

I found this option for $15 on eBay (from China) that seems like it might do the trick
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161236830101

If it's terrible, at least I'm only out $15 :/

@Drewdah,
I was taking a look at this same 2.4GHz RF air-mouse remote to use with a new Chromebox (that will be placed out-of-sight in a closet), and there has been some (imperfect) success disabling the mouse/cursor in Windows and Android as discussed here.

Also, if you really don't need the keyboard, some folks seem happy with both the Fire TV Stick remote ($15 on Amazon) and Xbox One Media Remote ($25 everywhere). Both are simple uncrowded Bluetooth remotes, the Xbox One has a nifty motion activated backlight feature that lights the buttons when picked up too.

I haven't used either, although I am waiting for a Fire TV stick to come so I will definitely try that remote with Kodi on Chromebox/OpenElec...
I just ordered this remote and am waiting for it.
Goal was to have a very simple remote for my parents.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arriv...92432.html

I like the button layout and it does not have any air mouse gyro nonsense.

I can let you know how good it is once I get it delivered